• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church deliveries?!?

27 posts in this topic

There's a long article about it in "Comics Between the Panels" - the best

book about comics collecting I've ever read(!). The Carter article is just a

part of a much longer section about the Church collection.

"Comics Between the Panels" - the best book about comics collecting I've ever read(!)

I concur. Steve Duin & Mike Richardson (Dark Horse) probably spent over 10 years doing the interviews & research for that lovely hardcover book. Covers almost every comic topic u could imagine: GGA, Cherokee Bookshop, Mile High, Reed Crandall, Lou Fine, Matt Baker, EC's with color pics. angel.gif

Somehow I doubt Church ever paid more than cover price for any of his books. It seems unlikely that they would be on the "hunt" to make 10 cents.

Timely

Timely, I wasn't suggesting that Church was paying a 'premium' for the books...only that, if he left a 'want list' with a few second-hand stores or whatever, they might be very happy to set such books aside, with some notation (C.O.D.) to indicate to other store employees that Church hadn't yet paid for the books...?

Timely, I wasn't suggesting that Church was paying a 'premium' for the books...only that, if he left a 'want list' with a few second-hand stores or whatever, they might be very happy to set such books aside, with some notation (C.O.D.) to indicate to other store employees that Church hadn't yet paid for the books...?

I emailed Chuck a whole bunch of overly obsessive questions about the Church find after he concluded his "Tales From the Database" epic. One of them dealt with whether Edgar had a list of the books he owned or needed. Chuck indicated that he never found such a thing in any of the reams of detritus he removed from Church's office.

In fact, when I brought up possible motives for Edgar amassing such a tremendous collection, Chuck responded with the following:

He wanted samples of all kinds of comics art in case he ever wanted to become a comics artist. Thus, he had his newsstand set aside for him one copy of every book printed. I believe the excellent breadth of the collection reflects the competence of his newsstand, rather than his personal attention to what he had (emphasis mine).

As always, YMMV. confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

I still contend that this could have been a notation from a thrift store of some kind, where Church regularly sought to fill holes in various title runs. He may have left a want list with the store, and when copies of those issues were brought to the store, they were set aside for Church. If Church was willing to pay any premium on such back issues (i.e., 8 cents for a used comic instead of 5 cents), many stores would likely have been happy to help find and hold specific comics for him.