• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, how much is the Marvel Horror Bronze Age worth?

23 posts in this topic

Now, I'm not selling for quite some time, but what do you think(I will sell this someday)it's worth?

Werewolf by Night 1-43, Marvel Spotlight 2-4, Giant Size 1-5, w/ all keys.

Tomb of Dracula 1-70, Giant Size 1-5, w/ all keys

Ghost Rider 1-81, Marvel Spotlight 5-11, w/ all keys

Man-Thing 1-22, Fear 10-19, Giant Size 1-5, w/ all keys

Monster of Frankenstein 1-18, w/ all keys

All books are HG w/ every book being 7.0 or better. Just an idea I had to collect the entire Marvel Bronze Horror Age and then sit on it. I will not break it up, so the eventual buyer will have to purchase the entire collection.

Are you looking for a valuation on the whole collection now or an idea of future appreciation?

Condition is vital for either guesstimate, it is almost impossible to put a figure on the collection when you just throw out, 'they are all 7.0 or better'. There is a huge value difference between a 7.0 and a 9.4+. 893whatthe.gif

Scan the keys, and lets take a look.

No matter where you go on the net, at every message board there is always a s*m*a*r*t a*s*s lurking in the shadows. Now, to answer your question, already succesful at my real job (general contractor), so selling is not a must-so say 20-25 years-happy now?

currincomics-

I can't speak for anyone else here, but it was useful that you gave a general time frame. Maybe some of the other posters would have a better perspective on a long term outlook on this genre of books. It seems to me that demand for these has definitely been on the rise, but I wouldn't speculate personally if it's near reaching the peak or not. BTW, from this and your other posts, it sounds like you have one nice collection put together. thumbsup2.gif

Did you buy more of these books recently, or did you have a large stash from when you were younger?

Also, are all the books you mentioned raw? Obviously, if those keys were very HG copies, it may be worth the time and money getting them slabbed. But, then if you did get them slabbed, you might be better off selling them sooner rather than later. But, you're going to hold on to these for a long time, so maybe you can disregard what I just said. I was just thinking out loud (or in print, anyway).... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A combination of both, some of my "off the racks" are in the collection, and I have also traded out some books from other parts of my collection to upgrade the aforementioned collection. I also have a short box of keys that include WBN 32 and TOD 10 that I intend on getting slabbed. I also have a CGC short box with a WBN 32 @ 9.2, Marvel Spotlight 2 @ 7.0 and a Swamp Thing vol.1 #1 @ 9.0. My intentions is to sell the Marvel Bronze Horror Age as raw. The way I see it, if someone does'nt meet my price I'll just wait or leave it to my kids. It was something I just wanted to put together-so I did.

So, you have dupes of some, like the WBN 32, right? It might not be a bad idea to test the waters on some of the duplicate keys you have. At least you still have one of every book, anyway. It's nice to hear about someone who would like to save their collection for their kids. I was recently thinking about selling just about all of my books (not a really extensive collection, anyway), but the more I think about it, the sentimental value for myself, and hopefully my children outweighs what I could get for the books, at least right now, anyway.

All books are HG w/ every book being 7.0 or better

Not to be a smart $$$, but 7.0 is not HG regarding Bronze-Age books.

In general, many of the non-key books aren't worth more than a $1-2 in less than VF/NM, regardless of what Overstreet or Wizard Guide might say.

True high-grade for Bronze books is probably NM-(9.2) or higher.

Obviously, keys will sell well in almost any grade if priced correctly, but common issues are almost reader copies in below VF/NM.

All books are HG w/ every book being 7.0 or better

Not to be a smart $$$, but 7.0 is not HG regarding Bronze-Age books.

In general, many of the non-key books aren't worth more than a $1-2 in less than VF/NM, regardless of what Overstreet or Wizard Guide might say.

True high-grade for Bronze books is probably NM-(9.2) or higher.

Obviously, keys will sell well in almost any grade if priced correctly, but common issues are almost reader copies in below VF/NM.

Good point. That's what I've noticed as well, as I've seen a lot of these books for sale for a buck or two, even in F to VF condition. It just seems like there are so many of these books still out there. But as a complete run, wouldn't these books possibly have a slightly higher value, as someone may want a complete run, without scrambling around for all these issues?

I agree, that is why I will not break it up. Being able to purchase the entire Marvel Bronze Age Horror collection will appeal to someone in the future. All those great stories and art in one clean swoop-I think it will sell....eventually.

personally i have never found huge groups to do very well. At the least it should be broken down into title, but to be honest if the grades range from 7.0-9.4 it appeals to 2 different types of collectors, neither of which will pay what they would otherwise to get books they don't want. For instance the high grade guys won't buy a collection with 7.0's and the low grade guys won't pony up the $$$ to purchase them knowing they can get all 7.0's for cheap. When i have large group i break into like condition & do much better.

at every message board there is always a s*m*a*r*t a*s*s lurking in the shadows.

Shadows? I've been in the light for a looooooooong time. angel.gif

So after the smartass question you're not even going to offer up an answer? 893blahblah.gif

I'm a high-grade collector. I have NO interest in purchasing a Group of books that grade between FN/VF to NM (especially from the Bronze-Age). Would I consider purchasing a Group that graded between VF/NM to NM, sure.