• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail on the 'Bay

60 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting the listing; I'd have missed it, otherwise. This is an absolute grail for us old school (original) X-Men fans. I'd have loved to have had it.

It seems strange to see this on eBay because we've heard that most of the truly great pieces don't experience any kind of public offering. Instead, the big money OA collectors deal privately among themselves...or so the rumor goes.

As I imagine it, the Super Secret Society of Comic Art Collectors meets in dark alleys, exchanges train cases of hundred dollar bills/euros/pounds for prime OA, and the finest of the finest comic art disappears into a vault, never to be seen again.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't thrown away my membership application to the S.S.S.C.A.C.

Thanks for posting the listing; I'd have missed it, otherwise. This is an absolute grail for us old school (original) X-Men fans. I'd have loved to have had it.

It seems strange to see this on eBay because we've heard that most of the truly great pieces don't experience any kind of public offering. Instead, the big money OA collectors deal privately among themselves...or so the rumor goes.

This seller has previously put high-profile pieces on ebay. I imagine he does it because (A) he sees it as a way to let the world know a certain piece is available, and (B) he can then field offers offline and not have to pay any fees. Funny how many of his auctions have ended due to those pesky listing errors. I HATE when that happens! ;)

Too late! Someone else made the decision for you.

So, is this another page headed for the Eric Roberts vault? Is anyone else shelling out the really big bucks in this credit crunched environment or has the OA market become a one-man show?? (shrug)

As I imagine it, the Super Secret Society of Comic Art Collectors meets in dark alleys, exchanges train cases of hundred dollar bills/euros/pounds for prime OA, and the finest of the finest comic art disappears into a vault, never to be seen again.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't thrown away my membership application to the S.S.S.C.A.C.

Believe it or not -- a lot of OA really does move this way -- often times you only see art publicly once it's been offered to several people first who have passed. This piece is no exception.

please don't flame me, but this page does nothing for me.

Nor me. :o

Paul Reinman inking Kirby was not a good match.

Historically, I can appreciate the importance of the piece . . . but, aesthetically, the artwork's not my cup of coffee (I don't drink tea!). (shrug)

I appreciate what your saying, Reinman had a very unsympathetic line, quite crude really, He is up there along with Bell as a bit of a hack inker, but this is pure nostalgia and early examples such as this and issue 2 and Avengers 2 & 3 have become highly desirable. If I could afford it I would buy this like a shot and his Avengers 1 splash too (;-)

Clem

Well it took some work but this page is making its way into my collection. ;)
:o Seriously??? WOW!

(worship)

Did you have to take out a 2nd mortgage? Refinance your car? ....or maybe you just have a huge nest-egg. :shrug:

I'm assuming the wink means he's joking...no offense to the poster, but it would be a little odd for someone who lists his holy grail as the Jack of Hearts #1 cover art to be buying the X-Men #1 splash. doh!

I'm assuming the wink means he's joking...no offense to the poster, but it would be a little odd for someone who lists his holy grail as the Jack of Hearts #1 cover art to be buying the X-Men #1 splash. doh!

Yeah, that's true hm

Well yes, he still has the Avengers 1 splash on his Caf, but when he had the complete X-Men 1 for sale, he did eventually sell the majority of the interiors pages through different sources. I do get the feeling though that there is a price tag that he would accept. Doesn't seem overly attached to these having touted them around.

Clem...

More fodder for the market peak theory. According to the listing, this is the first non-stat original art appearance of Daredevil currently in existence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320295261250&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

This seller honestly states that he is "testing the waters" which people often do when markets hit or approach a peak. Something to think about. . . .

Like Hal Turner, I am happy about the public nature (such as it is) of the current sales of (or efforts to sell) these high end pieces. This transparency contributes to the education and enjoyment of all of the persons who participate in this hobby.

Best regards.

- A

More fodder for the market peak theory. According to the listing, this is the first non-stat original art appearance of Daredevil currently in existence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320295261250&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

This seller honestly states that he is "testing the waters" which people often do when markets hit or approach a peak. Something to think about. . . .

Like Hal Turner, I am happy about the public nature (such as it is) of the current sales of (or efforts to sell) these high end pieces. This transparency contributes to the education and enjoyment of all of the persons who participate in this hobby.

Best regards.

- A

He has tested the water over and over with this one. I am confused to why he assumes that the DD 1 cover does not exist? Marvel clearly took a stat of the cover for the splash but that does not prove anything.

Clem

I will say that when this page hits an actual value of 100k, then we are probably at the market peak,.... but we got a loooooong way to go on that one. ;)

Best regards.

- A

please don't flame me, but this page does nothing for me.

I think you're smokin' something :P but I guess it all depends on how much you like vintage marvel SA stuff :) with halfass kirby ff pages getting five figures to me this is an easy six figure piece. But I'm not paying that kinda dough so its all just screaming in the wind unless someone bucks up