• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to learn to grade?

27 posts in this topic

You conveniently left out some important stuff. Here it is with the missing info.

EG: Is it true that CGC grades a little more leniently on Golden-Age books because of the number of printing defects(such as bindery tears) that came on these books off the presses?

SB: Yes. Not all comic books are manufactured the same and that has to be taken into account when grading it, that is why it is so important to hire industry experts such as Haspel, Friesen, and Stephan. If you have never handled a GA Terrific # 1 then you have no clue as to the "printing/bindery" defects most copies of it has.

Also, you have to consider a little bit of "eye appeal". A 1" crease on an Action #2 looks smaller and less obtrusive than a 1" crease on a Spidey #38 and the same 1" crease looks even more obtrusive on a Mighty Midget Comics #1.

You conveniently left out some important stuff. Here it is with the missing info.

EG: Is it true that CGC grades a little more leniently on Golden-Age books because of the number of printing defects(such as bindery tears) that came on these books off the presses?

SB: Yes. Not all comic books are manufactured the same and that has to be taken into account when grading it, that is why it is so important to hire industry experts such as Haspel, Friesen, and Stephan. If you have never handled a GA Terrific # 1 then you have no clue as to the "printing/bindery" defects most copies of it has.

Also, you have to consider a little bit of "eye appeal". A 1" crease on an Action #2 looks smaller and less obtrusive than a 1" crease on a Spidey #38 and the same 1" crease looks even more obtrusive on a Mighty Midget Comics #1.

Of course. But since you didn't know any of it, I thought I'd give you the Cliff's Notes version.

I don't remember the URL, but I recall seeing a site that walked you through an evaluation of a comic and spit out a grade at the end.

For example, it would ask about the top left corner and give you options like: sharp, slightly blunted, rounded, etc. There would also be visual cues for each description.

You could also buy a variety of slabbed books in different conditions to give you an idea of what a base 9.0 7.5 5.5 etc look like. I'm sure there are plenty of boardies here that would help you out buy selling you some at a reasonable price.

This is the way to go .... and crack them open. You'll need to see inside the book, as well as inspecting the covers closely on an angle to the light.