• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9/11

47 posts in this topic

I was at my local garage to pick up my car that was being serviced, and I went up to the chief mechanic, who was looking more than a little depressed and shocked. I asked him why and he explained. I didn't believe him at first, even though it all sounded plausible enough. I got back home and the news was on every channel.

The day was just a blur after that. Horrendous.

When I first saw it...Putting on my coat, on my way out the door watching news with a live image of the burning first tower....wondering what I was looking at, and listening Bryant Gumbel was berating a reporter for saying it was a plane or a bomb, and at that exact moment the 2nd plane hit.

The channel I was watching had a camera crew on the opposite side of where the plane hit, so I did not see the plane hit until later on. All I saw was an explosion. Even then it did not sink in until I got downtown to work and within the hour the downtown Chicago area was being evacuated.

The sites, sounds, and feelings of that day are burned into my brain permanently.

C

I was walking from my truck in the parking lot to my cube in the office. By the time I heard about it, there was so much talk it was everything from a 747 to a balsa wood plane crashing into the towers. The rest of the day though, I didn't get much done.

One thing that will never go away is the sound effect that AM750 (local news radio station) used as "bumper music" to lead into and out of commercials that day. It was an alarm sounding, metallic grating noise that sticks with me to this day. Funny how your mind links things together.

Thanks to those on this board that fight for this country every day or have fought for this country in the past. /salute

And really, it's a shame we can't go back to the unity that we felt as a country seven years ago. It's pretty much back to business as usual now.

-Barry

I remember the day JFK was killed. It was the same feeling but slightly worse on Sept. 11th, 2001. Although one of my heroes was Martin Luther King Jr., it did not affect me the way the JFK and 9/11 trajedies did. Maybe because I kind of expected someone to take a "shot" at assasinating MLK Jr., but did not expect the other two. I dunno.

I only know that when 9/11 happened, I remember wishing that I was a lot younger and able to re-enlist back into the Marine Corps. Alas I was not. But my oldest son was and he did.

Without getting all political, I think that it is important to remember that our current government has kept any similar incidents from occuring on our land, even though there are thousands and maybe millions of peoples who would gladly give up there lives to harm us. To be able to keep us from further harm under those circumstances and yet retain our freedoms as we do. It is almost a miracle.

Not pushing an agenda here really. But just want to give props where they are due. Our current government for sure has made it's share of mistakes. But don't they all. Just like us participating in the currently running thread about stupid speculation buys during the 90's. We ALL make judgements in error. Okay, maybe not J.C. But the rest of us have and still do.

I was a senior in college training my underclassmen Army ROTC cadets that morning when they broke the news, and cancelled classes. I knew then I would be going to war after graduation and my commissioning. Like many, my life changed from those events... our parents remember where they were when JFK was assassinated, and now we know where we were that day.

Thoughts and prayers to those lost loved ones, and many thanks to those who continue to "stand ready to do violence on [our] behalf."

I was in a conference room in Alexandria, Virginia, looking down the river. We were watching the CNN feed from New York when we saw the Pentagon explode. It took about six hours to get from Alexandria to Reston (a trip that usually takes 30 minutes). Several people in my office were in the Capitol building that morning for a meeting - which was the target of United 93.

A very nice man that I worked for was killed in the Pentagon - Geep Fisher - and my wife's cousin's husband was on United 93. Jeremy was one of the people who started the uprising on the plane, from all accounts.

The next morning in DC was very scary. There were regular Army guys on all the street corners with cocked and loaded M-16s. Everybody was jumpy and there was a palpable sense of fear in the air. We drove in and could still see the smoke from the Pentagon and the fires. Not much happened here that week.

I had just gotten back from a run and the phone was ringing when I came in the apartment. My girlfriend was calling from her office and shouted that I had to turn on the TV. When I saw what was being broadcast, I stepped out on my terrace with a pair of binoculars to see what was happening.

I live in Fort Lee, NJ - just over the river from NYC. Even from a dozen miles away, it was horrific - and later that morning, watching one of the towers fall was the most horrifying few seconds of my life.

By that afternoon, with the Port Authority headquarters just two blocks away, a pall hung over the entire town. By evening, the local police had almost locked down the place. Living a few blocks away from the George Washington Bridge was not necessarily safe.

That evening, I recall there were two intensely different scenes. The first was watching the smoke drift out to Brooklyn and beyond. The second was the sky - completely empty of planes (nothing from Newark, LaGuardia, or even the local Teterboro) except the occassional fighter jet or chopper.

To this day, I see the "hole in the skyline" where the buildings used to be. The fact that construction has begun hasn't diminished the loss - I cry every year when the names are read.

My thoughts go out to all of those who were directly and indirectly affected. My prayers go out to those who serve to protect and to defend us from present and future horrors.

Larry

I was still in college on that day. I went to Saint Peter's College in Jersey City, NJ. The college sits on a hill right on the Hudson river, and you can look right down Montgomery Avenue, the street the school sits on, and see the World Trade Center Buildings clearly across the river. I was in a law research class at the time, and left to find my girlfriend once we heard what had happened. Her father worked at the federal court building a few blocks from the WTC and we spent most of the day trying to get him on his cell phone. He ran across the Brooklyn Bridge and walked back to Queens, which took him 6 hours.

The following day, all the businesses in the area had been gathering and donating food, ice, and supplies for the volunteers at ground zero. The cafeteria, on campus, was donating food and bags of ice and I, along with a few friends, volunteered to help load the ice onto boats down at the docks on the NJ side of the Hudson. I thought we were done after we loaded the ice onto the boats, but we were asked to jump onto the boats and help load stuff onto the docks at the WTC. I spent 10 hours at ground zero that day, and 10 hours a day for the next three weeks helping in the search and cleanup.

I remember seeing firemen, covered in ash, dirt, and debris, laying on the ground, staring off into space, sobbing over the loss of their friends and the confusion that surrounded them. I remember seeing crushed police cars and fire trucks, twisted steel, and bodies of the victims. I did my best to ignore what I saw and act as strong as the brave men and women around me doing their best to save lives. As I sit here now I sometimes wish I could get some of those images out of my head. It bothered me alot to see police and firemen, whom I've always thought of as the strength of my community, devistated and destrought over what had happened. As horrible and sad as that day was, it has built a resolve in me to never forget that there are bad people in this world, bad people who will do anything to take away what the great country provides, freedom to live, freedom to choose, and freedom to be anyone we want to be.

Sorry for the long post, but the thread got me thinking as I do each and every time this day comes around. May we never forget, and continue to heal.