• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to learn to grade?

27 posts in this topic

I want to learn to grade so I can pick and choose which books to send to CGC, or even if I don't do that, to better my chances of picking up nice books when I'm out and about at comic shops.

So where do I start? I already own and use the Overstreet grading book, but looking at those examples and reading up on the various types of bumps and bruises that can degrade isn't exactly an end all tool. At the same time, I don't have any friends who collect and my local comic shops don't employ anyone with grading skills. (In other words, I need to learn on my own.)

I don't think I want to get so anal that I use a magnifying glass to grade my comics, but I do want to get to a point where I'm helping myself, not hindering myself when it comes to new purchases.

practice makes perfect. Review with someone whose grading you trust, post books in the Hey buddy can you spare a grade forum, take some test runs on submitting books to CGC and recording the grade you would make and compare it to what they grade it. It takes a long time... combination of art and science.

practice makes perfect. Review with someone whose grading you trust, post books in the Hey buddy can you spare a grade forum, take some test runs on submitting books to CGC and recording the grade you would make and compare it to what they grade it. It takes a long time... combination of art and science.

(thumbs u

So where do I start?

Get a job working for Chuck . . . :insane:

You know, I've actually considered asking about that, just to see what they'd do. Then I realized that, even as a novice, my grading my be too strict and too consistent for them. :lol:

I like the idea of using the Hey Buddy forum, but at the same time, an image isn't the same as the real deal. Still, it'll help.

And sending to CGC makes me a little worried. As some of you know, the books I collect aren't exactly "worth" sending in to be graded if I'm not on my game. Sure, if I expect and get back a 9.8, my John Carter books will be great, but if I miss something and send in a 9.0, then I just wasted a few bucks.

I'd suggest spending some time in the PGM forum. It's not 100% perfect, but it has definitely sharpened my skills a bit. And I agree--avoid looking at the pictures from the OSGG as they're not always reflective of the standards given. However, it's still a great tool for all of the standards provided for each grade.

You also might check with some LCS owners and get their thoughts on how they grade (if they're solid graders to begin with ;) )

I'd suggest spending some time in the PGM forum. It's not 100% perfect, but it has definitely sharpened my skills a bit. And I agree--avoid looking at the pictures from the OSGG as they're not always reflective of the standards given. However, it's still a great tool for all of the standards provided for each grade.

You also might check with some LCS owners and get their thoughts on how they grade (if they're solid graders to begin with ;) )

This is actually a big part of the reason I created comic-share.com I want people to have a permanent well organized version of the PGM forum. I encourage anyone who wants to learn to grade to use it as tool to help them learn the art. Of course anyone will tell you grading from scans is not nearly as reliable as grading in hand, but it's still a useful practice. Good luck.

This is actually a big part of the reason I created comic-share.com I want people to have a permanent well organized version of the PGM forum. I encourage anyone who wants to learn to grade to use it as tool to help them learn the art. Of course anyone will tell you grading from scans is not nearly as reliable as grading in hand, but it's still a useful practice. Good luck.

I was about to pimp your site in the exact same way. :)

are you planning on submitting/grading moderns or older age books? Modern books can be "easier" to grade once you know what to look for and get used to spotting defects on current books.

older age books, i'm not sure how to grade those effectively unless they're NM, so i can't help you there.

are you planning on submitting/grading moderns or older age books? Modern books can be "easier" to grade once you know what to look for and get used to spotting defects on current books.

older age books, i'm not sure how to grade those effectively unless they're NM, so i can't help you there.

I'm decent with modern stuff, but I'm starting to grade bronze and coppers.

If you have a bunch of 75 and up books that you feel comfortable with your assigned grade, do a prescreen. Set your minumum grade send them in and if they don't meet your grade, its a $3.00 per book lesson.

If you have a bunch of 75 and up books that you feel comfortable with your assigned grade, do a prescreen. Set your minumum grade send them in and if they don't meet your grade, its a $3.00 per book lesson.

Hmm, a minimum grade. Interesting.

If I did this, do I get some sort of notes on what pushed it below my desired grade? I mean, if I find a color fleck and spine stress but they find something completely different, then I'm only learning half my lesson.

But yeah, I like the idea...

No notes, but you get the idea and start heading in the right direction. If your minimum grade is 9.4 and the books that don't meet that criteria. When you get them back, double check and try to figure out what you missed. Usually but not always, it turns up to be a small bend you missed originally

You could also buy a variety of slabbed books in different conditions to give you an idea of what a base 9.0 7.5 5.5 etc look like. I'm sure there are plenty of boardies here that would help you out buy selling you some at a reasonable price.

For years and years, Overstreet esposed the same grading standards regardless of the age of the book.

When did this change?

Where is it stated that CGC uses different grading standards for different ages of books.

Unless CGC has said otherwise, the legend of the GA bump is just that, legend.

I want to learn to grade so I can pick and choose which books to send to CGC.

A great and free way to learn is thru the Heritage archives.......you can view supersize front and back cover scans, and go thru the following exercise over and over again:

pick a commonly sold book with a dark cover ( because they show defects the best ) like AF15, and look at front and back cover scans in as many grades as possible.......fair, fair/good, good, good+, VG-, VG, VG/F ....all the way up to NM

Do this with about 20 - 30 different books, and you will start to see a trend / pattern within each grade. You also have to read the item descriptions, as spine splits are often not visible in a CGC holder, but often mentioned in the Heritage item descriptions...especially on the bigger books. This WILL work...just takes patience and dedication. (thumbs u

For years and years, Overstreet esposed the same grading standards regardless of the age of the book.

When did this change?

Where is it stated that CGC uses different grading standards for different ages of books.

Unless CGC has said otherwise, the legend of the GA bump is just that, legend.

EG: Is it true that CGC grades a little more leniently on Golden-Age books...?

SB: Yes...

A 1" crease on an Action #2 looks smaller and less obtrusive than a 1" crease on a Spidey #38 and the same 1" crease looks even more obtrusive on a Mighty Midget Comics #1.

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/IV/