• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st time setting up as a dealer at a show, anyone got any pointers?

22 posts in this topic

Well there will be a small one day comic show being held in South Florida this Sunday (pending if Hurricane Ike hits us, like he did Tina ZING).

The promoter, a good friend of mine and a good guy all around asked if I would want to set up (for FREE) and sell some of my books. He noticed that other then Crazy Ed, not to many comic guys would be there selling CGC books and he knew I had emassed a pretty nice collection.

So I spent the last few days purchasing PVC and put together a pretty respectable 6x4 foot display for the CGC and wall comics to go on. I will also be putting out a few $1 boxes and $3 (signed book) boxes of comics out on the two tables I will be provided, and a bunch of Star Wars/Marvel Legends style sealed figures to thin out my collection.

For CGC books I will be selling my undercopies of some books (9.6 a below's) and some really nice 9.8's and Fallen Son/Secret Invasion books. Most will be signature series CGC.

I will be bringing small bills and a small lock box to keep money, but how much change should I bring?

My girlfriend has agreed to man the table with me, so at least we will have 2 sets of eyes and 4 hands to help out.

Any other pointers/suggestions would trully be appreciated.

As always Anthony I can count on you to contribute nothing helpful or relevant to the topic at hand. Thank you sir, now where is that Conan nude variant I have been using as packaging material :)

#1. When it comes to change, if you have $1 and $3 items, make sure you have lots of $1's and enough $5's. I'm not sure how crowded this show is, but more is better than less. You'll be amazed how many people will "only" have $20's they got from the ATM. (Of course, by the law of inverses, you will see MORE 20's if you don't bring enough change, and less 20's if you are well stocked in change. But that is how it works)

#2. Bring some drinks and snacks with you, in case you're stuck behind your table most of the day. When you set up, learn where the closest bathroom is. (sounds simple, but it's better to know first thing than to be looking when you're in need)

#3. Comfortable shoes. Expect to be standing and talking most of the day.

#4. I like to bring extra post-it notes, markers, and stickers to update prices on books, etc.

#5. Make sure the hottest stuff is front and center and easily visible. If I know something is red hot (geez, what is red hot nowadays? Secret Invasion variants?) I will price it a little higher than necessary (& maybe not show the price) and not make deals on it, specifically so people will stop and look at it. Once they stop, they may buy something else. This is up to you.

#6. You may want a copy of Wizard or Overstreet with you. One of the fun benefits I've had of running a table is that people may come up to you to sell you stuff, and it's helpful to have a guide so you know if it's worth trading or buying it. (Of course, what you really need is a laptop w/WiFi or Broadband Access to get GPA to get REAL prices. But that's probably a stretch.)

#7. Come as early as you can to set up. You will be amazed how the other dealers will swarm around the "new dealer" and try to pick off your best stuff to put on their tables during the day. Make a deal that benefits you and them, not just them. Having enough time to set up will give you time to walk around before the show opens, and handle any swarming dealers.

#8. If you plan to do more than one show, invest in a really good dolly or cart. Trust me, this will be the BEST money you ever spent. But only if you do a number of these shows. (I learned this tip the hard way after several dealers told me and I didn't listen at first)

#9. This may seem obvious, but make sure everything has a price tag somewhere (on the front, back, or a price list you keep behind the booth) so you can leave the booth and not worry about a book getting sold for too little... :)

That's probably enough tips for now. Hope these help! I'm setting up at a Los Angeles show (the Shrine) in a couple of weeks so this is on my mind too. Good luck, I hope you sell, sell, sell! :)

Joel

Thanks Joel, that was alot of great info. I will have an overstreet and plenty of $1 and $5s. Its going to be a small show, but I figure best to get my feet wet.

Joel what do you use to display your comics? PVC?

I am looking forward to seeing you there Daniel! I am just hoping the weather holds out for us.

My small contribution: bring your sense of humor, as you will get some interesting characters. My common challenges: lowballers, people who want to use your books and space as a library, people who carry a stack of books, lay it on your table, and try to make off with a few of your books.

Sucks? Honestly, I think you will have a blast. Plus you will actually have full pockets at end of show, your cost up front cant be beat, lol!

By the way, I wish there was a standard rack that I could just order from hotflips or someone, that was a 1 piece pop up, then take down and put in your carry bag wish no hassle. I do the Macguyver with the white wire racks, and wood legs.

Thanks Joel, that was alot of great info. I will have an overstreet and plenty of $1 and $5s. Its going to be a small show, but I figure best to get my feet wet.

Joel what do you use to display your comics? PVC?

A couple of two by fours with wood screws up and down and some plastic closet shelving from Lowes or Home Depot.....at least if you're against a wall where you can lean it.

