• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars #1 variant sells for $12k

92 posts in this topic

You still have that letter Donut??

That is a valuable peice of Marvel history in terms of both significanse and what it could bring at auction to variant collectors.

I do have it, but it is a photocopy of the original made by the seller.

I read somewher that the estimated print run of the SW varianrt was no more than 1000 Donut or JC could probably confirm the estimate.

I believe the SW 1 variant has the highest print run of all the 35 cent variants, but I'm not entirely sure. Still under 1500. ShieldAgent would know better than I do.

You think we are condition freaks? Some of these guys make us look like normal people when it comes to the condition of their cards, boxes, posters, etc.

I don't think there woud be an action figure "slabbing industry" if not for Star Wars action figures creating the demand for the slabs to get that business model off the ground 2c

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center.

Please point me in the direction of this mass-influx of 35-cent variants. :wishluck:

OK, I've kept the Question on ignore since our last falling out but I can see what's going on here from JC's posts.

How the frig can a comic differ in physical form? Sizes are pretty much standard.

Are you talking about content, because that is somthing completely different?

If you are talking content then these comics are different as the asking price is different.

Obviously at least one person has such a dear attachment to this comic that they thought it was a very valuable book. I remember being shocked in the early 80's at how the price spiked on this book.

This is as far away from a manufactured variant as you can get. It is a sleeper variant that manufacturers did not realize would become a collectible.

R.

zzz If you can't conceptualize how a comic book can have differentiating physical forms, then I can't/won't, help you :makepoint:

Now, you had me on ignore (*cough* *cough*) but just happen to chime in here huh? Let's just get back to the regular scheduled program..and PUT ME BACK ON IF THAT'S THE CASE! :gossip:

I'd truly rather not read from the CGC board, president of the Hitler fan club... ciao :hi:

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center. I bet 50% of the owners have never noticed the different price tags on some of these books.

I've owned a few of the SW 35 cent variant - people notice :gossip:

I started noting the sales of these upon returning to the boards, and I found the sales softer on raw and slabbed than I have ever noticed historically speaking. There were even a few copies of IF 14 that popped-up on eBay that were hammering at lower yields than I was expecting (especially if you compare it to the way that book has been selling for the last five years). These use to have a mystique about them with collectors (even those that didn't drool whenever the word variant popped-up), and even low to mid-grade copies used to sell strong, but it seems interest has migrated with the mindset of paying only premiums for high-grade. Maybe we are seeing a resurgence of interest with the yield on this book? (shrug)

OK, I've kept the Question on ignore since our last falling out but I can see what's going on here from JC's posts.

How the frig can a comic differ in physical form? Sizes are pretty much standard.

Are you talking about content, because that is somthing completely different?

If you are talking content then these comics are different as the asking price is different.

Obviously at least one person has such a dear attachment to this comic that they thought it was a very valuable book. I remember being shocked in the early 80's at how the price spiked on this book.

This is as far away from a manufactured variant as you can get. It is a sleeper variant that manufacturers did not realize would become a collectible.

R.

zzz If you can't conceptualize how a comic book can have differentiating physical forms, then I can't/won't, help you :makepoint:

Now, you had me on ignore (*cough* *cough*) but just happen to chime in here huh? Let's just get back to the regular scheduled program..and PUT ME BACK ON IF THAT'S THE CASE! :gossip:

I'd truly rather not read from the CGC board, president of the Hitler fan club... ciao :hi:

Stay classy, bro.

I'd like to hear your explanation as to why this is a "manufactured variant," seeing as the intent was not to make a more collectible copy of a popular title, but rather to gauge consumer resistance to a 16% price increase

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

(shrug)

Nice try. When you quote him the ignore feature doesn't work. Only the ignored person's original posts are on ignore.

Anyhow, no big deal.

I enjoy being right and not arguing it.

Unlike you.

:roflmao:

One question: were these 30c and 35c versions dubbed "variants" from the get-go, or were they called variants after the whole variant-craze-one-million-different-cover era? Did the OS call them variants in 1980?

The first time I noticed was in OS 17 - the books I was interested in back were the X-Men 98-100 variants. From the sounds of the previous response, it may have happened at roughly the same time.

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center.

Please point me in the direction of this mass-influx of 35-cent variants. :wishluck:

They seem to be for sale everywhere, Pedigree, Comiclink, all over EBay. I love these variants but I'm used to Gerber 7+ GA books being called "rare".