• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WWTX is looking pretty dull

13 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same reaction to WWTX 08 that I am. I was really excited to go this year, but have been completely underwhelmed by the guest list as compared to last year... and now they are trying to make it better by folding in the FearFest Con also. What the hell is this? :censored:

I have money to spend, books to get signed/graded, and sketches to get... and they are adding D-list horror movie actors?!? It really does seem like Wizard doesn't give two F's about those of us in Texas and is just trying to make a quick buck.

rantrant

I'm still surprised they keep having this show. It's at the end of the season and they keep sending the same old people year after year. In fact most of the people on the list are being brought in by retailers like Splash Page. meh

I had hotel and everything planned for this show and then ....BAM !!

Pulled out.. when I found out ASPEN - TOPCOW - & some others I enjoy reading ARE NOT going to attend, As well as all the wrestling people who are going. I like comic books NOT washed up wrestling star's OH!! and Lou CAN'T STAND lou ..

I'll hold my money and add to it for next year in CHICAGO !!!! :banana:

Yah, but LA is at least only a two hour hop to San Diego. There are other major cons that go on in CA, but this is the only MAJOR con in Texas.

Plus, they keep giving announcements like the folding in of FearFest, like its supposed to be some great bonus, at the exact same time they make announcements like Stan Lee at WWLA and Garth Ennis at WWChicago next year.

I'm just kind of bummed by the whole thing.

I'm going simply to turn-in books for grading, re-grading, and re-slabbing. I can only be there on that Friday though. How fast can CGC be with about 30 moderns? I'll probably just have them send me the books later but I'm wondering if it's possible to get everything done that day. (shrug)

Dallas used to have a great convention with the Fantasy Fair years ago. I went to Wizard World Texas one year and was completely underwhelmed. You can do that convention in 1 day, and you have 3. I think you're going to see more guests be announced in the weeks before the show.

But, I will agree, of the four shows, Texas is their weakest, with LA trying to approach it for some strange reason. There used to be a * by the 2009 Texas show as Tentative, I don't see that * currently. I think it depends on how many years Wizard committed to the Arlington Convention Center to have a con, and what Wizard's plans are for conventions in general.

I have met the newer guys doing Wizard conventions, and I genuinely believe they are trying to make the shows better. I am not sure if they can rescue this Texas show, though. I may come into town, only because I have family and friends in Dallas and this show would make the trip a business expense.

Look at it this way - if it's a bad show, there should be short lines for the people who do attend. If Cassaday is bored, I'd keep him busy drawing all day, but that's just me. :)

Joel