• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A long winded appeal, thoughts and suggestions needed !!!

81 posts in this topic

I just realized all this is probably a side affect from you quitting smoking,you did quit didn't you?

:wishluck:

(there I derailed the thread, its all downhill now (: )

Kenny: I have definitely broken the habit but I won't say that if me and Timmay are sitting around the pig roast in a couple of weeks and he lights up, I won't bum one from him. Basically I have quit "Kenny style" :)

Jim

(thumbs u

Well then Timmay better stock up next time we invade Chicago!

btw, any GA Peds float your boat or has that ship sailed with the WM quest?

Keep what you've acquired, and add more... No need to sell this to pay for that, if you still have income.

That's your only win-win that I see...

That's a great plan...if your name is Bill Gates. lol

Or if you're collecting at a level you can afford and aren't always striving for things that are out of reach.

I know a number of collectors who only add to their collections.

If you have what's needed to get them (selling your SA books), then they're not out of reach at all...you just need to decide which you'd rather have - the books sitting in your boxes, or something different. Most collectors I know do sell and/or trade books all the time, nothing wrong with that! (thumbs u

Kenny: I have definitely broken the habit but I won't say that if me and Timmay are sitting around the pig roast in a couple of weeks and he lights up, I won't bum one from him. Basically I have quit "Kenny style" :)

Jim

(thumbs u

Kenny: Oh for sure GA peds are definitely at the top of my radar screen. My involvement on the book definitely has reaffirmed my love for such things. I do have a soft spot for Ohios, as that has been my favourite chapter so far that I've written. It seems with Timelys, due to the fact that the Church's are locked away

there isn't a clear cut pedigree of choice. From what I've seen Larsons, Penns and San Frans vary in grade pretty widely from issue to issue with no clear cut #1 across the board. I'd love to handle a raw San Francisco in the near future. I won't focus on any one pedigree this time around...that's for sure :insane:

Jim

Keep what you've acquired, and add more... No need to sell this to pay for that, if you still have income.

Or if you're collecting at a level you can afford and aren't always striving for things that are out of reach.

If you have what's needed to get them (selling your SA books), then they're not out of reach at all...you just need to decide which you'd rather have - the books sitting in your boxes, or something different. Most collectors I know do sell and/or trade books all the time, nothing wrong with that! (thumbs u

No, but there's a difference between selling books that you no longer have an interest in to raise cash, and selling books that are painful for you to part with because of collecting ADD. The latter isn't healthy and it will eventually case a total burnout. That's what happened to me.

Jim

(thumbs u

Kenny: Oh for sure GA peds are definitely at the top of my radar screen. My involvement on the book definitely has reaffirmed my love for such things. I do have a soft spot for Ohios, as that has been my favourite chapter so far that I've written. It seems with Timelys, due to the fact that the Church's are locked away

there isn't a clear cut pedigree of choice. From what I've seen Larsons, Penns and San Frans vary in grade pretty widely from issue to issue with no clear cut #1 across the board. I'd love to handle a raw San Francisco in the near future. I won't focus on any one pedigree this time around...that's for sure :insane:

Jim

hm A Pedigree Platter of some sort.

Hey Jim,

I have four primary hobbies

1. Collecting Batman which I finished in 2002 and began in 1972. Never even considered selling them off, now I just do some selective upgrading.

2. Original Art, started in 1980s picking up a few pages here and there but now my main focus.

3. Collecting the 1940s Saafield Superman Puzzles

and my 4th hobby, watching people crash and burn in their collecting. I admit, it is a sick hobby, but one that always amazes me. These boards help me with this hobby quite a bit.

I would say what ever is prompting you to re-think your WM collection will hit you with GA as well. If it is driven by not being able to acquire new WM books, you have to focus on finding new ways to acquire them. For me, if I am lucky I buy one Superman puzzle a year. When I first started, I found 3 to 5 a year but that quickly dropped down to maybe one a year. For the OA, this year has been amazing, so far I have bought four pages! It is not about the quantity, but the quality in my case.

Good luck on the decision but I think you would be well served to take some time to think long and hard before doing it.

I'd love to handle a raw San Francisco in the near future. I won't focus on any one pedigree this time around...that's for sure :insane:

Jim

let me tell ya, holding a raw GA Mainline title from DC, Timely, Fawcett, etc. from either the Mile High, San Fran (Tom Reilly), or Larson collection is to me, what collecting is all about, it's what makes our hobby great, I've held all 3 , never held a raw Allentown, but I'm sure that would be heaven as well. :cloud9:

Jim

(thumbs u

Jim

hm A Pedigree Platter of some sort.

We Scandinavians prefer the term Pedigree Smörgåsbord. :cool:

No, but there's a difference between selling books that you no longer have an interest in to raise cash, and selling books that are painful for you to part with because of collecting ADD. The latter isn't healthy and it will eventually case a total burnout. That's what happened to me.

:(

Hey Jim just curious why you haven't chased a few big WM's like the FF#12 on Pedigree? I'm guessing the asking price is astronomical but have you inquired (I'm curious what the asking price would be :popcorn: ) I know you have considered the Hulk #1 before why not one of these gems? Maybe trade in a handful of your non-favorite WM's for a gem like the FF#12 or scoop a few GA books you have on your list. hm

Peter: I have talked to Doug about those and honestly I don't really think they are for sale. I've asked him to tell me the price, but never received a direct answer and not pursued it any further.

Jim

That is a great way to do business. Do not under any circumstances answer questions.

Peter: I have talked to Doug about those and honestly I don't really think they are for sale. I've asked him to tell me the price, but never received a direct answer and not pursued it any further.

Jim

In Doug's defense he is an FF guy so parting with one of those would be tough, I can see where he is coming from unless there was book(s) he need to swap with you (his TTA run for J.I.M.'s for example). However, he did sell the #55 9.9, thought he also sold/traded the FF#1 as well?

Hey Jim,

I have four primary hobbies

1. Collecting Batman which I finished in 2002 and began in 1972. Never even considered selling them off, now I just do some selective upgrading.

2. Original Art, started in 1980s picking up a few pages here and there but now my main focus.

3. Collecting the 1940s Saafield Superman Puzzles

and my 4th hobby, watching people crash and burn in their collecting. I admit, it is a sick hobby, but one that always amazes me. These boards help me with this hobby quite a bit.

I would say what ever is prompting you to re-think your WM collection will hit you with GA as well. If it is driven by not being able to acquire new WM books, you have to focus on finding new ways to acquire them. For me, if I am lucky I buy one Superman puzzle a year. When I first started, I found 3 to 5 a year but that quickly dropped down to maybe one a year. For the OA, this year has been amazing, so far I have bought four pages! It is not about the quantity, but the quality in my case.

Good luck on the decision but I think you would be well served to take some time to think long and hard before doing it.

Can you post one of the puzzles for us?