• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY BOOK OF THE DAY

91 posts in this topic

I hope it's just not me, but I don't really understand the appeal of some undergorund comics, like the Zap comics for example. While I can appreciate a high grade copy, the art/stories are nothing special. That being said, I do find most of Crumb's work funny in a satirical way, I still don't find the books as a whole interesting. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's all got something to do with Bob Dylan... but I'm just not sure how.

I hope it's just not me, but I don't really understand the appeal of some undergorund comics, like the Zap comics for example. While I can appreciate a high grade copy, the art/stories are nothing special. That being said, I do find most of Crumb's work funny in a satirical way, I still don't find the books as a whole interesting. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's all got something to do with Bob Dylan... but I'm just not sure how.

Damn that Bob Dylan, he's always invloved!! 893frustrated.gif

I hope it's just not me, but I don't really understand the appeal of some undergorund comics, like the Zap comics for example. While I can appreciate a high grade copy, the art/stories are nothing special. That being said, I do find most of Crumb's work funny in a satirical way, I still don't find the books as a whole interesting.

I could write a reply that would quickly earn me my old custom title back; instead, I will outline a few reasons I collect undergrounds: i) they mark an important chapter in the history of not only comics, but American pop-culture and history; ii) I enjoy collecting obscure items; iii) I dig the free-form expression -- these artists didn't let the comics code tell them what they could or couldn't draw/write. I guess its part of the whole anti-establishment/counter-culture mystique; iv) because when they were printed, people were told they couldn't have 'em, buy 'em, and a great number of 'em were confiscated by the feds -- and that didn't stop the field of independent publishers from doing what they thought was important work. thumbsup2.gif

Great points, however I don't see the fascination with them. I can see the importance of them as a whole in the context of what they represent. What I don't understand is looking at the cover of one and admiring it. There is nothing special about the art/stories from my point of view. There was nothing groundbreaking in what they did, just in the form they did it in.

i) they mark an important chapter in the history of not only comics, but American pop-culture and history; ii) I enjoy collecting obscure items; iii) I dig the free-form expression -- these artists didn't let the comics code tell them what they could or couldn't draw/write. I guess its part of the whole anti-establishment/counter-culture mystique; iv) because when they were printed, people were told they couldn't have 'em, buy 'em, and a great number of 'em were confiscated by the feds -- and that didn't stop the field of independent publishers from doing what they thought was important work. thumbsup2.gif

Are you talking about underground comics, or Bob Dylan albums? stooges.gif

Great points, however I don't see the fascination with them. I can see the importance of them as a whole in the context of what they represent. What I don't understand is looking at the cover of one and admiring it. There is nothing special about the art/stories from my point of view. There was nothing groundbreaking in what they did, just in the form they did it in.

I guess the best example I can use to illustrate your point and mine; I stopped watching hollywood films that use the "hollywood formula." A formula used primarely to bolster high ticket sales, major hype -- and with it, plenty of disappointment. So I usually pick independent films. Not the kind of stuff that everyone likes, and certainly not the kind of films that get the big-budget filming/marketing dollars.

On a similar level, my appeal to undergrounds is that they didn't hold anything back. And often, that meant going against convention, establishment and rank and file. Remember, these were not books that had high distribution numbers, or needed to corral interest by building-up readership with dazzling covers -- they didn't use the same tricks the mainstream used. Simplistic, perhaps. But simple ought not be confused with dull or ordinary, because these books were far from being that.

Are you talking about underground comics, or Bob Dylan albums? stooges.gif

Unfortunately, Dylan is not high on my list of appreciated musical repetoire. sorry.gif

I can't stand the guy either... but his "appeal" is very similar

to the "appeal" of underground comics... which explains why

some people love them, and others couldn't give a...

1068914529031_st80.jpg

That's a FABULOUS book and one of my favorite covers of all time.

I'm jealous.

I'll give you $50 for it.

Wow...I have a book that makes you envious? That's a switch. 893whatthe.gif

Sure..$50 and your FF # 16. wink.gif

You can always find another one of those in 9.6 tongue.gif

Well,

I would like to put my 2 cents in. This is one of my all time favorite covers. I have attached the link since its a "little" bigger then allowed. I had this book when I was kid, I guess its the scifi that attracted me.

Thanks for looking!

www.brotherselectronics.com/Steve/showcase60.JPG

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! are you stalking me????? smile.gif. I removed all the nice books out of there so no one can "look". The fury 1 came from 1 of 2 people years ago. I sold 1 copy that I think was an 8.5 awhile ago. I had purchased both copies within a couple of months of each other. Both advertised in the NM range by reputable people.

Steve