Other suggestions above from Joel were all very good (thumbs u

If you get a hand truck or dolly to use ..make sure it's one where the wheels(tires) can be changed. Sooner or later a tire will go out and if it's one where they can't be changed ... you're screwed and will have to buy another hand truck.

I would suggest taking at least $100 and at least $50-60 of it ones and fives

Good luck with the show

Sucks? Honestly, I think you will have a blast. Plus you will actually have full pockets at end of show, your cost up front cant be beat, lol!

By the way, I wish there was a standard rack that I could just order from hotflips or someone, that was a 1 piece pop up, then take down and put in your carry bag wish no hassle. I do the Macguyver with the white wire racks, and wood legs.

The "sucks" is referring to the people trying to take off with your books. I wont be selling any hardcovers and most of my stuff more then $1 will be out of reach for attendees. I will see you there, maybe I will have the fortune to set up next to you.

FYI I am bringing some primo books for sale

Joel, another thing to remember is that the other dealers more than likely have the same raw books you do, people will go table to table to check prices. Keep in mind people look for a discount , if you want to make money dont be tied to your books , make deals and sell for less. Most books that are not keys almost always sell for less than guide. If you have alot of slabs just because GPA list it say for $70, most often it will for 10% to 25% off.

I don't use PVC, I also lament the lack of being able to purchase a well-constructed wall rack. I just put boxes and lay out books on the table (then again, I think it's been 3 years since I set up at a show, so I haven't had the need, but still) There used to be a company where you could order a metal easel/comic rack, but I have no idea if those people are still in business or where to go. I am also terrible at building things like that, so I wish you the best of luck in building it, I'm sure it will come out great.

The point about getting a dolly where you can change a tire is EXCELLENT. My brother's dolly had to be junked for that reason which sucked.

The big thing to watch out for, I think, is people accidentally (or on purpose) damaging your books while on the table or in a box. They will bend and fold without thinking, since it's not their stuff, and especially the higher value stuff, keep a watchful eye on it. Of course, thieves are another program. Consider taping down any valuable books, or if you lay them out in a stack, tape down the front book and maybe the back-most book. When you build your rack, put all your valuable books on that, and not lying on the table.

Joel

I just saw the response from jacks2start, and you are right, at a comic show, you cannot sell your stuff for the maximum amount. What I'm referring to are dealers that will come up to you before the show, ask for a "dealer" discount of 50% off your price, then scoop it up and put it on their table for your asking price. Sometimes, other dealers have found books I haven't repriced yet, that were a steal at the time, and they scooped it up first. There are some dealers where I give a nice discount to, mainly because I buy from them as well.

You are also correct that dealers will walk around the room to see what prices everyone else is charging for the same material, and if you have time, I highly suggest doing so. You don't necessarily have to be the lowest price in the room, but just keep in mind what others are charging. The fans will bring it up, so it's better if you've seen the other prices instead of relying on word of mouth.

As for charging less, I avoid fees, so I can instantly chop 9-10% off GPA prices right there if I want to. But I will make deals at the end of the day if I need or want the cash, or if someone buys multiple items, or I think a true fan is really wanting something and their budget is low. That's the beauty of this business, hooking up a diehard fan with a book that just lights up their face with joy. The key is to have whatever FUN you can have during the day, and have that smile on your face. If you sit, scowl, read the paper, etc, the customers pick up on that and avoid your table. You can sit and scowl after the show, but you will also be counting a fat stack of bills, which usually brings a smile to my face. :)

Joel

#1. When it comes to change, if you have $1 and $3 items, make sure you have lots of $1's and enough $5's. I'm not sure how crowded this show is, but more is better than less. You'll be amazed how many people will "only" have $20's they got from the ATM. (Of course, by the law of inverses, you will see MORE 20's if you don't bring enough change, and less 20's if you are well stocked in change. But that is how it works)

#2. Bring some drinks and snacks with you, in case you're stuck behind your table most of the day. When you set up, learn where the closest bathroom is. (sounds simple, but it's better to know first thing than to be looking when you're in need)

#3. Comfortable shoes. Expect to be standing and talking most of the day.

#4. I like to bring extra post-it notes, markers, and stickers to update prices on books, etc.

#5. Make sure the hottest stuff is front and center and easily visible. If I know something is red hot (geez, what is red hot nowadays? Secret Invasion variants?) I will price it a little higher than necessary (& maybe not show the price) and not make deals on it, specifically so people will stop and look at it. Once they stop, they may buy something else. This is up to you.

#6. You may want a copy of Wizard or Overstreet with you. One of the fun benefits I've had of running a table is that people may come up to you to sell you stuff, and it's helpful to have a guide so you know if it's worth trading or buying it. (Of course, what you really need is a laptop w/WiFi or Broadband Access to get GPA to get REAL prices. But that's probably a stretch.)

