• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM purchase from Metro.....

383 posts in this topic

C'mon Steve. I'll be the first to admit that CGC has been tighter lately but there is no way a crescent crease that size that breaks color would ever grade out at a 9.0 let alone a 9.2.

I've seen overhang creases no different than this on 9.0s (usually they are on the top.) (I also sense the size of the scan makes it look worse than it actually is in-hand.)

(shrug)

And if you look at your garden variety 8.0 with multiple spine stresses, small corner creases, etc... there is no comparison to this book.

(shrug) (shrug)

Hey Steve, I think in most cases a top edge crescent crease is not downgraded for as harshly because of typical overhang. If a bottom edge has one it is usually pretty severe.

GPA ASM #9

12 month average 9.2 $2,700.00

12 month average 8.0 $1,063.00

That is one SERIOUS beating.

well, that just goes to prove that when you are dealing with a book that multiplies in value with every grade increment, you are rolling the dice with a raw purchase.

If it came back CGC 9.4, would Metro have been right to call the buyer, demanding more money?

Lets be honest here, if that book was a legitimate 9.4 do you seriously think someone would sell it raw (shrug)

GPA ASM #9

well, that just goes to prove that when you are dealing with a book that multiplies in value with every grade increment, you are rolling the dice with a raw purchase.

If it came back CGC 9.4, would Metro have been right to call the buyer, demanding more money?

I really wish you were kidding. But I have a feeling you are not.

Metro should be doing better then Ebay grading. Im sorry, but if they grade that a 9.2 ... They cant grade.

GPA ASM #9

Lets be honest here, if that book was a legitimate 9.4 do you seriously think someone would sell it raw (shrug)

Blue808 sells me raw VF/NM and NM- quite often....not to take too much away from your statement :baiting:

GPA ASM #9

It was hypothetical.

If it was a legitimate CGC 9.2 candidate, I don't think it would be sold raw...

GPA ASM #9

Blue808 sells me raw VF/NM and NM- quite often....not to take too much away from your statement :baiting:

Blue can grade :baiting:

But I am sure he doesn't make a living from comics and I seriously doubt if he had that book he would sell it raw :baiting:

GPA ASM #9

Metro should be doing better then Ebay grading. Im sorry, but if they grade that a 9.2 ... They cant grade.

Nope, not kidding.

The responsibility rests with the buyer in this case. If a buyer cannot tell a raw book's CGC grade when in hand, he should not be buying raw books to submit to CGC with any expectation of getting the dealer grade.

Look, I have had lots of issues with Metro, to the point I no longer buy anything from them.

The fact that they will charge more for a CGC book than they will for the exact book in raw form is an open admission that thier grading standards are not as tight as CGCs. Just like 99% of the sellers out there.

When you are dealing with non-high grade books, it's not a big deal, but on a book that goes up 100% for a grade increment, buyer beware.

GPA ASM #9

Nope, not kidding.

The responsibility rests with the buyer in this case. If a buyer cannot tell a raw book's CGC grade when in hand, he should not be buying raw books to submit to CGC with any expectation of getting the dealer grade.

Look, I have had lots of issues with Metro, to the point I no longer buy anything from them.

The fact that they will charge more for a CGC book than they will for the exact book in raw form is an open admission that thier grading standards are not as tight as CGCs. Just like 99% of the sellers out there.

When you are dealing with non-high grade books, it's not a big deal, but on a book that goes up 100% for a grade increment, buyer beware.

I can agree with that.

i wouldn't have stated it as harshly as this but i tend to agree. from the start, the buyer needed to confront metro about the grade assigned. an "i think given the crease at the bottom, the book is at best a 9.0" and negotiated from there. by buying it as advertised, the buyer implicitly agreed w/ metro's grade.

to further complicate matters,the CGC gods were unnecessarily harsh- the book certainly wasn't a 9.2 but it also sure as heck doesn't look like an 8.0 from the scan.