• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do all comic guys look like Brad Pitt or Arnold?

86 posts in this topic

I don't know, TLJ is one of my fave actors, and I've heard it said that Taye Diggs worship is a dead give-away. :gossip:

Let me guess, your favorite movie is 300?

I just saw No Country For Old Men this past weekend, and he was GREAT in it. That doesn't mean I can't see he's a pock-marked old dude with bad posture and a head that's slightly big for his body. I've only ever seen Taye Diggs in a photograph or two...I pulled his name out of the air because my girlfriend's sister likes him and because when I listed Edward James Olmos, I didn't want to give off the appearance of being racist, so I came up with a non-Caucasian who's attractive.

300 was definitely my favorite movie of last year, mostly for the depiction of ultimate bravery, machismo, and great battle sequences. I enjoyed seeing the muscular warriors, but found them being THAT muscular unrealistic, yet was easily able to forgive Snyder for it. And I was relieved they chose to go with them wearing the trunks, unlike Frank Miller's depiction in the graphic novel, where most of them were trunkless. :o

Some of the posts above compel me to repeat this -- human aesthetics are not necessarily tied to sexuality. Just because I can appreciate that some guys are attractive doesn't necessarily mean I want to have sex with them.

Doc, can you take this one....

Not to mention that apparently, a good percentage of comic readers are not heterosexual (more than the average), and combined with the few women readers, you might understand the need to portray males in the same objectifying manner as females. :gossip:

I for one, find this statement from personal experience, not to be accurate. Where does this belief come from? Most of the collectors I have known are married with children. Is this from your personal circle of friends or associates? Is this something that you just have a "feel" for, because superheroes are usually well built men, therefore you acquaint them (collectors) with liking to look at well built men, ala the movie "300"?

Did you just throw this out there to "stir the pot"? Do you actually know a homosexual comic book collector, or ten?

Although I do not delve into the personal lives of fellow collectors, I have known a few over the years, and never have I met one I knew for a fact was a homosexual. Maybe it is a generational thing, but all of the ones I knew were either married with children, or single and trying their darnest to get a women. Why the heck do you think just about every cover has a beautiful looking female and why are just about all female characters falling out of thier clothes on top and bottom?

It is because comic book readers and collectors like women.

Is there such a thing as "Good boy art"? If so, anyone here collect it? I think that "we" like the look of a male superhero simply because a superhero should look awesome and manly, and that they should look like a guy who has no problem picking up women.

Does anyone collect Rawhide Kid anymore?

300 was definitely my favorite movie of last year, mostly for the depiction of ultimate bravery, machismo, and great battle sequences. I enjoyed seeing the muscular warriors, but found them being THAT muscular unrealistic, yet was easily able to forgive Snyder for it. And I was relieved they chose to go with them wearing the trunks, unlike Frank Miller's depiction in the graphic novel, where most of them were trunkless. :o

Some of the posts above compel me to repeat this -- human aesthetics are not necessarily tied to sexuality. Just because I can appreciate that some guys are attractive doesn't necessarily mean I want to have sex with them.

:whistle::whistle::juggle:

Not to mention that apparently, a good percentage of comic readers are not heterosexual (more than the average), and combined with the few women readers, you might understand the need to portray males in the same objectifying manner as females. :gossip:

I for one, find this statement from personal experience, not to be accurate. Where does this belief come from? Most of the collectors I have known are married with children. Is this from your personal circle of friends or associates? Is this something that you just have a "feel" for, because superheroes are usually well built men, therefore you acquaint them (collectors) with liking to look at well built men, ala the movie "300"?

Did you just throw this out there to "stir the pot"? Do you actually know a homosexual comic book collector, or ten?

Although I do not delve into the personal lives of fellow collectors, I have known a few over the years, and never have I met one I knew for a fact was a homosexual.

I know several 'gay' collectors here, and back home. Plus one very significant dealer in the US.

So yes, you were generalising something terribly there.

I for one, find this statement from personal experience, not to be accurate. Where does this belief come from? Most of the collectors I have known are married with children.

I assume that you are/were married too, right? Kids?

Back when I was growing up, new comics seemed to attract the alternative or alienated youth, many of which may also have alternative lifestyles. Not everyone, but in the 80's, I observed a disproportionate amount of gay comics readers compared to my experiences in the "real world".

I can also remember when Love & Rockets came out - the book was embraced by that sub-group of the comics readers, and I can remember that being a real touch-stone for the community. Maybe it was the whole Indy appeal working at that time, but it was definitely there.

Not everyone, but in the 80's, I observed a disproportionate amount of gay comics readers compared to my experiences in the "real world".

Aren't you from French Canada? I thought all French people and French Canadians were bisexual. (shrug)

I think the best Thor ever drawn was Kirby's early, lean prototype in JIM #83 onwards. He was god like. Thor does not need to be 450 lbs and 7 feet tall, does he?

R.

You know it's gone too far when the Watcher is ripped.

I can't believe I missed that one too!

(worship)

Not everyone, but in the 80's, I observed a disproportionate amount of gay comics readers compared to my experiences in the "real world".

Aren't you from French Canada? I thought all French people and French Canadians were bisexual. (shrug)

I've heard some credence to that remark, and more... what say you ??

Although I do not delve into the personal lives of fellow collectors, I have known a few over the years, and never have I met one I knew for a fact was a homosexual.

I know several 'gay' collectors here, and back home. Plus one very significant dealer in the US.

So yes, you were generalising something terribly there.

Yea, I was generalizing if you want to go there. And JC was not?

I spoke about what I have observed. Not what someone else has observed or experienced.

I for one, find this statement from personal experience, not to be accurate. Where does this belief come from? Most of the collectors I have known are married with children.

I assume that you are/were married too, right? Kids?

Back when I was growing up, new comics seemed to attract the alternative or alienated youth, many of which may also have alternative lifestyles. Not everyone, but in the 80's, I observed a disproportionate amount of gay comics readers compared to my experiences in the "real world".

I can also remember when Love & Rockets came out - the book was embraced by that sub-group of the comics readers, and I can remember that being a real touch-stone for the community. Maybe it was the whole Indy appeal working at that time, but it was definitely there.

Don't know when and where you grew up, but where and when I grew up, being gay got you beat up. Right or wrong, it did.

I have three sons, 30, 28 and 26. All "with women" and one with children.

I do admit to being a lesbian trapped in a mans body though (just to lighten things up a bit before the name calling starts).

I happen to know that many women there are...

:whistle:

I say it's fine...but please take your hand off my arse. meh

I think this whole thing goes way beyond comics. Pick up an early luke skywalker action figure and hes a normal dude. Pick up a recent one and hes a in roid monkey. Same goes for all sorts of stuff.... pick up anything where a male body is drawn/sculpted these days and its much the same story

So having huge muscles makes you extraordinary. Being able to fly or melt steel with your eyes isn't enough. If I had super-powers, the last thing I would be doing is eating right and lifting all the time. I can blow up stuff with my mind - heck with lifting weights!

hm

65641.jpg.f60d4419a490fc5055c781ff62827afc.jpg

I happen to know that many women there are...

:whistle:

:cloud9:

Johnny Depp lives in France ...

oh wait I'm off topic.

Bisexual French Canadian Women ... in my experience French Canadian women are more relaxed when it comes to their sexuality. It's a nice thing.

:luhv: