• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church deliveries?!?

27 posts in this topic

To my amazement I was looking at a Mile High from 7/40 and on the back cover in pencil it says:

CHURCH

C.O.D.

C.O.D. means "Cash on Delivery". Does that mean Church had is comics delivered to his house?!?

Also of note this copy is a second had copy with "6 cents" in pencil on the front cover.

Timely

If it's a second hand copy, then I think that it was the original owner who had it delivered. Otherwise, if he got all his comics delivered, why wouldn't more of his copies have it?

That makes no sense at all, why would the original purchaser have the name "Church" written on the back of his comic?!?

The COD stamp could be from the original purchaser and the "Church" word could have been written by the second-hand store, but you're right about it not making the most sense, because why would the second-hand store write "Church" there? I'm assuming the second-hand store wrote that since I can't recall hearing Edgar writing his name on his own copies.

Church went to the second-hand store and asked for specific copies he was missing...the second-hand store ordered them from another second-hand store...this second-hand store sent them to the one near Church and put the COD stamp on...and Church's store wrote his name on it when they arrived to remind themselves the books were for him. Or maybe the remote second-hand store wrote the name on there so Church's second-hand store knew who they were for. One of those scenarios sounds plausible. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess my first post was not clear, on the back cover in pencil it says, "CHURCH C.O.D."

There is no COD stamp, it is pencil lettering right below the "Church" pencilled lettering. Both were written by the same person.

Timely

I guess my first post was not clear, on the back cover in pencil it says, "CHURCH C.O.D."

There is no COD stamp, it is pencil lettering right below the "Church" pencilled lettering. Both were written by the same person.

Timely

Well is it possible Church simply left a "want list" with the store for some 2nd hand copies, and whejn they were received the store simply marked them with Church and a COD notation so anyone who happened to wait on Church when he showed up would know to charge him? It would also be interesting to see how many other "Church COD" books can be found and if the writing is the same, perhaps indicating he was a regular to this practice at a specific store. Just mind-streaming on this.

Your story sounds good at first, but the main thing you are forgetting is that the "D" in COD stands for DELIVERY.

If the book was to be kept for Church it would say "CHURCH KEEP" or "FOR CHURCH", not "CHURCH C.O.D.".

Timely

Your story sounds good at first, but the main thing you are forgetting is that the "D" in COD stands for DELIVERY.

If the book was to be kept for Church it would say "CHURCH KEEP" or "FOR CHURCH", not "CHURCH C.O.D.".

Timely

Well - YOU know it stands for Delivery and *I* know it stands for Delivery. Perhaps the wrong acronym was used? Or is it possible these books actually WERE delivered to Church's place - perhaps after a certain number were accumulated?

Timely

Well - YOU know it stands for Delivery and *I* know it stands for Delivery. Perhaps the wrong acronym was used? Or is it possible these books actually WERE delivered to Church's place - perhaps after a certain number were accumulated?

Just send any/all books in question to my P.O. box, I'll review them, and let you know what I find out....

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifinsane.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There must be thousands of people with the last name Church... though it certainly seems possible that Edgar Church was well-known to more than a couple of sources of back-issue comic books, and that they had want lists of his, and were looking to fill those holes in his collection. Hey, if your best customer said "could you keep an eye out for Detective #67?" you'd be all over it, right? I mean here's a grown man paying good $ for used *funnybooks* 60 years ago! As a thrift shop or used bookstore or whatever, he would be a customer you catered to...

Timely. I agree with you Eadgar Church never paid no more than cover price for his books. I had heard before he did buy some of his books second hand from a book store I think. But to answer your question; a good one, maybe you could contact Gary Carter. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about golden age books. Or Bob Overstreet. If you find out let us kniow.

I read that Gary Carter paid an initial $10,000 for some of the Church books. He liked them so much that he took out a $44,000 mortgage in his house (his dad pitched in a further $5,000) to get more of them. They went after the non-key issues to get as many books as possible. Quite an amazing story; I wonder if Carter still has all the books?

Chuck was selling the books in lots of $10,000 and larger, so that makes sense. I was lucky enough to purchase many Mile Highs off Gary Carter in the 90's. I bought many of the last Superhero MH's he owned. Unless he held a few MH's back, he is out of them. But considering the Adventure #79, More Fun #56, Detective #120 and scores of other DC classics came out from of his collecton, I think the best books he owned went bye bye a long time ago.

Timely

Wow...

Carter must have some very interesting anecdotes from the sale. Incredible

how they just put thousands of raw books into boxes with no boards or bags

whatsoever. The article I read mentioned how one of the boxes supposedly

opened during the flight so a NM Adventure Comic in the mid-90s was sticking

out when the box came down the conveyor belt.