• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your violent covers ******Viewer discretion is advised*****

83 posts in this topic

321c_3-1.jpg

This reminds me of when my English teacher in high school scheduled a talk by Ray Bradbury at our high school (1971) and then told us we would have a half-hour to talk to Ray after the lecture, so I brought 2 EC books (can't even remember which ones) to the deal for him to sign and got them signed and then somewhere along the line completely lost track of them (I was with a group of comic collectors at the time that we suspected at least one or two people were ripping each other off of their books)...always assumed they got ripped but the session with Ray was great and I actually had another "comic-related" encounter with him about 10 years ago that I will share that story another day...

OK, I can't wait any longer. Anyone with Fight Against Crime #20, please post it. (Selling it to me immediately after that is strongly recommended.)

It and CDNP #24 are my two favorites, followed closely by CC's SuspenseStories #17.

A great thread.

I bought that copy of CSS 17 off ebay recently. :P

Also waiting on a copy of FAC 20 from a board member, but I don't have it in hand yet. The seller may still have a scan of it...

Great book. I once owed it before Mark (leeboy), and was wondering who purchased it.

carolinacomics

another great issue:

759_4_20.jpg

That is a FANTASTIC cover! :headbang:

Now the last page of that story was unexpected. I'll be remembering this one for a long time.

The listing on Metropolis makes much more sense now: "Extremely extreme violence."

u8.jpg

I don't know what's more disturbing. The actuall page or the person that came up with this concept :o

Now the last page of that story was unexpected. I'll be remembering this one for a long time.

The listing on Metropolis makes much more sense now: "Extremely extreme violence."

u8.jpg

I don't know what's more disturbing. The actuall page or the person that came up with this concept :o

This penny-dreadful type story is so shockingly, blandly amoral that it reminds me of the 19th century book of children's cautionary tales, Struwwelpeter. That book (which gave me nightmares as a child) is a slice of pure middle European cruelty. In a way you could call it a precursor to such pre-code gruesomeness...

u8.jpg

Actually.....this story is based on a true story of the murder "Belle Guiness" who did most of her killing in LaPorte, Indiana (the town I grew up in!).

Which is even more disturbing.......