• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #99 sells for $7000

88 posts in this topic

I agree. The owners of RIM held a Christmas party this past year. It was at the ACC center in Toronto and they invited Van Halen to perform. Why not?

(thumbs u

uh, don't you mean RIMM who designs the software for the crackberry phones? hm

Research In Motion. RIM....no?

http://www.rim.com/

(shrug)

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing.

But one seller artificially bumping up prices to sell on consignment to one buyer does NOT a market make.

If that book had been pushed to $7K in open auction, it would be a different story.

I'm not debating that one sale certainly doesn't create a market for the book (either positively or negatively). I'm simply arguing that you can't call the price or the sale "unreasonable" per se. I think reasonable is relative to the person buying the book. What is reasonable to you or I is not necessarily the same for someone in Brulato's collecting realm. I wonder what Ghost Town or Schmell would think of this record price?

If you compare it to some of the ASM prices realized in the recent ComicLink auctions (ASM 31, 37, 50, 60, 69, etc.), I don’t think the price is all that crazy or unique. With the exception of the 31, the C-Link books weren’t even one of a kind. There are multiple people that are driving these ASM prices.

I totally agree. When people not active in this collecting realm make observations about the reasonableness or unreasonableness of the price, I think it's important to have input from those who are actively buying or seeking out these books. Is it a large sum to pay for the only 9.8 ASM 99? Maybe... but again, in the all the years this supposedly common book (and like many spideys, common yes, common in 9.8 no) has been submitted, this is the first 9.8.

As true as this statement may be, REASON should be part of any logical point, decision, or discussion. Certainly anyone can, and WILL, spend whatever they wish, ON whatever they wish, if they ...wish :insane: but that's simply freewill. To be petulant just because you can, is just dealing from emotion, NOT logic, right?...here is of course a dissputatious example, but what the fark:

asm99.jpg

This is my copy, I want someone to examine, and explain, to me where that $7,000.00 #99 9.8 is $6,950.00 BETTER than this copy? (I paid $50.00 for this RAW back in 1985 :acclaim: ) THIS is the crux of MY contention, and i'm sure a few others hm

Come on. I suppose you throw your arms up at the 'madness' when you hear some rich bozo paid $10,000,000 to have the Rolling Stones play at his 5yr old daughter's birthday party too.

If people have the money and want to indulge their little hobby of pursuing the 'world's greatest graded Spidey set', then that's what it costs to beat the three of four other super-wealthy geeks* in the world. I don't have a problem with that. If I was rich, I'd probably do the same.

*not an offensive term (thumbs u

I agree. The owners of RIM held a Christmas party this past year. It was at the ACC center in Toronto and they invited Van Halen to perform. Why not?

Anyone that balks at spending $7000 on this book is a hyprocrite if they wear any silver, gold, jewlery, a suit that costs more than $100 or spends anything more than bargain price on anything they own.

My point is not to insult anyone. My point is that most people will spend [reasonably] within their means. When a $350 9.4 is expensive to me, that doesn't mean that $7000 is expensive to someone else who has 10 or 20 times the income that I have.

It's like I always say...a person can only see as far as his perspective will let him or her. Some people just have a different perspective so how can I understand the value they see in a product when it is a significant portion of my annual wage? I can't.

It's called economy and it makes the world go round. It brings competition to the market, a sale like this will bring more copies to the market, it will create a buzz....I don't see anything negative about it except that maybe the guy may not get $7000 if he tries to resell...but then if he can afford to take the hit, who cares?

I work in a hi end auto business. I see people return cars after 6 months and take a $50,000 hit without flinching...just beacuse they are bored. I can't understand it but then hey, I don't need to...it keeps me in business.

(thumbs u

Gosh darn , ...you are purty smart thare , boy !! .......................... :applause:

Eight to ten.

:roflmao:

More? or less? (shrug)

I think more.

Same here. (thumbs u

Yup. $12,000-15,000 if advertised properly.

R.

You mean like on Comiclink? lol

Not really...just the right exposure (or the right buyers of which you have a better chance of finding with the right exposure).

You're funny.

:baiting:

I want someone to examine, and explain, to me where that $7,000.00 #99 9.8 is $6,950.00 BETTER than this copy? (I paid $50.00 for this RAW back in 1985 :acclaim: ) THIS is the crux of MY contention, and i'm sure a few others hm

1) They bought their copy 23 years later than you did. The market has changed a little.

2) They bought their copy slabbed. You bought yours raw.

3) Their copy is a 9.8. Yours is a 9.4.

Should I keep going? Perhaps you should bring up apples, when that's what is being discussed.

:whatev:

YES, you should keep going, you have not answered my query in the least? It's apples to apples, CLEARLY...same book (duh) a HALF grade? an OPINION of people grading paper? for $6,950.00 MORE??? no, please, keep going...i'm trying to ascertain what your post intended?

As for the 23 years?...fine, find a CGC 9.4 for what? $300.00-$350.00? so $6,700.00 better?

I don't think so in a trillion years. Madness is madness, regardless of an opinion.

To think my impression of you was that you were a doofus. I sold you way short, man.

Ouch, coming from an intelligent source like you, that truly hurts :cry:

my day, ruined

I want someone to examine, and explain, to me where that $7,000.00 #99 9.8 is $6,950.00 BETTER than this copy? (I paid $50.00 for this RAW back in 1985 :acclaim: ) THIS is the crux of MY contention, and i'm sure a few others hm

1) They bought their copy 23 years later than you did. The market has changed a little.

2) They bought their copy slabbed. You bought yours raw.

3) Their copy is a 9.8. Yours is a 9.4.

Should I keep going? Perhaps you should bring up apples, when that's what is being discussed.

:whatev:

YES, you should keep going, you have not answered my query in the least? It's apples to apples, CLEARLY...same book (duh) a HALF grade? an OPINION of people grading paper? for $6,950.00 MORE??? no, please, keep going...i'm trying to ascertain what your post intended?

As for the 23 years?...fine, find a CGC 9.4 for what? $300.00-$350.00? so $6,700.00 better?

I don't think so in a trillion years. Madness is madness, regardless of an opinion.

If you paid $50 for that book in 1985, I think you paid a very steep price for it that back then. And if you don't value "an OPINION of people grading paper," why did you pay to have it slabbed?

It's also interesting that you're using a book that you purchased raw as an example of your relative sanity. Because the guy who bought the 9.8 ASM #99 book also bought the majority of his Spideys raw long before the advent of CGC. And a lot those books have since been graded as the top census copies. And he's into those books at a miniscule fraction of their current value. So if that's madness, where do I sign up?