• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM purchase from Metro.....

383 posts in this topic

From the cover alone it defintely looks like an 8.5 and the pages look to be white? Did you ask for a back cover scan? I don't think that I'd buy a SA book raw for over $2K unless I thought it was a 9.6 or better. In fairness to Metro I tend to agree with them about CGC. If this came back a 8.5 or 9.0 would you have been upset?

Really guys (and thanks to you nubnutts who still haven't told me which book it is), I have my beef with Metro too but there is no real beef here. They advertised a book, someone bought it and then got upset because a 3rd opinion (likely several weeks after) didn't agree with the first two parties. It's that simple. If you had voiced your dis-agreement with the grade upon recieving the book it would have been a completely different game but in this case that's not what happened from what I gather.

Like I said, Metro has issues but this is not one of them IMO.

:foryou:

R.

Really guys (and thanks to you nubnutts who still haven't told me which book it is), I have my beef with Metro too but there is no real beef here. They advertised a book, someone bought it and then got upset because a 3rd opinion (likely several weeks after) didn't agree with the first two parties. It's that simple. If you had voiced your dis-agreement with the grade upon recieving the book it would have been a completely different game but in this case that's not what happened from what I gather.

R.

Like I said though Roy, I am just venting...I didn't agree with the grade....but I sure didn't expect a 8.0...at least give me that :baiting: 3 grades difference is big

R.

You had to reply on my comment. Are you trying to call me numbnuts. Because I have no clue what nubnutts are.

Crazy canadians....

But I see what you are saying. But metro called this book a 9.2, cgc an 8.0 . Neither one is right.

R.

Like I said though Roy, I am just venting...I didn't agree with the grade....but I sure didn't expect a 8.0...at least give me that :baiting: 3 grades difference is big

8.0 doesnt look like such a stretch to me. Theres an problem every few inches all around the perimeter of the book. It just does not look like a real special copy, but probably pretty glossy and tight feeling raw in hand.

But 3 grades off is a big deal on an expensive book. I would hope Metro would agree to disagree and take it back, and just refuse to deal with the buyer again. Any time you buy raw you should discuss it with the dealer to see what happens in cases like this. And if it came back 9.4, thats the same as if it came back 9.0. You win some. You lose some.

8.0 is a savage beating of a different magnitude.

8.0 doesnt look like such a stretch to me. Theres an problem every few inches all around the perimeter of the book. It just does not look like a real special copy, but probably pretty glossy and tight feeling raw in hand.

But 3 grades off is a big deal on an expensive book. I would hope Metro would agree to disagree and take it back, and just refuse to deal with the buyer again. Any time you buy raw you should discuss it with the dealer to see what happens in cases like this. And if it came back 9.4, thats the same as if it came back 9.0. You win some. You lose some.

8.0 is a savage beating of a different magnitude.

I would tend to agree with that it's a shoot, which is why I'm leery of buying raw books online unless I happen to fully trust the site's grading. My point is that Metro's raw books generally fall on the overgraded side rather than undergraded. Compound that with the amount of raw book sales they amass and this overgrading, no matter how slight, is pretty lucrative for them hm

DCs are graded more harsh then Marvels :(

That is true. But if you really like pain, try submitting some Charltons.

Owning a Charlton would be painful enough :baiting:

:( I love me some Charltons. Hanna barbera cartoons. :cloud9: You don't care because you were swapping out trannies while the rest of us were eating cereal and watching cartoons.

Well this just adds more creedence to the theory that CGC has been grading insanely strict as of late.

This thread to me is evidence of exactly the opposite. There is no way that book gets through CGC now, 2 years ago, 4 years ago, or 8 years ago as anything above an 8.5 without the final grader just being tired or having an off-day. Color-breaking creases on the top AND bottom edges that are each an inch or more in length? This could have easily gone to 7.5.

And if you look at your garden variety 8.0 with multiple spine stresses, small corner creases, etc... there is no comparison to this book.

This is a common grading mistake. It's not just the count of defects that factor into overall grade, it's the severity of each defect. Let's say the book is an otherwise-9.6 copy, but we move the 1" color-breaking crease to the bottom right-hand corner of the book and that it's at a 45 degree angle to the bottom and right edges. So it's a near-perfect book that has the single defect. Does the fact that it only has a single defect lessen the severity of that defect? This book doesn't get higher than 7.5 if you move that crease off of the overhang and into one of the corners.

DCs are graded more harsh then Marvels :(

That is true. But if you really like pain, try submitting some Charltons.

Owning a Charlton would be painful enough :baiting:

:( I love me some Charltons. Hanna barbera cartoons. :cloud9: You don't care because you were swapping out trannies while the rest of us were eating cereal and watching cartoons.

I don't know what that means. Are you reading the comics targeted at homosexual readers?