#7. Come as early as you can to set up. You will be amazed how the other dealers will swarm around the "new dealer" and try to pick off your best stuff to put on their tables during the day. Make a deal that benefits you and them, not just them. Having enough time to set up will give you time to walk around before the show opens, and handle any swarming dealers.

#8. If you plan to do more than one show, invest in a really good dolly or cart. Trust me, this will be the BEST money you ever spent. But only if you do a number of these shows. (I learned this tip the hard way after several dealers told me and I didn't listen at first)

#9. This may seem obvious, but make sure everything has a price tag somewhere (on the front, back, or a price list you keep behind the booth) so you can leave the booth and not worry about a book getting sold for too little... :)

That's probably enough tips for now. Hope these help! I'm setting up at a Los Angeles show (the Shrine) in a couple of weeks so this is on my mind too. Good luck, I hope you sell, sell, sell! :)

Joel

that's some really great advice there. one tihng i can add is that you should try to bring alot of tpb's/hardcovers if you have ther right ones, those seem to sell pretty good at shows nowadays.

and walkie talkies are great as well. alot of times convention centres have crappy cell phone reception, and if you and your girlfriend get seperated on a break or something, or if one of you needs a break, the walkie is a greater pager.

I wont step on Daniel's toes too much here, except to say the show was this past weekend. He was set up right next to me.

And my gig is the trades/graphic novels (+ price guides, art books etc) so I usually kill the room for anyone else trying to sell them, as I sell at 1/2 cover. I had a decent show, saturday was better than sunday by a good margin for me, but definitely was strange show.

As gcstomp (Glen) mentioned it was this past weekend.

Lets just say I learned ALOT at this show and it was bitter sweet that it was very slow.

I got there around 9 to set up (show started at 10) and had my girlfriend with me to help. I put together what I thought was a pretty good PVC display but forgot one key piece, I didnt think about putting a string infront to prevent the comics from toppling. And topple they did. about 20 CGC books came down on my HEAD, and an immediate hush came upon the room only broken by Crazy Ed yelling discount them, they are no longer 9.8s!

By some miracle only one of the twenty CGC cases were cracked ; a SS 7.0 ASM 300. Besides the purely cosmetic crack on that case all other books were fine, probably due to the fact that my head soften the blow to the floor.

Witnessing the tumble a dealer, (who coincdentally was bought out a little later in the show) was nice enough to give me some cord to use.

After that I was extreamly careful with my wall set up, I realized the PVC piping I used was very pliable (not a good thing) which due to the wieght of the CGC books and the shelving began to warp the frame. My extreamly intelligent girlfriend devised a plan to put chairs behind the rack to stabilize it, and it worked :)

I brought some really nice CGC SS books and some of my fallen son collection mostly to show off and not to sell but everything has its price :)

Sold only one CGC book; Hulk #1 Hero Intitive Variant SS 9.8 by Vines, no other big books. Sold about a short box of $1 comics and a whole bunch of carded figs ($4 or 3/$10)

Everyone was really nice, and in return my GF went out to Wendys and brought back food for some of the vendors who were by themselves.

I really enjoyed setting up next to glen, he hooked me up with Plastic Bags (which I didnt even think of bringing) and seemed to really bring in people.

Overall I didnt sell nearly as much as I was hoping for, but I was able to get my feet wet and I learned alot about how to set up.

Overall the event was very very slow, location was not really optimal, couple that with the threat of a hurricane, meant very little attendance.

You did not mention what I thought was just a freaking weird thing to have at the show. Show was in a large gym. As in the kind with basketball courts and scoreboard.

They built a full size ring in the room, and had amateur wrestling going on for hours. Costumed freaks, midgets, man vs woman, even a costumed joker wrestler who did the over the top laugh. I do 2 or 3 shows a month, and it was a first for me to share the vendor room with that kind of circus. Not anything bad, just very weird for me.

You did not mention what I thought was just a freaking weird thing to have at the show. Show was in a large gym. As in the kind with basketball courts and scoreboard.

They built a full size ring in the room, and had amateur wrestling going on for hours. Costumed freaks, midgets, man vs woman, even a costumed joker wrestler who did the over the top laugh. I do 2 or 3 shows a month, and it was a first for me to share the vendor room with that kind of circus. Not anything bad, just very weird for me.

very interesting/weird setup indeed!

and Daniel, it's definately a learning process. I've helped a various dealers setup for Toronto shows and it's always been a learning experience in both setting up the displays and trying to nail down what to bring and what's worthwhile to have at the show.

(Plastic bags! Lots of people always forget)