• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

184 DCs To Go

116 posts in this topic

Ian - I can, without much difficulty, source you the very early Detectives. They will not be cheap, but I know where I can get them. I also know where there's a NICE Detective 27 that is CGC downgraded because it is missing a coupon on the back cover. I believe the price on it is in the low $30s. Let me know if you're interested and I can pursue with these guys.

It all depends what you mean by "will not be cheap".

But please let me know.

As for the Detective 27, I won't go above twenty five, so it has to be either REALLY beat up, or really restored, and eventually I should find one at that price, maybe with the back cover missing or something like that.

I'm sure you've noticed that Legion Lost #1 is currently being auctioned on eBay as part of a set. (Currently at $41.)

Legion Lost #1 Auction

If you guys aren't interested in this because of the price, I have another lead on another copy. (I may actually own this one as well but I'll have to check my collection which is stored off site. I picked up several hundred assorted Legion issues and series last year and didn't really go through them.)

Ian:

The following books from your list are available in the "Lost Valley" collection, found by Basement Comix or Mad Cow Comics. Both guys (Al from Basement and Jeff from Mad Cow) are stand up fellows. The prices are not cheap, but they probably can do something with you. Let me know if you'd like me to make introductions.

Big Book of Fun Comics 1 VFN- $20,000

Detective Comics 2 CGC 6.0 $20,000

Detective Comics 3 CGC 5.5 $11,000

Detective Comics 4 CGC 6.5 $10,500

Detective Comics 5 CGC 6.5 $7,600

Detective Comics 9 CGC 8.5 $11,000

More Fun Comics 10 CGC 3.0 $1,700

More Fun Comics 12 CGC 7.0 $3,000

More Fun Comics 15 CGC 5.0 $3,500

More Fun Comics 19 CGC 6.5 $1,800

New Adventure Comics 21 CGC 6.5 $1,400

New Adventure Comics 23 CGC 7.0 $1,500

I know that Al has a Supergear as well that he might be willing to move.

The following books from your list are available in the "Lost Valley" collection, found by Basement Comix or Mad Cow Comics. Both guys (Al from Basement and Jeff from Mad Cow) are stand up fellows. The prices are not cheap, but they probably can do something with you. Let me know if you'd like me to make introductions.

I would love the above twelve comics, but they're all above a price I'd pay, mainly as they're all in higher grades, except for the More Fun 10, which is WAY WAY overpriced at a 3.0.

John Verzyl sold me the 9 for $1400 in a higher grade, and the 14, which is a much higher priced book, in a 5.0 for $1000, so there's no way I'll pay $1700 for a number 10 that's only just better than a G.

Having said that, may I have their phone number please ?? Maybe they'll do some sort of a deal with me ???

I rang Al, and they've almost all gone.

And the chances of me paying twenty thousand for a Detective 2 are about as slim as the chances of DC starting up Adventure Comics again at number 503.

Hi. Almost all have gone where? Al had those books for sale at San Diego, Chicago, Baltimore and recently on ebay. None sold. So are you saying they are suddenly almost all sold? Given his sky high prices I would have a hard time believing that he has sold any of them.

Hi. Almost all have gone where? Al had those books for sale at San Diego, Chicago, Baltimore and recently on ebay. None sold. So are you saying they are suddenly almost all sold? Given his sky high prices I would have a hard time believing that he has sold any of them.

Well I phoned him today and he said the only Detective he had left off that list was the Number 2 for twenty thousand. He said he got nearly twenty thousand for the Big Book Of Fun Comics.

The whole conversation made me nauseous. Are all the prices being re-written or have I just stepped through the Looking Glass ?????????????

Almost all have gone where? Al had those books for sale at San Diego, Chicago, Baltimore and recently on ebay. None sold. So are you saying they are suddenly almost all sold? Given his sky high prices I would have a hard time believing that he has sold any of them.

Harley said that Al did indeed sell the Big Book Of Fun Comics, but it was seriously high grade, near mint I think.

I just wanna find a low grade copy.

I rang Al, and they've almost all gone.

And the chances of me paying twenty thousand for a Detective 2 are about as slim as the chances of DC starting up Adventure Comics again at number 503.

I agree those prices are steep. It takes someone with a very big wallet to afford stuff like that. I bet very few of us, if anybody, on this board has got that kind of cash. Maybe you will get lucky and find some cheaper lower grade copies somewhere.

Another suggestion, is maybe to trade some of your valuable comics in for some lower grades to free up some cash to pick up some of the others. I don't know if that would be feasible though given the dollar value of some of those missing comics.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another suggestion, is maybe to trade some of your valuable comics in for some lower grades to free up some cash to pick up some of the others

WHY ???????

If I'm trying to collect every DC, having painstakingly tracked down ninety nine percent of them, and at least have SOME high grades, what on Earth would that achieve ?????????

I'd be left with a far far inferior collection. Especially as I'm slowly upgrading the worst ones I got.

But to DOWNGRADE ???????????????????????????

Al's Big Bk of Fun was raw vf- $20k. I believe it is too large to Cgc even with mag slabbing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overstreet guides the VF at fourteen thousand, so the VF- would be considerably below that.

This book was horribly overpriced.

In the case of something like the Fat And Slat Joke Book, granted Overstreet's pricing was ridiculously low, but it most certainly ISN'T in the case of THIS book.

WHY ???????

If I'm trying to collect every DC, having painstakingly tracked down ninety nine percent of them, and at least have SOME high grades, what on Earth would that achieve ?????????

I'd be left with a far far inferior collection. Especially as I'm slowly upgrading the worst ones I got.

No offence but I would suggest you tone it down a little. You tend to use alot of question marks (when only one is needed) & capital letters in your posts. People may find it annoying. I know I do.

WHY ???????

No offence but I would suggest you tone it down a little. You tend to use alot of question marks (when only one is needed) & capital letters in your posts. People may find it annoying. I know I do.

popcorn.gif

It's just the way I naturally write in everyday life. It certainly wasn't intended to cause offence. I tend to exaggerate certain words or emphasize certain points without even thinking about it.