• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Hulk #181, Giant-Size X-Men #1

20 posts in this topic

I'm sure you folks are sick to death of these particular two issues, but I recently joined the CGC and am planning to get some books slabbed. I'm wondering if these two would be worthwhile in their condition...First is Incredible Hulk #181. Cover is bright & glossy, with light/moderate spine creasing and what looks like abrasion along black arrow on left, and also left bottom. No tears. Interior is off white, possibly cream. No interior tears & value stamp is present.PhotobucketPhotobucket Next is Giant-Size X-Men #1. Again, bright, glossy cover. No real breaks in the spine; the black line that runs down it is intact. It is somehow 'rippled' a bit though, I have no idea why. It's very minor except where the staples are; for some reason the staples aren't centered and you can see the outline of them under the cover (and feel them too). I'm really hoping this doesn't mean some fool tried to repair it at some point in the past, but that may be the case. =( Wasn't me, though! Interior pages are also supple, and off-white/cream (not really sure where the dividing line between those two are). I noticed the scans seem to show the cover getting darker from left to right; I think that's my scanner, because I can't see it with the naked eye.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I've had these comics since I was a kid. I wasn't collecting when they came out, but I did get them pretty cheap from mailing an order to Mile-High. I think I spent $15 on the Hulk #181 back then, which I thought was a lot of money. If I only I knew then what I know now! =)

Anyone? Please? I just would appreciate a ballpark of what you think CGC would grade these as. I haven't yet sent in a raw book to CGC, but I have a few I purchased that to my untrained eye, look to be a much higher grade than what CGC assigned. I'll throw up a scan of my Hulk #102 that got a 7.0 later when I get my scanner able to capture a good shot of a CGC holder.

I'll get right on those...here's that Hulk #102 I mentioned earlier. The ghosting along the top is a reflection from the case, btw. The page color is graded as "off white to white pages". It seems like this is better than a 7.0, but as I said, I'm new at CGC grading.

Photobucket

I'll get right on re-scanning those other comics!

OK, here are the re-scans; I put a contrasting BG to better show the edges. As I said, I'm still new at this and any input is much appreciated!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope this X-Men is higher than a 5.0, it looks really nice 'in-hand'. However looking at it enlarged via scanner, I can see how the spine is a bit wonky.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Again, any and all input is welcomed, especially statements of exactly what's wrong (so I know what to look for). It won't break my heart; I didn't buy these from Ebay. I've had 'em since I was a sprout, close to 25 years now.

Thanks for the input. So CGC does grade different ages differently, then? I ask because, for example, the FF #25 listed just above mine looks to be in much worse condition than either of the two I've listed, but is graded higher. Not a slam on the other fellow's book by any means, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the welcome, I plan to be around for years to come. =)

181..4.5, GS 5.5...where did ya get the 181? I'm still in the market for one myself...

I bought it from Mile-High comics for $15 via mail about 25 years ago. :grin: Same thing with the GSM.

Maybe this question got lost amid the replies, but do ages get graded differently? I mentioned someone else's SA FF #25 also in this forum, which was being graded higher than either of mine in this topic, yet seemed to look more bedraggled. I'm sorry if this is a dumb 'general knowledge' question, but I honestly don't know.

GA books will be graded a bit more softly due to the age of the book. DC books seem to be hit though. They were printed much better than Marvels as a whole in general. Some books like AF 15 are given what most believe is a "Key Book" bump as well. Books from the late 60's to know, with some exceptions are graded pretty well the same. 70s,80s, 90s are pretty much graded the same. Certain books will be graded a bit softer. Or so it seems among most collectors...

Thanks for your input. I've learned a lot from this thread, and the forum in general in the mere week since I've joined CGC (I lurk a lot). The info I've gathered in the last week alone makes the CGC membership cost worthwhile, even if I never submit a book for slabbing.

Here's yet another question, though...the two comics in this thread, does anyone think it would be worthwhile to have them pressed? The Hulk #181 is an 'iffy' prospect at best, but I think the GSX-Men would benefit. Again, I'm new to this, so bear with me, please. :blush: On the GSX-Men #1, I think a pressing by Classics Inc. might help....I doubt it would hurt. I'm against restoration as a rule, but pressing sounds like a no harm/no foul way to dress up a book.

At any rate, once I have them pressed/CGC'd, I'll post the results in this thread, if that's OK.

The GSXM 1 is a square bound book. Glue is used to help keep the book together. I would tend to not want to press this type of book. This is why the BC looks the way it does.. You could always ask Matt at Classics... But I would leave the book alone... A lot of people consider pressing restoration. I am one of those people.

When you are doing something to enhance the book. Or bring it back to it's former glory. I would tend to call that restoration. One of the reasons some don't feel it is restoration is this. If done well by a professional. You cant tell it was done. Not 100% of the time anyway. I find this to be a very thin excuse... Just because you cant tell if it was done?? Doesn't make any sense to me at all. It's like saying you re chromed a classic cars bumpers. If done well most wont be able to tell. But it has still been enhanced or brought back to it's original state. The car has been restored. The same thing goes for a comic book. Pressing is restoration by definition..... A Very nice 9.2 can be pressed into a 9.6.. Depending on the book. It can translate into thousands of dollars.... For the cost of apprx. $50 -100!!! If a book has been pressed. It should be a known fact to a possible new buyer..

Disclose the work and let the buyer decide from there...

The GSXM 1 is a square bound book. Glue is used to help keep the book together. I would tend to not want to press this type of book. This is why the BC looks the way it does.. You could always ask Matt at Classics.

I did ask Matt at Classics. He said he gets many copies of this issue every month, and presses them with no problem. As far as what TFL said, I disagree with his equating pressing with re-chroming a classic car. I drive an '87 Porsche, and if there had been extensive bodywork done on it, yeah, I'd want to know. If the previous owner washed and waxed it, I would chalk that up as maintenance. Which is, at best, what pressing is.

Pressing adds nothing to the equation. It doesn't alter the book, it doesn't introduce chemicals or paint. Nothing has been added. It just removes a-hole mistakes, such as an owner's leaving the book in a humid environment, or sitting on it. It's still the same book, just without your butt imprint.