• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dreaded Half Point Drop

11 posts in this topic

Just found out that my journey into mystery #83 that was a 4.0 is coming back a 3.5 after submitting it with a witnessed Stan Lee signature. Kinda disappointing to say the least. I know it all balances out in the end, but this really illustrates the courage of collectors who add signatures to their comic books because it isn't always going to increase the value.

I paid a lot for that one, I'm probably facing a net loss on this deal, although my intention was to keep the comic book of course. I'll probably get some great grades on other books I've submitted, so I just need to be patient.

I think CGC should really push the grades up on signature books, after all, they have a quality and uniqueness about them that plain old comic books don't have. What say you gods of the signature room?

I think CGC should really push the grades up on signature books, after all, they have a quality and uniqueness about them that plain old comic books don't have. What say you gods of the signature room?

I say you smoking crack!

Leave well enough alone

Yes, I'm probably smoking crack. Just look at how much I spend on comic books and how much time and effort I put into chasing Stan Lee's signature. And I'm probably also crazy that thinking an artist or creator's signature makes the ink and paper that forms a comic book more unique, special and valuable.

Artificially pushing the grades up on an SS book is never going to happen as it would be a complete disregard to the existing system and would be introducing falsely graded items into the secondary market.

The quality and uniqueness of the autographed book is expressed in the yellow label itself and the confidence that people have in it.