• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars #1 variant sells for $12k

92 posts in this topic

That was my book - I bought on eBay for $220 from the original owner in 1998 and got it slabbed. I sold it on eBay for $1386 in 2000.

You sold it RAW for $1,386.00???? in 2000?

That price ($12,000.00) is assanine for this book. These price "variants" are retarded, a manufactured "variant" IMO doh! When did Overstreet even start listing these things in the guide? and why I ask? at WHO'S request??? hm

How are they a manufactured variant?

Overstreet started listing it (the Star Wars one) shortly after it's release.

No they didn't, that's factually untrue :makepoint:

I'll looking in the 1978 guide this minute and its not in there. Wanna bet it's not listed in the 1980 guide either????hm

Wanna bet it's not listed in the 1980 guide either????hm

I should have taken that bet :)

It wouldn't have been fair since I knew they were broken out pretty early after the book's release. We've had a lot of discussion of the Marvel price variants here and a lot of discussion of this book in general, so it's not like I was just guessing at it.

In fact, if you go back to the earlier sales you'll see large discussions surrounding each of the sales.

...These price "variants" are retarded, a manufactured "variant" IMO doh! When did Overstreet even start listing these things in the guide? and why I ask? at WHO'S request??? hm

huh?

Think you got confused. This is the exact opposite of a 'manufactured' variant, in the sense of a deliberately designed collectible.

The price variation was never intended to be noticed by the customer for any reason other than determining how many cents to fork over.

A 1:100 Turner cover, now THAT'S a manufactured variant! :)

Dont think my crappy 4.0 would bring that much........ (shrug)

Maybe you can press it into a 9.4 hm

:ohm (thumbs u

Honestly I am quite happy with my low grade copy. I am shocked this copy garnered that coin!!

I dont think the much rarer Iron Fist 14 35 cent variant could aproach that in 9.4

grade. Is there even a 9.4 copy of the variant??

I guess I just don't get it? These were simply "test" books sent out to see how the market would react (no pun intended Rob) to the upcoming higher price...uhhhhhhhhhhh, and??????

There is zero about the book itself that makes it different, or rare? The ONLY reason it's "rare" is because they were test books, printed in low numbers BECAUSE they were TEST books. Essentially, they were INTENDED to be "rare" by numbers, by NOT rare by any significant creative, or artistic, merit. Look, it's only MY opinion, but i find it VERY bizarre, and strange. SOMEONE must have whispered into Bob's ear about this "variant" and "seduced" him to put it into the guide.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

I guess I just don't get it? These were simply "test" books sent out to see how the market would react (no pun intended Rob) to the upcoming higher price...uhhhhhhhhhhh, and??????

There is zero about the book itself that makes it different, or rare? The ONLY reason it's "rare" is because they were test books, printed in low numbers BECAUSE they were TEST books. Essentially, they were INTENDED to be "rare" by numbers, by NOT rare by any significant creative, or artistic, merit. Look, it's only MY opinion, but i find it VERY bizarre, and strange. SOMEONE must have whispered into Bob's ear about this "variant" and "seduced" him to put it into the guide.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

What exactly does the word "variant" mean to you? I can't infer one from your comments above