• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owner of Sarge's Comics sentenced in piracy case

26 posts in this topic

I saw this over at Journalista. According to this article in TheDay.com:

The owner of Sarge's Comic Store in downtown New London was sentenced Thursday in federal court to six months of home confinement and two years of probation for producing and selling pirated DVDs at his store on State Street.

Robert Miller, 47, of Ledyard pleaded guilty in August 2007 to one count of copyright infringement. According to court documents, he sold unauthorized or pirated DVDs to an undercover agent on three occasions between June 2004 and April 2005. Federal agents executed a search warrant at the store in June 27, 2005 and seized at least 778 pirated DVDs and CDs as well as a CD/DVD burner tower that was used to make the unauthorized copies.

The best part are the quotes from the MPAA:

The government's sentencing recommendation included a letter from an attorney for the Motion Picture Association who characterized Miller's operation as a “pirate lab” capable of producing 106 illegal disks per day. Piracy is not a “victimless crime,” the attorney wrote.

”The defendant has stolen from the actors who perform in the movies, the writers and producers who created it, the stuntmen, engineers, camera staff and support staff who produced it - from the manufacturing phase through the entire process of marketing, distribution and eventual sale in the retail market.”

Consumers who buy inferior copies of movies are also victimized, the attorney wrote, as is the government, which loses sales and income taxes.

A "pirate lab!" Oh my. In all seriousness, though, it seems like an awful lot of work to go through for less than $10,000 in damages, considering there are organizations popping out thousands of DVDs a day. Still, illegal is illegal.

The owner of Sarge's Comic Store in downtown New London was sentenced Thursday in federal court to six months of home confinement and two years of probation for producing and selling pirated DVDs at his store on State Street.

Robert Miller, 47, of Ledyard pleaded guilty in August 2007 to one count of copyright infringement. According to court documents, he sold unauthorized or pirated DVDs to an undercover agent on three occasions between June 2004 and April 2005. Federal agents executed a search warrant at the store in June 27, 2005 and seized at least 778 pirated DVDs and CDs as well as a CD/DVD burner tower that was used to make the unauthorized copies.

The government's sentencing recommendation included a letter from an attorney for the Motion Picture Association who characterized Miller's operation as a “pirate lab” capable of producing 106 illegal disks per day. Piracy is not a “victimless crime,” the attorney wrote.

”The defendant has stolen from the actors who perform in the movies, the writers and producers who created it, the stuntmen, engineers, camera staff and support staff who produced it - from the manufacturing phase through the entire process of marketing, distribution and eventual sale in the retail market.”

Consumers who buy inferior copies of movies are also victimized, the attorney wrote, as is the government, which loses sales and income taxes.

A "pirate lab!" Oh my. In all seriousness, though, it seems like an awful lot of work to go through for less than $10,000 in damages, considering there are organizations popping out thousands of DVDs a day. Still, illegal is illegal.

especially when you can go to ovguide.com a site similar to youtube and find anything you want now.

Tell that to the studios, artists, and creative talent, that produce the material. This is a global problem, most egregious over seas. The trademark and piracy laws, are being inforced with MUCH more prejudice than they've ever been previously. I for one am thankful... :golfclap:

I am all for enforcement of copyright laws and combating piracy, but is this really a win for the MPAA? From what little information available in the article, the investigation that led to the conviction began in June of 2004. That was four years ago. Restitution is $9,575. How much did the government spend over the course of those four years?

The real crime is that the movies probably included Roger Corman's "Fantastic Four" and the "Star Wars Christmas Special."

How much did the government spend over the course of those four years?

Not even close to what the MPAA paid to their various in-pocket, studio-shill senators.

I am against piracy, but I'm also against those devils running the MPAA.

Have these people ever been to comic shows? Gray & black market dvd's abound.

I have 4 words for them: Star Wars Holiday Special.

I just wish they could get rid of the bootleg DVD dealers taking away space from comic books at the conventions. Actually, it seemed like there were fewer of these pirates at this year's San Diego Con, so maybe that is a good sign for other shows.

I say make copying legal. Notice my crocodile tears for all the actors and producers out there.

In my view there should be no such thing as Intellectual Property. Property should be defined as physical and protected by law. Ideas, music, images should all be public domain. Problem solved.

