• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9/11

47 posts in this topic

A military can not function or exist when each member makes up their own mind about. Like it or not, that is fact. That is why the contract and oath they sign and take upon enlistment, states something to the effect "I will defend my country, right or wrong" blah, blah.

This is such an interesting concept... the swearing of loyalty or whatever...

A very ancient idea.

And definitely one that puts service-people in very sticky situations sometimes.

Especially when, after the fact, they can be charged with crimes for following orders. (a la Guantanamo) At what point should one's humanity overtake one's loyalty to another? (the easy extreme example being, of course, Nazi Germany...)

No matter how much I disagree with our involvement in Iraq and/or our stated or real reasons for being there, I'm very torn about where a serviceperson's responsibilities should have put them on the side of follow orders vs. disobey orders. Thus far, I've always decided that the "right" thing for a soldier to do in this case is to follow orders, and I believe that every soldier over there deserves our utmost respect and support for doing what they are doing.

I do not know where the line lies that would cause me to change my mind were we to cross it. If anything, I think that 9/11 has made me even more likely to think that a soldier should challange the orders of his/her commander if those orders seemed immoral.

All of that said... had I been enlisted and told to go to Iraq... I dunno... there's a big part of me that thinks I would have taken the consequences of disobeying orders and not going. But how could I possibly say?

I can't even think about this stuff very well hypothetically! I don't know how real soldiers do it... What a crappy situation. :-/

I worked at 7 World Trade Center at the time. When the first plane hit, my office was sipping coffee looking out the window and wondering how they would ever fix that gaping hole. After the second plane hit, they evacuated our building and my boss and I watched the towers burn from a plaza on West Street.

Glad you got away ok.

I worked in the south tower, 49th floor. Marsh & McLennan.

I used to work on the 51st floor, WT2, had been up closer to my home for a few years, but at the time our offices had just moved to a building on Hudson st, across from the Immigration building and near the fire station where all those brave guys who died were from, and I had been working there, for about a week.

One of my co-workers ran in and said a plane had just hit the Trade Center, he was downstairs in the st when it hit and saw it. We all ran to the picture window and watched the next one in shock.

We were evacuated, but I had staff with children/family at the site... I've typed out the story of going back many times, just can't today, but none of us there, will ever forget.

I worked at 7 World Trade Center at the time. When the first plane hit, my office was sipping coffee looking out the window and wondering how they would ever fix that gaping hole. After the second plane hit, they evacuated our building and my boss and I watched the towers burn from a plaza on West Street.

Glad you got away ok.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your experience that day? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

Glad you got away ok.

I'm glad you both are safe today, and everyone who survived that day too.

Glad you got away ok.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your experience that day? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

I'd rather not recount it in detail in a public forum. Suffice it to say, I saw and experienced things people shouldn't have to. It leaves a mark.

But, I got out, and so many of my colleagues and thousands of fellow New Yorkers did not. I think of them and their families who will spend the rest of their days with gaping holes in their hearts.