• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get a sketch cover done (Fallen Son/Invasion)

14 posts in this topic

I've seen a ton of great sketch covers on the boards and was wondering how one goes about getting a personal sketch done. This would be just for a sketch cover and not a CGC SS sketch cover. I'm just throwing these questions out there. I know due to time constraints for the artists, some of these questions sound ridiculous.

Do you wait in line for said artist at the comic con, then when it comes to your turn, you present them with the blank cover, drop off a check for the sketch fees and ask for a sketch?

Do you need to arrange the sketch with the artist prior to the show, and when the show comes around, you drop off the comic/fees?

Any information/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I go to whatever artist I am looking for right away at the beginning of a convention. I present them w/ research of what I am looking for and I ask them what are their rates. (Which have been going up ALOT recently)

Then be sure to tell them when you are leaving, and that you will pay upon the finish of the commission. (You may have to leave 1/2 the amount)

You can also try to email in advance and ask about rates/what you can work out in advance. That has worked nicely in the past as well.

Artists are very clear now about what they will and will not do. Sometimes it just has to work out the right way and comes down to luck and being at the right place at the right time.

Good Luck!

Most people wait in line, and if the artist is sketching, present the artist with the comic and ask them to sketch on it. Sometimes people contact the artist in advance to make sure they get on the sketch list.

And no checks or credit cards.... CASH. Sometimes the artist will ask for it up front, but usually you pay when you get the finished sketch. In some rare cases artists even sketch for free.

I've seen a ton of great sketch covers on the boards and was wondering how one goes about getting a personal sketch done. This would be just for a sketch cover and not a CGC SS sketch cover. I'm just throwing these questions out there. I know due to time constraints for the artists, some of these questions sound ridiculous.

Do you wait in line for said artist at the comic con, then when it comes to your turn, you present them with the blank cover, drop off a check for the sketch fees and ask for a sketch?

Do you need to arrange the sketch with the artist prior to the show, and when the show comes around, you drop off the comic/fees?

Any information/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Still a little bit of a newb as far as sketch covers go, but I have gotten a couple done. Remember, first, if you are going to SS, the witness has to get the book back from the artist himself. If you are not SSing it is pretty easy. Approach the artist when they are either not busy, or (I prefer) when they are working on another commission. Then you can ask them to price based on the commission they are working on so you have an idea of the level of detail you get based upon the price point.

I did that with Bob Layton. I said, "I want something just like that." He quoted the price and I gave all the particulars to his very attractive assistant and got a great sketch cover. David mack was much more off the cuff. I just described to him what i wanted and he quoted the price and ended up producing an amazing fully inked cover.

It is fun and not too difficult.

All the stuff that's been mentioned is solid advice. My 2 cents -

Some artists prefer not to draw on the sketch covers for various reasons - they dont like the way pencils/inks take to the cover, they think the space is too small, etc. If that's the case, don't press the issue, and just say that you respect what they will either do or not do and that's fine. I've encountered that a couple times, so I know for sure that it can happen.

Also, to minimize handling of the book and/or damage to the book while it is being worked on, I highly suggest the windowing the bag of the comic.

So let me get this straight, you want comic artists to draw on a blank cover?

Who in thier right mind would pay for something like that :screwy:

I kid I kid

I know. After getting all of the sound advice, I think I'll keep the pristine white covers just the way they are! Nice and white, without all the scribbling on it. What the heck was I thinking? doh!

I kid I kid

I know. After getting all of the sound advice, I think I'll keep the pristine white covers just the way they are! Nice and white, without all the scribbling on it. What the heck was I thinking? doh!

I had bought four or five sketch covers before I started getting my own commissions. While I love the ones that bought, there is something extra cool about being involved in conceptualizing a commissioned sketch and then getting the finished product. :cloud9:

I kid I kid

I had bought four or five sketch covers before I started getting my own commissions. While I love the ones that bought, there is something extra cool about being involved in conceptualizing a commissioned sketch and then getting the finished product. :cloud9:

Quoted for truth. This is what got me so interested in compiling my collection.

This is going to sound really stupid, I realize, but has anyone slabbed a Fallen Son or Secret Invasion blank cover WITHOUT a sketch or signature on it?

This is going to sound really stupid, I realize, but has anyone slabbed a Fallen Son or Secret Invasion blank cover WITHOUT a sketch or signature on it?

I've seen quite a few CGC 9.8 blank covers on ebay.