• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS or not?

51 posts in this topic

IMO, a high grade book should only be SS if it is something that is easily obtained, or the sig is near impossible to get (Frazetta).

I wouldn't risk getting any copy of AF15 signed by Stan. #1, the man has signed more books than anyone in the history of time, and #2, he might sketch a big assed cockroach on it.

:sumo:

hm

No roach here...

AmazingFantasy_015.jpg

Nice book!

However, after seeing what Stan did to that copy of Amazing Spider-Roach #129, I wouldn't let him around any of my books with a sharpie.

I choose SS over Universal in all 3 cases.

CGC is cool for the grade, but the authenticated signature thing is a true tangible non-subjective service they provide.

Plus I think it's sweet to reunite a creator with their creation.

My first and only CGC submission as that Feldstein ShockSuspense SS; I definitely wouldn't have ever submitted if it weren't for the sig, but I definitely still would have gotten the sig either way...

:hi: Hiyo!

hm ... I like the whole ideal of a Signature Series. I love having some of my comics books to be CGC Signature Series by the team (Besides just the writer or artist) of my favorite comic book series, because that truly brings something special to your collection. Even though, yes! When it comes down to handling your book(s) and going to a convention, to then give your book over to a writer(s)/artist(s) of your book to then be handled and then signed... to then handle your book all the way to the CGC booth to be handle by them and then graded... can possible lower the condition of your book when graded during transportation, but dont you want the magic feeling you get from a signed book in display in your comic room?

Though I do have some rules when it comes to book(s)/series I like to get CGC Signature Series...

(tsk) ... One: CGC Signature Series for only mini-series (Usually 3-6 issue series) books and never for any maxi-series (Usually 10+ issue series) books.

The exceptions though for maxi-series books would be... choosing either first 3 books and last 3 of the series to be CGC Signature Series or first 5 books of the series.

(tsk) ... Two: No entire run of CGC Signature Series of a long-going series of any title, no-matter how good the series run was.

The exceptions though for the long-going series would depend on the length of the series and therefore... the first three books, middle three books, and the last three books of the series or five of the first and last books of the series.

For series that had a huge long run (Examples like Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, and etc.) that even ran through multiple comic ages... the first three (or five), middle three (or five), and last three (or five) books of the series during each comic age it spans through, but also depending on the amount of books during each age also.

:sumo: ... I suppose I set-up these rules to not be too overbearing/bothersome to the signaturers, but also keep the magic feeling you get of having signed books of your favorite comic book series. To me, having (Just an example!) All-New Atom (DC, 2008) #1-25 all CGC Signature Series is just too much and seems... monotous! Even having CGC Signature Series #1-100 (or 200) of X-Men books seem too much and defaces the reasons for even collecting and reading comic books. Plus, buying an extra reading copying for all the CGC Signature Series books can get little too expensive/hard to find.

I like SS for moderns and have a very nice run of New Avengers that I really like.

Don't like it for older books, though. I cringe at some of the HG books that have been signed recently.

If you like signatures then work to acquire them. If you don't like then don't collect them. Live and let live. There is no right and wrong here.
If anybody writes their name on my book they better be ready to box :sumo:lol:baiting:

I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine over my Invincible #1 recently....

I dig SS books....take Invincible #1 for instance...I've had more than a couple SSd, and have bought and sold quite a few of them...There is a BIG difference to me when I get an SS book back in the mail vs a normal submission..

the fact that Kirkman held and signed my book is really cool to me...

not to mention that some books just look better with yellow labels than others (in my opinion, all books do..but that's besides the point)...Invincible #1 looks WAYYYY better with the SS label

As far as re-sale value goes...I just don't understand how in 20 years someone might NOT buy my SS copy just because it has an authentic sig on the cover??? anyone buying HG CGC books certainly isn't afraid of a yellow label, are they?

IMO, a high grade book should only be SS if it is something that is easily obtained, or the sig is near impossible to get (Frazetta).

I wouldn't risk getting any copy of AF15 signed by Stan. #1, the man has signed more books than anyone in the history of time, and #2, he might sketch a big assed cockroach on it.

:sumo:

hm

No roach here...

AmazingFantasy_015.jpg

Nice book!

However, after seeing what Stan did to that copy of Amazing Spider-Roach #129, I wouldn't let him around any of my books with a sharpie.

Stan's placement on many books has been pretty crappy. Signing black on black and over word balloons when there is plenty of free space that won't even cover significant artwork. :frustrated:

I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine over my Invincible #1 recently....

I dig SS books....take Invincible #1 for instance...I've had more than a couple SSd, and have bought and sold quite a few of them...There is a BIG difference to me when I get an SS book back in the mail vs a normal submission..

the fact that Kirkman held and signed my book is really cool to me...

not to mention that some books just look better with yellow labels than others (in my opinion, all books do..but that's besides the point)...Invincible #1 looks WAYYYY better with the SS label

As far as re-sale value goes...I just don't understand how in 20 years someone might NOT buy my SS copy just because it has an authentic sig on the cover??? anyone buying HG CGC books certainly isn't afraid of a yellow label, are they?

The one thing I would worry about with the Sig Series books in 20 years is how well the writing instruments used hold up over that time. Also if I was buying high grade books such as a Silver and Bronze DD run I didn't want any SS books because I don't like date stamps or written dates. Once a book gets written on it's no longer high grade to me. This is part of the reason I never sought to have really high grade copies of books signed when I was collecting signature series.

I like Signature Series books and I have about a dozen of them... but something DOES get lost in the equation.

Specifically, I'm talking about when you are NOT THERE personally to get the signature. That signed comic then loses something intangible. You didn't get the signature. You didn't get to meet the creator as he signed your comic. Your witness did. It may not even be your comic. (I've bought sig series where I had nothing to do with the signature process.)

It's still cool, but I'd prefer a comic that I had personally signed for me even if it wasn't a Sig Series.

I like Signature Series books and I have about a dozen of them... but something DOES get lost in the equation.

Specifically, I'm talking about when you are NOT THERE personally to get the signature. That signed comic then loses something intangible. You didn't get the signature. You didn't get to meet the creator as he signed your comic. Your witness did. It may not even be your comic. (I've bought sig series where I had nothing to do with the signature process.)

It's still cool, but I'd prefer a comic that I had personally signed for me even if it wasn't a Sig Series.

Me too. My favorite memories are Roy Thomas, Mike Ploog, Al Feldstein, Di ck Ayers, Stan Lee and others who I got to meet and chat with.