• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't it time GRADING notes were printed on the CGC label?

87 posts in this topic

This is something I have personally desired for EONS now, and think it would add a great quality to the "slab" itself. It's quite a pertinent detail to collectors like myself, and having to call in all the time for these notes; is in my opinion, a waste of time hm

Drives me nuts, wish this were to become a reality...I really do

As evidenced from the last label change...it has been decided that LESS is MORE.

Plus, can you imagine notes on a label on a low grade book...the label would have to be as big as the book!

I would be satisfied with online query access if I so desired.

As evidenced from the last label change...it has been decided that LESS is MORE.

Plus, can you imagine notes on a label on a low grade book...the label would have to be as big as the book!

I would be satisfied with online query access if I so desired.

Solid point, so how about a TIER at which point notes would be included? Say an 8.5 and up? No offense to anyone that collects mid to lower grade copies, but the notes I would think are more important to HIGH grade collectors? No?

Sterl CGC is making a policy of including even less notes on books that are now graded. This is a sad situation.

As buyers become more educated CGC will need to evolve with the market. Reducing the amount of info CGC provides only opens the door to a competitor who will try to provide more info at a lower price.

When CGC was pushed to decrease waiting times for grading books, they responded well. They added more graders and reduced times.

Let's see how they do with this latest issue.

People have been asking for more notes for years. I have been asking them at almost every show. It would be so easy to make notes available online. There are so many advantages to this.

1) everyone that wants notes would be forced to become a Collectors Society member...more revenue for them.

2) graders would not have to be pulled aside *multiple* times a day to talk to me and everyone else. Reduced costs.

3) The biggest benefit IMO is that notes would be available outside 9 - 5:30 reg business ours...and this is a BIG problem as I do a lot of buying on weekends and holidays. It really stinks to want to buy a book and not be able to get an idea of what is going on with the book except for a small scan or a quick look with poor lighting at a con.

There are so many positives and so few negatives I think they need to rethink this strategy.

R.

I think many people are under the impression that the grader's notes are very comprehensive across the board and were eventually intended for possible public consumption. It's my understanding that the notes were developed as more of a "in-house" tool for CGC reference.

When I lobbied to have the grader's notes available when accessing the serials via the collector's society, I came away with the understanding that it would not happen because they were not always as complete as expected and also entered on occasion in a more "casual/less professional-prepped fashion".

It would only be common sense to have done this (online) long ago if there was not a good reason not to from CGC's perspective. It would save them hundreds upon hundreds of man hours a year answering calls for them.

I don't believe its ever going to happen online and certainly not on the label.

You'll just have to call... but the limit is (3) requests a day last I heard.

Bruce they are NOT comprehensive, you are correct and they are not easy to understand but it would not take very much time to educate a data programmer on how to interpret them and not long to enter them.

In this day and age of books selling for $10,000's it should be an available service that would give CGC yet another edge over the competition or any up and coming competition.

R.

Bruce they are NOT comprehensive, you are correct and they are not easy to understand but it would not take very much time to educate a data programmer on how to interpret them and not long to enter them.

In this day and age of books selling for $10,000's it should be an available service that would give CGC yet another edge over the competition or any up and coming competition.

R.

...on a million+ books? I think it may be a pretty big task all in all.

Another misconception out there is that CGC "itself" is a very profitable business.

I'm not sure that (however minor an expense it may be relatively speaking) the guy calling the shots Scott? would agree that spending more time/money on repairing the notes for public consumption would be in their best interests and worth the expense overall.

The expense would likely be greater in comparison to just having someone answer the calls for them... and some people would call anyway so they could discuss or argue if need be even if the notes were available online.

Point is, sure it can be done (fixing the data), but realistically is anyone going to stop using CGC services over that issue? Doubtful. I imagine there's not enough cost benefit to do so or they would.

We are in agreement with one thing at least. It sure would be nice... I pushed for it around 3 years ago maybe more because it seemed like a "no brainer".

I also think it is totally reasonable to expect the notes due to the amount of TIME that they keep your books. I mean they scan all their books as well. That is time consuming too.

You are right, I guess there is no $ incentive for them to do it.

no matter how insurmountable it seems to complete a task like this, it will only be more and more difficult in the future. hopefully the notes going forward are, at the very least, being saved in a data table somewhere. The actual effort of making the notes accessible is extremely minimal... provided the notes actually exist somewhere in a digital form.

Data Entry is the only part of this that would be hard or time-consuming. Even if they don't end up doing it, I'd sleep better knowing that the data pieces are least in place so that it would not be so time-consuming to make it happen in the future if desired. :)

The notes will not kill CGC but it would definitely be a competitive edge for someone else getting into the business.

How long and how much could it possible cost to enter short hand of 10-20 words for 1 MIL books at a low wage?

R.

hopefully the notes going forward are, at the very least, being saved in a data table somewhere.

Where is this idea coming from that the notes aren't already in their system? I'm pretty sure that they are already in there. They're most likely just highly abbreviated and incomplete and would cause more problems for CGC than they solved with collectors constantly complaining that the notes on their book suck. I'm sure many of us can accept crappy notes with incomplete sentences and misspellings, but just as many people would find that unprofessional and complain endlessly about it. So it's probably easier to create that human interface to them, to verbally filter out the bad notes.

(shrug) got me...

but the real question is... why spend if it does not produce a greater return. Unfortunately, that's sound business thinking in many instances even though the end user will disagree because they want more from the service/product.

Bruce to me it's one of those things that just make me scracth my head and go huh? The online access is a no brainer for me. I fell bad for interuppting their day but I am going to continue to call...and that will only increase as I continue to buy more and more books...at larger prices and in larger quantities.

I think they will eventually include it as a part of their service. There are only going to be more and more people calling for notes as buyers become more saavy. Their phones are already busy full time almost every time I call...and if a competitor ever comes onto the scene you can bet it will happen.

It's only a matter of time.

It all depends on the method they're using to store the notes, and the quality of said notes. I mean, CGC makes the census available to multiple people to slash up, why wouldn't they be able to make their notes database available, too?

I think it has to be an issue with the quality and type of notations that have been made in the past, than any technological impediment

The notes will not kill CGC but it would definitely be a competitive edge for someone else getting into the business.

How long and how much could it possible cost to enter short hand of 10-20 words for 1 MIL books at a low wage?

R.

That's a faulty argument - they already have the notes in their database, alongside all the other information they record about any book that they grade. I mean, how would they otherwise be able to look them up when you call in & ask for the graders' notes?

I personally don't want any more stuff cluttering up the label, but having the notes be available online to anyone with a Collector's Society membership is a no-brainer - I'm, quite frankly, amazed they haven't done this yet seeing how much phone-time it would save them.

(shrug) got me...

but the real question is... why spend if it does not produce a greater return. Unfortunately, that's sound business thinking in many instances even though the end user will disagree because they want more from the service/product.

Bruce to me it's one of those things that just make me scracth my head and go huh? The online access is a no brainer for me. I fell bad for interuppting their day but I am going to continue to call...and that will only increase as I continue to buy more and more books...at larger prices and in larger quantities.

I think they will eventually include it as a part of their service. There are only going to be more and more people calling for notes as buyers become more saavy. Their phones are already busy full time almost every time I call...and if a competitor ever comes onto the scene you can bet it will happen.

It's only a matter of time.

I hope you're right... I already fought that battle and assumed it lost.

Keep at it.

(thumbs u