• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail on the 'Bay

60 posts in this topic

Here it is . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180285113554&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Assuming it is real, what does the appearance of this on a public sale mean?

Market hit its peak?

High level collector leaving the hobby?

Other?

As always, I'm interested in your thoughts.

Best regards.

- Artemis

Here it is . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180285113554&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Assuming it is real, what does the appearance of this on a public sale mean?

It's real -- it means that the seller wants to sell it

Market hit its peak?

Doubt it

High level collector leaving the hobby?

Doubt it

Other?

Probably -- maybe you should e-mail the guy and ask him.

- Artemis

'Market hit its peak'.... that is a very strange and out of left field assumption based upon this appearance on ebay. Perhaps the seller merely wants the cash that selling this piece would bring... if it meets a reserve acceptable to him.

No assumptions Dan, only questions.

But the market based question is not out of left field.

Many many posters on these boards have speculated that when the market hit a peak we would see top level pieces for public sale.

To me, this is a top level piece, and a question about the market status is one of many possible ones that can be asked when you see a piece like this for public sale.

To an outside observer (not entirely true, I met and hung out with the seller at the NYCC but don't claim to know him well), it looks like this to me:

A. He buys really nice pieces.

B. These pieces show up for sale in various venues not long afterwards.

Call me krazy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw a line from point A to point B and figure out he hasn't been buying for the long run. :yeahok:

As for whether the market has topped/is topping, I don't think that this one piece necessarily says anything about that. However, I will say that Krazy Kat had been tipping OA to rise along with other "hard assets" (how many times did we hear him say that?) Well, in case you've been living in a cave for the past 65 days, many hard assets (energy, agriculture, metals, etc.) have crashed in price - some have lost more than 40% of their value in this short time. The U.S. dollar has surged to multi-year highs against many currencies during this time as well.

Caveat emptor.

meh. that splash is about as good as it gets and while no piece is immune if the money dries up, I can think of worse things to own. I'd be a lot more worried about garbage 5k garbage bronze age covers (or 9.8 bronze books) holding their price than items like an action 1 or this splash.

meh. that splash is about as good as it gets and while no piece is immune if the money dries up, I can think of worse things to own. I'd be a lot more worried about garbage 5k garbage bronze age covers (or 9.8 bronze books) holding their price than items like an action 1 or this splash.

I agree and I'd also say that the eventual buyer of this piece probably isn't too concerned about the investment potential/return -- more likely this will go to a long-time collector who will make it "disappear" for many years.

Pieces like this find their way to collections that appreciate them fully and then they hardly (if) ever leave.