• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment

47 posts in this topic

As FD stated, if you want to work a little for it, results will very.

Here is a small sample of 10 books I bought raw for just under 1k, and the CGC result on the right. Granted not every result will be a positive one but 7 out off the 10 books I saw in person before purchasing. The other 3 from trusted forumites right here on the boards.

1. X-Men 101 - now CGC 9.6

2. Wonder Woman 199 - now CGC 9.6

3. Thor 199 - yes a nothing special BA book purchased for $10 - now CGC 9.8

4. Avengers 95 - now CGC 9.6

5. Avengers 110 - now CGC 9.4

6. Batman 251 - from a boardie for $50 - now CGC 9.6

7. Conan 5 - a whopping $26.00 - now CGC 9.6

8. Daredevil 30 - from a very trusted Dealer - now CGC 9.4

9. Hulk 180 - now CGC 9.4

10. Amazing Spider-Man 36 - from a reputable boardie - now CGC 9.4

Like I said not everything is positive, and results will very, but if you have a chance to do some running around and search, good things usually follow. (thumbs u

Nik, again...you have years of grading experience, networking with forumites and some plain luck. Not everyone has those things.

You are the exception, not the rule.

(thumbs u

R.

Go to the biggest best comic show near you and buy all the 25 - 35 cent cover price books you can find in 9.4 or better raw, focusing on the mainstream Marvel titles and Batman titles. For 1000.00, you should be able to buy something like 100 - 200 books which will be worth 50 - 300 each in 5 years(depending upon how good at grading and searching you are).

Dale, stop giving away our secrets.

Go to the biggest best comic show near you and buy all the 25 - 35 cent cover price books you can find in 9.4 or better raw, focusing on the mainstream Marvel titles and Batman titles. For 1000.00, you should be able to buy something like 100 - 200 books which will be worth 50 - 300 each in 5 years(depending upon how good at grading and searching you are).

I think I will experiment with this at a smaller investment at first(got a few shows coming up in my area). I also see you mention Batman but no Superman. any reason why?

I ask how much work are you willing to put in, because if you're willing to work, you can turn that $1000 into at least $5K in 12 months.

If you don't want to work, and just buy and hold, buy whatever grade complete Amazing Fantasy 15 you can find for a grand. Don't buy slabbed.

-- In anticipation of the obligatory bleating, I know his time is worth something. That's why I asked how much work he's willing to do.

Ahhhh, the Flying Donut method.

I think I will experiment with this at a smaller investment at first(got a few shows coming up in my area). I also see you mention Batman but no Superman. any reason why?

_________

BA Supermen, unless they have a Neal Adams cover or are otherwise "special", are slow movers.

Jeez, I don't know why I gave that one away.

BA Batman and Detective, even without an Adams or Wrightson or Kaluta cover, can do alright. I think they have more people trying to fill in runs. Heck, there is simply a lot more decent material in Batman and Detectiev from the 70s than Superman or Action.

Supes had about a 60 year stretch of corny stories that will turn your stomach. Plus his rogue's gallery is comical.

Even so, Batman has always been second fiddle to Supes. I have no idea why because his character and stories have always been much more entertaining.