• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone notice severe rippling in 1989-92 Marvels?

30 posts in this topic

:bump:

Bumping this because there didn't seem many stabs at how this affects grade. Is this a personal thing for the grader?

I'm asking because I've got a copper collection I'm readying for market and there are books in it with this defect. It's in my notes and will be disclosed but, for grading, should this be assumed to be a printing defect?

Many of the books that have the waviness are otherwise in the 9.2-9.6 range. I note the waviness and brought them down to 9.0 maximum. Other defects bring it down from there.

The only mention in the thread was to make it an automatic VG so I bumped it to see if there's any opinions on how I plan to handle it.

Sounds like CGC treats it as a production defect then. It is odd ... when bagged you can't see it's there and, even when you have it out of the bag there's plenty of times you can't see it unless it's angled to a light.

Sounds like I'm on the right track and, even a bit conservative by CGC standards.

I'm glad this thread exists. All along I though my Web of Spideys were just stored improperly. I had even noted the "problem" in my software in case of future sale, but knew in the back of my mind they wouldn't get a dollar anyway. :insane:

Marvel (and everyone else) was playing around with their paper stock all throughout these years....remember the Jan, 1991 Marvels and DCs? Printed on that thick, heavy coverstock? The kind that looked like it oozed grease onto the cover?

Bleagh.