• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 CGC 2.0 on ebay

47 posts in this topic

Trimming is what people seem to avoid more than anything else, why is that?

I do not mind most restored books. I adjust my price because the market does not like them, but I am typically happy to get books I want in better condition than I can otherwise afford becuase of things like a dab of color touch or a tear seal. Most of these alterations do not take away from the existing book, but make it look better, while sometimes even preserving integrity of what was there before (like tear seals or reinforcement).

This is even true to me as to pieces being added. While this is less desirable to me than certain other alterations (especially because it is not always clear how much was added), at least it is not taking away from the existing book while making it look better. In the end, you get a whole book that looks good.

Trimming is different. That is a process of taking away from the book to make it look marginally better (until a new nick, bump or scrape appears on the trimmed edge). In the end, you have a slightly less complete book (that can never be made complete), for little gain. I have more trouble with that than most other alterations.

Finally, in the days before cgc, trimming was practiced most often by scammers who wanted to make a book look better so they could sell it to a sucker with little risk of someone knowing they were buying an altered book.

I bet there are few of us who collected in the pre-cgc days who have not been the victim of this scam. It is hard to find out that that Hulk 3 you bought as a kid was trimmed without growing to dislike trimmed books. It taints the memory of the book, and the joy you felt getting it.

That being said, if I could get a Tec 27, trimmed (and disclosed as trimmed) for a bargain price ... hm

IMO trimming is not a bad as some people make it out to be. For sure the biggest reason people hate it is because of the amount of deception used to hide trimming. In the end I would rather have a trimmed book than a book with pieces replaced.

R.

IMO trimming is not a bad as some people make it out to be. For sure the biggest reason people hate it is because of the amount of deception used to hide trimming. In the end I would rather have a trimmed book than a book with pieces replaced.

R.

I feel the same way. In fact, my personal stance is that I don't really mind minor alterations as long as nothing has been added to the book. A micro-trim doesn't bother me much at all, nor do cleaned staples or a cover that has been dry cleaned. However, I have virtually no interest in books that have pieces added.

Silver Age Comics won an auction for my Night Nurse #1 CGC 6.0 over a week ago and hasn't paid yet. I just filed an "Unpaid Item" with eBay.

Out of curiosity, if he does end up paying:

- anyone have any experiences with him as a buyer?

- recommended steps I should take on shipment to ensure I don't get shafted in some way e.g. he receives, then claims non-receipt and files for refund?

Thanks.