• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

184 DCs To Go

116 posts in this topic

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume that you are trying to collect all the DCs that have ever been published? Are you buying them up to a certain date or do you still buy new every issue that is published every week?

I'm sure you have ebay searches saved as "Favorites" and you check them once or twice a week. I bet this is very time consuming though if you search inside the auction description as well. Pretty much everything shows up on ebay eventually, but of course you don't know how long some will take.

Anyway, your quest is admirable and it's amazing that you are down to only 100 or so books. Good luck.

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume that you are trying to collect all the DCs that have ever been published? Are you buying them up to a certain date or do you still buy new every issue that is published every week?

This was asked on an earlier posting.

Yes it's right up to date.

For example, I possess every copy of Action Comics from 1 right through to 810 with no exceptions.

And as of today it's 101 to go.

You stated earlier that you would accept copies which did not have a back cover, or were generally not in the greatest of shape. A couple of questions:

1/ What percentage are missing back covers or are in fair/ poor condition?

2/ Are you planning to go back and upgrade these copies when you are finished with the list, or have you had enough by this point?

Apologies if these questions have been asked in other threads.

BTW, I currently carry a print out of your list with me on my antique shop/ flea markets trips in the off-chance that I find one of the items. I think that there are several forum members here who are living vicariously through you on this particular project. Good luck!

You stated earlier that you would accept copies which did not have a back cover, or were generally not in the greatest of shape. A couple of questions:

1/ What percentage are missing back covers or are in fair/ poor condition?

2/ Are you planning to go back and upgrade these copies when you are finished with the list, or have you had enough by this point?

Less than a hundred comics are missing back covers, out of thirty thousand. NONE are missing front covers. Not too many poors and some fairs but most of them are fairly solid. Remember I've also bought several 9.2s as well, especially Sensations and All Americans, where I seem to have a lot of very high grades. I've got a Green Lantern 16 that's near mint.

I've already been upgrading any comic where there are any missing pages or where a noticeable piece of the cover has been repaired. Only yesterday I picked up an All Star 6, a Mystery In Space 1, and last week an All Star 27, all of which had defects that needed fixing. So yes I am upgrading as I come across them.

Ian - do you have the Amethyst 1 and 2 35 cent variant covers?

I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what the difference is. Please elaborate.

Don't be ashamed, be proud. One has a 30 cent price and the other has a 35 cent price. There is no other difference.

Don't be ashamed, be proud. One has a 30 cent price and the other has a 35 cent price. There is no other difference.

To be honest, that's probably not enough of a difference to motivate me to buy both books.

I haven't even bothered with every variant cover (although to be fair, I do have most).

To be honest, that's probably not enough of a difference to motivate me to buy both books.

thumbsup2.gif

Both Amethyst 1 and 2 were test marketed in Austin, TX and Kansas City with a 35 cent cover price, down from the 60 cents that most of them were marked at. Its the only known DC test price from that era, and are probably the rarest of all "modern" DCs, as neither market is big.

This site seems to have a copy of Real Screen Comics #84.

Link to DC Funny Animals Page

As hopeful as I was when I read this, it looks like it's long gone.

The link is to a page from March, and the item isn't listed on their current site.

But thanks for trying.

From their homepage, it says it was last updated 18 November, 2003. That comic is still listed on their site so I took the liberty of emailing them for you. Here's their response:

We'll check and get back to you; probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. If it's

still on the site, we should have it...

We'll see!

--

The Copacetic Comics Company

So don't count them out yet....

Turns out they DO have it (Or DID). Someone just asked for it from the UK, so I hope that was you or your agents.

Ian, I don't know how fervently you are hunting those promotional comics but I ran across this site that has those McDonalds Commondrons comics for $5.00 each.

Thankyou.

There is a set on e-bay that I found yesterday, so I'll be hopefully getting them one way or another.

Turns out they DO have it (Or DID). Someone just asked for it from the UK, so I hope that was you or your agents.

I hope so too.

I assume it was my pal Richard from Quicksilver. He's much more adept and qualified at getting all this stuff together than I am.