• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photos of Framed Superman Puzzles from 1940

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Quite a while back I posted a summary of all the Superman Puzzles I had but I only posted scans on the boxes which just don't do the puzzles justices. Here are three photos of some of them assembled and framed.

[ 106s.jpg

Do you have this one for sale?

bb

Really cool puzzles, bet they look even better in person.

The lighthouse one is odd though, not exactly the most dynamic shot of Supes to use for a puzzle. Is that taken from the panel before he jumps down on the boat? :D

Thanks for posting them.

I have no idea where greg got his, but I see them pop up on ebay from time to time...I tried to win a couple, but got out bid...

The puzzles are from the 1940s. The one of Superman by the lighthouse is the only non-cover one I am aware for these sizes of puzzle. They come in 300 and 500 piece versions as well as the small ones (less than 100?, most are non-cover). All but two of mine came off Ebay. Sort of fun beating out some Superman Puzzle Newbe at the last few seconds :devil::baiting::jokealert:

None of mine are for sell. Some I have paid as little as $19 for and some as much as $600. I first saw them at a toy show in the mid 90s while I was finishing my PhD and I couldn't afford them so once I graduated, I started buying them. I had an ad in the CBG for a while and actually bought one puzzle that way. I bought one through an auction in toyshop magazine. I still but them today off Ebay where they show up every month or so. At some point I will re-post a summary of all of them. As puzzles, no one really care. The boxes are not very colorful so not that great for display. What I decided to do was to frame them so you can see how nice the puzzle really is. I put them together upside down and then have the mat cut out to fit exactly around the puzzle and them use the mat, glass, and backing board to hold the puzzle together so no glue. Glad everyone likes them.

Agreed, very cool! I love the Superman merchandise that was pumped out in 1940. The puzzles look just great, and amazing that all the ones shown here seem to be complete. (I like the chunky, amateurish cut of the pieces too...looks like some factory ground them out in a hurry in the middle of the night.) Great stuff! (thumbs u

I have no idea where greg got his, but I see them pop up on ebay from time to time...I tried to win a couple, but got out bid...

The puzzles are from the 1940s. The one of Superman by the lighthouse is the only non-cover one I am aware for these sizes of puzzle. They come in 300 and 500 piece versions as well as the small ones (less than 100?, most are non-cover). All but two of mine came off Ebay. Sort of fun beating out some Superman Puzzle Newbe at the last few seconds :devil::baiting::jokealert:

None of mine are for sell. Some I have paid as little as $19 for and some as much as $600. I first saw them at a toy show in the mid 90s while I was finishing my PhD and I couldn't afford them so once I graduated, I started buying them. I had an ad in the CBG for a while and actually bought one puzzle that way. I bought one through an auction in toyshop magazine. I still but them today off Ebay where they show up every month or so. At some point I will re-post a summary of all of them. As puzzles, no one really care. The boxes are not very colorful so not that great for display. What I decided to do was to frame them so you can see how nice the puzzle really is. I put them together upside down and then have the mat cut out to fit exactly around the puzzle and them use the mat, glass, and backing board to hold the puzzle together so no glue. Glad everyone likes them.

I used to have three sets of puzzles by Alex and August Schomburg. They disappeared during my last move. I still have the magazines that printed the original painting but no puzzles.

bb

2373724315_3dc73a512c_b.jpg

captain marvel puzzles are not as nice.

2318574207_051264f7f2_o.jpg