• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question as SS's

39 posts in this topic

I have just become interested in collecting SS and I was wondering, who is the most coveted and sought after signatures of those still available to sign? I understand personal desires trump all, but as a general consensus, who are the hard ones to obtain, and the perceived most valuable.

As a side question. When an artist is no longer available suddenly, such as Michael Turner, does it dampen the collectors chasing his SS's generally? Or do they go on with the pursuit of his signatures on more items that are out there.

Sorry if I sound out of the loop, but I collected many signatures before CGC started, but few since and I am trying to get up to speed.

I still can't make up my mind about having my books scribbled on by anyone, but I do think that with modern books, it is kind of cool. I wouldn't do it with Golden Age, and would have to think hard about Silver Age. Bronze? Probably. That would depend on the grade. The higher the grade, the less likely I would want it signed on the cover.

I would have to say a Steve Ditko SS would be the most coveted.

I think there are a few Stephen King Dark Tower SS, which I am sure would go for big bucks if they ever go on the open market.

Some other coveted sigs are Frank Frazetta, Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, Stan Lee, and Neil Gaiman.

Frank MIller has become tough in recent years, Joe Kubert isn't easy, and any creator living overseas is difficult simply due to availability.

As a rule, when a creator suddenly passes, I try to ease up a bit so as not to seem like a complete ghoul. I still deserately want a Dave Stevens Rocketeer signed and would love a Creig Flessel CGC SS, but have my doubts about either.

I was where you are a little more than a year ago. I didn't want anybody scriblling on my books, regardless of who they are or what they had done. Now, it's a lot of fun trying to get the hot creators or other associated with the books. It quickly becomes very addictive......

Thanks much for the info. I know that Stan Lee is "the man", but it seems that his signature is easily obtained and they are everywhere. Still.....he is "the man".

A Stephen King SS would be something for sure!

Is Adam West still alive?

Did Christopher Reeves do any SS's?

And last but not least, would it be cool to have a child of Edgar Church (if there is an Edgar Chuch Jr.) do a SS on a Mile High? Would that be destruction of the most likely best example of a particular issue around? Would CGC accept something like that?

So many questions. So little truly important :)

Frank MIller has become tough in recent years, Joe Kubert isn't easy, and any creator living overseas is difficult simply due to availability.

As a rule, when a creator suddenly passes, I try to ease up a bit so as not to seem like a complete ghoul. I still deserately want a Dave Stevens Rocketeer signed and would love a Creig Flessel CGC SS, but have my doubts about either.

I was where you are a little more than a year ago. I didn't want anybody scriblling on my books, regardless of who they are or what they had done. Now, it's a lot of fun trying to get the hot creators or other associated with the books. It quickly becomes very addictive......

It sure does, Doug. The guys that are at the top of my list probably are not as sought after by most folks. I am very, very interested in Bob Burden, Harvey Pekar, James O'barr, and Mike Allred. They did some great stuff and they do not show up at shows often at all.

As far as grade is concerned, it is completely up to you. On copper and moderns I want the best grade possible. On Bronze, I am normally doing 8.5-9.4 copies. I have ocassionally gotten 9.6s on bronze books, like my Steranko Shanna #1 and Kaluta Shadow #1. But if I had known "for sure" they were 9.6s, I'd have thought twice about it, but now I really love them. Silver books, I normally choose great eye-appeal books, so most of my Silver is 7.0-9.0. Have fun!

--Sean.

I am very, very interested in Bob Burden, Harvey Pekar, James O'barr, and Mike Allred. They did some great stuff and they do not show up at shows often at all.

--Sean.

I just got a bunch of books signed by Bob at DragonCon and a Fallen Son done. Its in my CAF gallery that is linked to my sig.

I am very, very interested in Bob Burden, Harvey Pekar, James O'barr, and Mike Allred. They did some great stuff and they do not show up at shows often at all.

--Sean.

I just got a bunch of books signed by Bob at DragonCon and a Fallen Son done. Its in my CAF gallery that is linked to my sig.

Daniel, I knew he was down there and even had a couple of books pulled to send to you. Just couldn't get my act together. Got any for sale? hm

Adam West is still around, but I haven't found anything I want done by him. A sig, yes, but on what?

I would do a Detective from '66 or '67 with a bunch of "BAM" "BIFF" and "KAPOWs" on the cover. There are plenty to choose from. lol

Well we will see, I only got two books signed by him CGCed, one is a Flamming Carrot #1 (ardvark) which is in the 8.5-9.2 range and then a CGC 9.8 Flamming Carrot Giant Size or Annual #1 that was unslabbed and signed. I will let you know if they are for sale when the grades come in. :)

I would add that Alan Moore and Steve Ditko are def. some of the hardest sigs to get. Those are my white whales....

I am also fairly sure that any SS witness can have anyone sign a book and authenticate it. SO yes if there were a Church Jr. you could have a church jr. sig series book. SO long as the witness properlly sets it up with CGC in advance.

Good Luck.