• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM purchase from Metro.....

383 posts in this topic

Also, I strongly urge people who buy RAW, expensive, key books in high grade, ( from anyone who sells high grade slabs as well ) to ask one's self, "why is the item not in slab ?" ;)

Some long-time sellers who can grade well don't submit because they don't think they have to, that their reputation as excellent sellers can yield them high prices anyway. Metropolis certainly has this type of reputation, and I'm guessing that factored into ComicGrinder's decision to purchase the book. Marnin Rosenberg at comiccollectors.net is probably the prime example of a seller who staunchly believes his own grading should merit not having to get his books slabbed.

How long ago was this book purchased? It wasn't on the site at the same time as the slabbed copy for $1000 more, was it? If it was...I suppose that in itself spoke quite a bit as to Metro's confidence in their own grading.

good point on the grading....well said all around....but then I'm biased :insane:

I once bought a Centaur from Metro that I know was CGC graded as a 7.0; Metro was selling it as a 7.5, so as stated eariler they will de-slab a book and sell it at a higher grade.

I was still happy with the deal because it was a nearly impossible book to find and in this instance I was OK with it!! :cool:

But for a ASM #9, that's a horse of a different color!!! (tsk)

Did you have to arm wrestle Gator for it?

he beat me, fair and square :baiting:

I think it is awesome. We dont have to agree with CGC grading, or have to sell a book saying it will grade relatively close to what was stated. But we can sure use the prices the slabbed books sell for..

I still stick with my statement. Give grinder the 9.2 slab, and take back the raw. Its an even 9.2 for a 9.2 , and I am sure it would reflect positively for them.

Their 9.2 is priced at $3500 :tonofbricks:
thats whu I bought the raw copy...couldn't afford the $1000 over GPA at the time (shrug)

well, not for nothing, but if they had a cgc 9.2 for $3500, and a raw 9.2 for $2700, that's kind of a big giant sign on the wall that the raw 9.2 would not translate to a cgc 9.2....

I just took a look at a Spiderman #9 CGC 9.2 ow/white that I currently have in stock. This book has a thin 1 1/2" crease at the bottom/middle of the front cover. Just like the book that CGC called 8.0

S

In that case, I have a perfect solution for you. Trade your CGC 9.2 book for his Metro 9.2/CGC 8.0 book.

If you REALLY BELIEVE your grading is correct, CGC is wrong, etc, etc. you would offer to swap books.

:popcorn:

This has been posted repeatedly by myself and Doc Watson. But I agree with this. :popcorn:

thats whu I bought the raw copy...couldn't afford the $1000 over GPA at the time (shrug)

well, not for nothing, but if they had a cgc 9.2 for $3500, and a raw 9.2 for $2700, that's kind of a big giant sign on the wall that the raw 9.2 would not translate to a cgc 9.2....

The list price on the 9.2 was $2500....they gave me a $50 discount on the book, I paid $2450....

I just took a look at a Spiderman #9 CGC 9.2 ow/white that I currently have in stock. This book has a thin 1 1/2" crease at the bottom/middle of the front cover. Just like the book that CGC called 8.0

S

In that case, I have a perfect solution for you. Trade your CGC 9.2 book for his Metro 9.2/CGC 8.0 book.

If you REALLY BELIEVE your grading is correct, CGC is wrong, etc, etc. you would offer to swap books.

This has been posted repeatedly by myself and Doc Watson. But I agree with this. :popcorn:

yup, sorry, didn't read the whole thread when I posted.

The list price on the 9.2 was $2500....they gave me a $50 discount on the book, I paid $2450....

$50. That's huge for a Metro discount. I once asked if they could do anything for me on the price of a book. It guided for around $90 or so, and it was a CGC 9.6. It was priced at $520. I was hoping to get it for $500 (less than 4% discount) I will NEVER forget his reply. "That's the price. I have a VF copy if you'd like that instead"

I'm sorry, but if he didn't want to take anything off the price-THAT'S FINE. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a small discount on a book, and I don't think it's unreasonable for a seller to say no, but how about you do it in a professional manner and not talk down to your customer. What a jerk.

Sorry I am replying without reading all the posts (so someone may have already mentioned this), but I have learned this rule of thumb about Metro when it comes to unslabbed books. Here is a general rule that will never let you down: Any raw book Metro has graded, expect it to come back from CGC anywhere from .5-2.0 points less. Thats one reason their CGC graded books are priced higher than the same raw book they graded themselves, .i.e, they know this.

The raw Spiderman #9 was sold for exactly $2400. I would have no problem taking the book back and giving a full credit toward the CGC 9.2

S

The raw Spiderman #9 was sold for exactly $2400. I would have no problem taking the book back and giving a full credit toward the CGC 9.2

S

In this case, that seems like a fair deal to me !

(thumbs u

Case closed, and I'm critical of Metro. They seem to be trying to remedy the situation with this one.

The creasing on the top of the CGC Spidy 9 9.2 does not break color. The creasing at the bottom does break color.

The bottom crease appears to be around 2 inches long. The scan does show a few white pixels right around the middle of the crease. How long does the color break run--does it run the entire 2 inches, or is it shorter?

As to that filled-in interior crossword...I don't get that grade of 8.0 either. We've seen them give 1" tears on multiple interior pages at least the 9.2 grade...you'd think a filled-in crossword would be a similar defect. Neither significantly downgrade the ability to read the comic, which I should be the primary criterion to judge on the interior, the functionality of reading it.

Here is a great solution!!!...If Metropolis extended their return policy to 30 days, that would be plenty of time to get it CGC graded express service. This would generate more business and confidence for Metro and Metro would have to be more strict in their grading. It would possibly also mean more books returned to Metro. However, I don't see them ever doing this. I mean, they are a business and they are here to make money.

Here is a great solution!!!...If Metropolis extended their return policy to 30 days, that would be plenty of time to get it CGC graded express service. This would generate more business and confidence for Metro and Metro would have to be more strict in their grading. It would possibly also mean more books returned to Metro. However, I don't see them ever doing this. I mean, they are a business and they are here to make money.

They don't need to do this, as I stated in my informative post, they do not guarantee CGC grades. So why would they need to extend a 30 day refund ????