• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I received a PM from Tracey Heft today.....

124 posts in this topic

....one of our hobbies most respected and accomplished Conservation experts / didn't know he was a member of the Boards. Looks like Tracey has only posted twice in 2008 .... maybe we can change that!

Do you guys have any questions for him? .... I know he is reading this :devil:

I'd be interested to know if he thinks that the pressing of comic books would affect the long term quality of a book, ie whether the quality of the paper would deteriorate quicker than it would do otherwise.

I'm talking of a period of time like between 10 - 50 years.

I'm sure there's probably a reason that he has only posted twice.....Not meant in a bad way, by no means...just some people might prefer to remain anonymous and just read what is happening within the community he has chosen to work in..

With that said, I find it interesting how the views of restoration by collectors have changed since cgc has come into play...

I'd be interested to know if he thinks that the pressing of comic books would affect the long term quality of a book, ie whether the quality of the paper would deteriorate quicker than it would do otherwise.

(worship) Im a skeptic so ive always figured pressing was one of 2 things: destructive in the long long run, or not permanent.

(worship) Im a skeptic so ive always figured pressing was one of 2 things: destructive in the long long run, or not permanent.

I do not own any books that have been pressed or plan on really pressing any of my books, but just curious how compression of the pages would be destructive in the long run? I can see the heat adding to the deterioration of page quality, but is the heat absolutely needed to press a book?

Ladies and Gentlemen, lets end this consversation quickly...your comics are pressed and heated to almost 200 F when the are printed brand new before they are put on the newstands.

As an aside, I have talked to Trace about restoring one of my GA books and he is a very knowledgeable person. From what I understand he is Museum trained in the conservation of paper.

It's be nice if he chimes in but if he doesn't I'd totally understand why.

R.

I'm sure there's probably a reason that he has only posted twice.....Not meant in a bad way, by no means...just some people might prefer to remain anonymous and just read what is happening within the community he has chosen to work in..

Or maybe this is the reason:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=393639&Searchpage=6&Main=22110&Words=sborock&topic=0&Search=true#Post393639

Sorry...just new to this restoration stuff...I've always heard that heat (I guess after printing) was bad for the paper and just thought that might be what would harm the book..I can definitely see how and why one would want to restore a GA book...

I'm interested in what conservation methods can be used to safely de-acidify old, poor quality print pages and are any of these methods not considered restoration.?

Can brittleness in old comics be reversed?

At some point, old comics will need to go from preservation to conservation and can this be done without significantly altering the comic?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=393639&Searchpage=6&Main=22110&Words=sborock&topic=0&Search=true#Post393639

Long time, no see. :hi:

Just the facts, ma'am.

hm , hes obviously not new...right :baiting:

Just the facts, ma'am.

Only the (user) names have been changed, to protect the innocent.

65715.jpg.8f5d80fdeb9055b7fb3f0610412090ec.jpg

New would be a relative term...

I found a link to that information/post here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comics_Guaranty_LLC&diff=219856522&oldid=218339098#Pressing_vs._conservation_vs._restoration_vs._trimming

Edit: scroll down to just above the "Jason Ewart" section.

Well I read the link. I am going to reserve judgment for now. If he knows as much about resto as is being touted I would be interested in learning whatever he wants to tell us. Just my 2c

I am always looking to expand my knowledge of rest techniques and how to spot them.

Well I read the link. I am going to reserve judgment for now. If he knows as much about resto as is being touted I would be interested in learning whatever he wants to tell us. Just my 2c

I am always looking to expand my knowledge of rest techniques and how to spot them.

^^