That's a bit harsh, but it's probably fair given the stupidity that's going on right now.

When originally granted, exclusive copyright was given IN EXCHANGE for the work moving to public domain 50 years after publishing. That worked initially, and companies like Disney made billions off those public domain works.

But those same companies don't EVER want their own works to hit the public domain, so have taken to paying off various senators and other politicians, getting them to add extensions to their copyrights, which have the effect of a "perpetual copyright" scam that would make the original law makers turn in their graves.

Coincidentally, this all happened right before the first Mickey Mouse cartoons were to fall into public domain.

So, no, I don't feel bad for all those "poor studios", as they seem to have more than enough money to keep 20+ senators in their hip pocket. :whistle:

In my view there should be no such thing as Intellectual Property. Property should be defined as physical and protected by law. Ideas, music, images should all be public domain. Problem solved.

I agree 100% and have often said the same thing (thumbs u

I say make copying legal. Notice my crocodile tears for all the actors and producers out there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ? hm

don't wanna live in that bizzarro world, fo sho! (shrug) and thankfully, NEVER will...THAT ain't never gonna happen folks!!!!!

Tell that to the studios, artists, and creative talent, that produce the material. This is a global problem, most egregious over seas. The trademark and piracy laws, are being inforced with MUCH more prejudice than they've ever been previously. I for one am thankful... :golfclap:

Unless this is a joke, you seriously disgust even me. The MPAA and it's ever expanding pathetic lawsuits aimed at single moms and children should be more than enough to convince you that this is not the proper way to go after people.

How many more times do we need to see SWAT teams going after teenagers who downloaded a Metallica album to convince there needs to be a very real change in trademark laws? It's hilarious how much the RIAA and MPAA will spend to go after you or me but ask them to go after the real source, "pirates" (arr!) who chug out millions in copied discs and filter that money through corporate banks to support organized crime and suddenly they are too busy or "not enough evidence" to go after these crooks.

Nevermind that, I applaud this action, I can't wait for the next story of Grandma Joe being led away in handcuffs surrounded by men with weapons bigger then they are who will simply pilfer the evidence as their own.

Congrats ! :golfclap:meh

Unless this is a joke, you seriously disgust even me. The MPAA and it's ever expanding pathetic lawsuits aimed at single moms and children should be more than enough to convince you that this is not the proper way to go after people.

How many more times do we need to see SWAT teams going after teenagers who downloaded a Metallica album to convince there needs to be a very real change in trademark laws? It's hilarious how much the RIAA and MPAA will spend to go after you or me but ask them to go after the real source, "pirates" (arr!) who chug out millions in copied discs and filter that money through corporate banks to support organized crime and suddenly they are too busy or "not enough evidence" to go after these crooks.

Nevermind that, I applaud this action, I can't wait for the next story of Grandma Joe being led away in handcuffs surrounded by men with weapons bigger then they are who will simply pilfer the evidence as their own.

Congrats ! :golfclap:meh

You mean, people breaking the LAW?????? are you an anarchist? otherwise, we are a nation of LAWS!!!!! you, me, and GRANDMA...have to abide by them. Then again, YOU may like anarchy and lawlessness, given your post doh!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ? hm

don't wanna live in that bizzarro world, fo sho! (shrug) and thankfully, NEVER will...THAT ain't never gonna happen folks!!!!!

Hi. It wouldn't be stealing if it wasn't illegal would it?

Do you believe that if music was legally recorded and copied and broadcast with no payment going to the musician (let alone label), that nobody would make music anymore? lol

The same goes for cinema, computer games, books, you name it. The landscape would change dramatically, but we would still have those things. Probably of a much higher quality and diversity too. You just need to think things through rather than giving it the old knee-jerk.

As for chumps making money off YOUR creativity... well, there'd be no market for pirated goods either, since they'd be freely available. The type of sleazes who make money from piracy would be out of work.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, SO...my intellectual creativity, and talent, should have ZERO legal protection from chumps that had ZERO talent to create it themselves, and instead STEAL it for their own/ or mass use ?

No, but there should be limits on it, which there isn't due to today's "perpetual copyright" scam, so I have no problem with people taking what they want free of charge.