• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you pay more, less or the same for a CGC new label book?

17 posts in this topic

Is there any noticeable difference in CGC's grading since the new label came out? If you had a choice between the same book in the old label or the new label which would you buy? Which would you pay more for?

Eric

I'm curious if there will be a difference in a few years when the micro-chambers in the old style will allegedly become disfunctional. thumbsup2.gif

Its true that the good thing about the new label is that you can tell its a recently graded book...and that might apeal to some. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are one of two things that will happen....

One.....CGC grading remains constant......the new labels will steadily become more in demand due to the "freshness" of the label.

Two....CGC grading will change.....that will cause one of two scenarios. If the grading is perceived to be looser then the old labels will be more in demand. If they are perceived to be stricter then the prices for those with old labels will fall dramatically.

Jim

In books that I can remember offhand, I think on ebay people are paying more for the newer labels - I can only recall a handful of books in the silver/early bronze books I collect but I think I have noticed higher prices on the fresh labels.

I've noticed the same thing. There's been talk that CGC's gotten stricter recently as well. I don't have any new label books yet, and haven't submitted in a while, so I'm not sure if there is truth to it or if it's just marketing fluff. Either way, I have notice a slight premium being paid on newer labeled books.

The question is pointless anyway. It only takes $10.00 to have a new label put on your book by CGC, so any old labels are easily and cleaply replaced, so who cares?!?! I've already had a few older labeled books reholdered and they got the new labels. No difference.

Timely

If the question is pointless, why bother to answer? But thanks for pontificating. The issue is not pointless for the exact reason you bring up. If people will pay signifigantly more for a newer label then that will encourage folks to spend money to get things re-holdered or regraded because of the perceived superiority of the newly graded books. It has nothing to do with whether or not the freshly graded books are actually any better. I have many of the newly graded books in 9.4 and 9.6 and they look no different than how cgc previously graded.

I had never considered the whole have the book put in a new label angle but I see where Timely is coming from. I was actually wondering if the grading was any different hence the question but my question was obviously flawed.

Eric

sign-offtopic.gif Did you go to the con AK?

Nope....I had to work all weekend. I'm not too crazy about cons, anyway.