• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owner of Sarge's Comics sentenced in piracy case

26 posts in this topic

I say make copying legal. Notice my crocodile tears for all the actors and producers out there.

In my view there should be no such thing as Intellectual Property. Property should be defined as physical and protected by law. Ideas, music, images should all be public domain. Problem solved.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ? hm

don't wanna live in that bizzarro world, fo sho! (shrug) and thankfully, NEVER will...THAT ain't never gonna happen folks!!!!!

Hi. It wouldn't be stealing if it wasn't illegal would it?

Do you believe that if music was legally recorded and copied and broadcast with no payment going to the musician (let alone label), that nobody would make music anymore? lol

The same goes for cinema, computer games, books, you name it. The landscape would change dramatically, but we would still have those things. Probably of a much higher quality and diversity too. You just need to think things through rather than giving it the old knee-jerk.

As for chumps making money off YOUR creativity... well, there'd be no market for pirated goods either, since they'd be freely available. The type of sleazes who make money from piracy would be out of work.

As long as I/my family, see the $$$ that is gained from MY property by it's use...make it legal all you wish. You want it? pay for it...period!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ?

No, but there should be limits on it, which there isn't due to today's "perpetual copyright" scam, so I have no problem with people taking what they want free of charge.

Man, you could apply that same "logic" to MANY issues and LAWS...and end up with a VERY dangerous landscape :gossip:

People WOULD eventually get killed with that approach, I guarantee it!

I like the "idea" that all ideas/intellectual property should be free...

but, with movies or music or whatever... it's not just an idea that's being stolen. It's the produced end result of that idea. Just b/c someone's talents lead them to use tools and spend time creating a product whose content is more important than the package doesn't mean that those people should have less of a right to solely distribute and profit from their work than someone whose talents lead them to create a chair whose packaging is equally as important as the content. (or "idea" of a "chair.")

Sure, I can copy a chair and sell it, but I have to go get the wood, chop it down, and spend the time to actually create a product (albeit a "copy") to sell. It's like buying knock-off perfume or something...

If I want to bootleg an album, I should have to recreate it from the ground up. The idea is free, but the work involved in creating a product out of that idea is not.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ?

No, but there should be limits on it, which there isn't due to today's "perpetual copyright" scam, so I have no problem with people taking what they want free of charge.

Man, you could apply that same "logic" to MANY issues and LAWS...and end up with a VERY dangerous landscape

But that's the point, the actual LAW enforces a 50-year limit in return for copyright enforcement.

It's the studios, mostly Disney, that have paid to "temporarily amend" that law and gain an extra 35-years, to which they have promised to "temporarily amend" it again when that comes up, ad infinitum.

They are the real criminals, as they've made billions off public domain works like The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Aladdin, Mulan, Cinderella, etc. etc. etc., yet refuse to obey the law when their turn came up, not to mention continually scamming that kid's hospital who holds the copyright on Peter Pan.

I like the "idea" that all ideas/intellectual property should be free...

but, with movies or music or whatever... it's not just an idea that's being stolen. It's the produced end result of that idea. Just b/c someone's talents lead them to use tools and spend time creating a product whose content is more important than the package doesn't mean that those people should have less of a right to solely distribute and profit from their work than someone whose talents lead them to create a chair whose packaging is equally as important as the content. (or "idea" of a "chair.")

Sure, I can copy a chair and sell it, but I have to go get the wood, chop it down, and spend the time to actually create a product (albeit a "copy") to sell. It's like buying knock-off perfume or something...

If I want to bootleg an album, I should have to recreate it from the ground up. The idea is free, but the work involved in creating a product out of that idea is not.

BUT, in a world where technology means that rapidly producing flawless duplicates of any and all audiovisual material is child's play, it is a practical impossibility to enforce copyright.

Once copyright law is ended, those people who previously invested time and money into producing a blockbuster movie might have to change their approach, or they might not. Who knows what business models would work in this new environment? One thing is certain, there would still be just as many movies being made with just as much skill, artistry and passion. Personally, I suspect they'd be even better (thumbs u