• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At what point does the signature devalue the comic? (AF #15)

56 posts in this topic

I am not a big fan of any writing on a book and feel that as soon as any signature is applied to the cover it devalues it. Its astonishes me how the signature series cgc books get 9.8. If anything they should be labeled as apparent 9.8 because it has been defaced. No way a book is mint with a signature regardless of who it is since it is not in its original state anymore. Maybe the signature series label implies this though. However, there is value in some signatures and it is up to the individual buying to evaluate if it is worth paying the price for a signed book that has been defaced.

Its astonishes me how the signature series cgc books get 9.8. If anything they should be labeled as apparent 9.8 because it has been defaced.

Defaced is harsh, I prefer autographed, but what do you think SS is?

Signature Series = a qualified grade with a Witnessed autograph. The book is graded as if the autograph was not there.

Its astonishes me how the signature series cgc books get 9.8. If anything they should be labeled as apparent 9.8 because it has been defaced.

Defaced is harsh, I prefer autographed, but what do you think SS is?

Signature Series = a qualified grade with a Witnessed autograph. The book is graded as if the autograph was not there.

I guess saying defaced is a bit harsh lol .

I am just not a big fan of the signature series and prefer my books as unmarked as possible. I think some peope are nuts since I have read some of the threads in the signature series area and theres people that have 10.0's slabbed with signatures. I personally would have prefered to keep the book 10.0 and with a blue label and no signatures. But in the end what it amounts to is what the collector wants to do with his books so he can get enjoyment out of them.

I think another aspect that must be looked at is how prevalent are the particular person's autographs? The newer guys all sit down and sign hundreds of books for Wizard or whoever. It's almost as if there are more high grade signature books than non-signature books. At some point I think it's detrimental to have a signature if everyone has that book. But if we are talking rarity? Say you have a 9.0 AF 15, blue label, and I have a 9.0 AF 15, yellow label with Stan and Steve's signatures? Which one is more rare? I might have the only signed AF 15 in existence. That will most definitely drive the price up regardless. It's not like you got Barry Bonds or Michael Jordan to sign it (THAT would be an improper defacement.) It's Stan freaking Lee and Steve Ditko for gawd sakes. (Don't even get me started if you have something signed by Kirby!)

I have a Groo #1 that I got at a Con back in the 90's. I was walking through the floor and I said, "holy that's Sergio Aragones." I immediately went and picked up the Groo #1 and ran it over there. (This is back in the day, 1990-ish, before they had big to-do's about artist signings and the like.) I asked very politely if he would mind signing my book. He gave me a big smile and said, "absolutely!" After he signed it he started to draw a little self portrait doodle and I about wet myself. I was thinking that is the most awesome thing ever. Then he looks up to me and says, "you know, Tom and Stan are here? Here, here, wait...come with me." He then stands up and starts looking around. "Ah, yes, come, come." And he starts walking away behind the tables. I'm like, ", where is this crazy Spaniard going with my book?!" So he walks over and hands the book to Tom Luth. Tom looks at the signature and the doodle and laughs. He then signs it and draws a caricature of himself as well. Awesome. Then Sergio picks it up again and he's off walking behind the tables again. He sets it down in front of Stan Sakai. Stan looks, laughs, signs it, draws a doodle and Sergio hands it back to me. I was in absolute awe. No yellow label, no "authentication" of the signatures, but there is no way in hell that you are going to convince me that THAT book isn't worth more than a regular ol' Groo #1.

I think another aspect that must be looked at is how prevalent are the particular person's autographs? The newer guys all sit down and sign hundreds of books for Wizard or whoever. It's almost as if there are more high grade signature books than non-signature books. At some point I think it's detrimental to have a signature if everyone has that book. But if we are talking rarity? Say you have a 9.0 AF 15, blue label, and I have a 9.0 AF 15, yellow label with Stan and Steve's signatures? Which one is more rare? I might have the only signed AF 15 in existence. That will most definitely drive the price up regardless. It's not like you got Barry Bonds or Michael Jordan to sign it (THAT would be an improper defacement.) It's Stan freaking Lee and Steve Ditko for gawd sakes. (Don't even get me started if you have something signed by Kirby!)

I have a Groo #1 that I got at a Con back in the 90's. I was walking through the floor and I said, "holy that's Sergio Aragones." I immediately went and picked up the Groo #1 and ran it over there. (This is back in the day, 1990-ish, before they had big to-do's about artist signings and the like.) I asked very politely if he would mind signing my book. He gave me a big smile and said, "absolutely!" After he signed it he started to draw a little self portrait doodle and I about wet myself. I was thinking that is the most awesome thing ever. Then he looks up to me and says, "you know, Tom and Stan are here? Here, here, wait...come with me." He then stands up and starts looking around. "Ah, yes, come, come." And he starts walking away behind the tables. I'm like, ", where is this crazy Spaniard going with my book?!" So he walks over and hands the book to Tom Luth. Tom looks at the signature and the doodle and laughs. He then signs it and draws a caricature of himself as well. Awesome. Then Sergio picks it up again and he's off walking behind the tables again. He sets it down in front of Stan Sakai. Stan looks, laughs, signs it, draws a doodle and Sergio hands it back to me. I was in absolute awe. No yellow label, no "authentication" of the signatures, but there is no way in hell that you are going to convince me that THAT book isn't worth more than a regular ol' Groo #1.

great story! pix? :popcorn:

:applause:

I was a big Groo fan back then. I would love to have a book like the one you just described!

:applause:

I was a big Groo fan back then. I would love to have a book like the one you just described!

I'm still a big Groo fan, therefore, I err. I'd LOVE to have a book and story like that!

One of these days, when i sell all my books, the Duck books, the Groo's and the Nexus will remain (along with a few others.)

I mean, there's a collection, and then there's non-negotiables.

:o

I guess we know how much Stan's signature is worth now... This book ended up going for $22,000. That's $6,500 more than the blue-label 6.0 that sold last month!!!

Yeah but that's just because that's how much AF#15 goes up in a month :grin:

Stan Lee's signature is worth about $50, absolute tops.