• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do all comic guys look like Brad Pitt or Arnold?

86 posts in this topic

I was going to address this issue but never got around to it. Unfortunately similar to the predicament MLB has found itself in, many superheroes and villains have turned to steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. This has gone on dating back to the 1970's and exploded in the very early 90's. Although there were rare exception predating that including the first known user, Captain America. His super serum is nothing more than an extremely powerful anabolic steroid. As the Silver Age dawned others experimented lightly with performance enhancing drugs. One such person was none other than Kraven the Hunter. Aside from rare jungle plants, Kraven's potions included anabolic steroids developed in his home country of Russia. At this point Russian Olympic athletes had been using this stuff for years. As the drugs became better the muscles became larger. There are a few natural freaks out there such as Wolverine, whose mutant healing factor allows him to work out more often and his muscles heal at an accelerated rate. However, one of the worst abuser's is Cyclops. What does the power of optic blasts have to due with achieving 24 inch arms? Many in the "font office" so to speak, not only turned their heads to the abuse of performance enhancing drugs, but even encouraged. Professor X wink, wink. Perhaps the people most guilty are the dealers of performance enhancing drugs. Rob Liefeld is simply known as the Victor Conte of the superhero universe.

I would think that superheroes that fight super villains would try to be in the best shape they could possibly be in. I'm in the Army and I try to keep myself in good shape because i'll might be in a situation when I might need it. I don't want to be a burden on other soldiers because I can't keep up in combat??? I would think super heroes are in the same boat just in make believe.

I don't want to be a burden on other soldiers because I can't keep up in combat??? I would think super heroes are in the same boat just in make believe.

That's why I figured the X-Men are in that kind of shape. Cyclops doesn't need his build to shoot his optic blasts, but he does need it for defensive purposes, to not get hit by other supervillains' abilities. You'd think at least some of them would let themselves go though. I particularly never bought Magneto being so buff...almost nobody can touch the guy, and he answers to nobody, it's much more believable that he's the size of an Ian McKellan.

I don't want to be a burden on other soldiers because I can't keep up in combat??? I would think super heroes are in the same boat just in make believe.

That's why I figured the X-Men are in that kind of shape. Cyclops doesn't need his build to shoot his optic blasts, but he does need it for defensive purposes, to not get hit by other supervillains' abilities. You'd think at least some of them would let themselves go though. I particularly never bought Magneto being so buff...almost nobody can touch the guy, and he answers to nobody, it's much more believable that he's the size of an Ian McKellan.

Yes but there was a time when for some reason or another Magneto became one of those characters that for some reason or another was naked a lot. I blame this on another one of the performance enhancing durg pushers, Jim Lee. Mags needs to look good if he's going to be naked frequently.

Face it. Mostly young boys were the buyers of comic books "back in the days of comic book glory". Not so much now though. Now it is adult men who were those young boys back then.

Young boys bought the comics for three reasons. None of which were for homosexual tendencies. This homosexual comic book culture stuff is hogwash.

1) The sexy women on the covers

2) Cool looking, powerful guys with fantastic powers and bravery to spare, saving the world from bad guys. All of us boys liked pretending and hoping that a radioactive spider would bite us, or a genie from a bottle, would give us those fantastic powers and we would actually become one of those "savers of the world".

3) Pretending and planning to one day "start a training program" whereupon we could actually become a self made superhero like Batman or Captain America. Building our muscles, speed, fighting ability and bravery, like they had.

I guess next you will tell me that women who collect Wonder Woman, Cat Woman or Blonde Phantom comic books are lesbians?

I have heard estimates that one out of every three people on the earth are homosexual. I do not believe it. I believe it is propaganda put out by those who lean that way or are politically correct, to take away the stigma of those that are gay or lesbian. I know that when I was growing up, the only known gay man in our neighborhood in Cincinnati was Vine Street Betty. He was as rough as they come in a fight. He walked around the streets "swaggering and shaking his arse exageratedly" and proud of it. But you didn't say anthing bad to him because, like I said, he was tough as nails in a fight. When I was about ten or so, I saw "Betty" beat the spoon out of 6 young men, who were the older rough guys from our neighborhood. I had no animosity towards "Betty". I just thought of him as an oddity of nature.

But that was only one person. I never heard of another gay person until I was in my twenties. Even then they were few and far between. I know that obviously there were many in the "closet". But 1 out of every 3? No way Jose.

Except for Lakewood Ohio, or San Francisco California. Pure propaganda. At best (worst), it might be 1 out of every 30 or so.

No, you are wrong. Comic books are not geared towards homosexuals. More so recently but still not much so. The hero is always saving a damsel in distress, and it could be assumed that later, after the comic story was over, the damsel would be "very grateful" to the hero who just took on a monster or falling airplane, and saved her.

How could she not offer herself after that? Does anyone think that Cap or Batman did without? Please don't say Robin or Bucky. I remember both of them going ga ga over many a gal. Of course it is all just make believe land, these funny books. But I for one, refuse to believe that Batman was or is gay. Neither is Superman or Captain America. Maybe the Rawhide Kid or even Wonder Woman, but not the main superheroes. Not in my fantasy world of then or now. If any comic hero of my child hood comes out of the closet. I am done with him. I never had any female heroes, so the lesbian thing doesn't mean anything to me. Except it does send a slight "tingle" up my leg. Oh no. My mistake. That was Obama speaking :)

(just kidding about Obama) (I was making fun of some media personalities like Chris Mathews).

Magneto is huge although.. he is the nemesis of the X-men and he does have pretty x-treme ideals about Mutants taking over the world. I would think he needs to get his swoll on especially since he has so many enemies. I think that some heroes and villains could gain a couple of pounds just to break the mold but when your fighting these kind of people I wouldn't be taking my Physical Fitness too lightly...... Tip top performance would be on the top of my mind at all times...... mess if I was a regular human with superheroes and villains around i would be getting my swoll on just for the simple fact that they exist...... I'd probably trying to buy some laser cannons from stark enterprises for home defense also........