• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The $1 million AF #15 and the most Valuable Comic in the world

Most Valuable Comic  

537 members have voted

1. 1. Most Valuable Comic

222 posts in this topic

You all are probably familiar with the famous offer a few years ago for $1 million for anyone that could produce a CGC 9.4 Action Comics #1. None has surfaced, but I think it is clear that the one existing CGC 8.5 would probably fetch $1 million in this market.

With the sale of a CGC 8.5 AF #15 for $118,000, it now looks as if the one exisiting CGC 9.6 could also hit $1 million. If you owned it, would you sell it for under that? I would not.

So what is the current most valuable known CGC comic in the world? The Action #1 CGC 8.5, The Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.6? Another choice?

I love Spidey... but there's no way AF 15 will ever, ever top Action 1 let alone Tec 27. When we're looking at those giants, being in 3rd place isn't so bad. :shrug:

3rd place? All American #16? hm

CGC 8.5 just sold for $85,000.00 anyone know the highest graded copy ?

This spidey book seems to be bought by speculators far more then collectors.

Interesting. The Mile High Action #1 is generally considered to be the best copy, but has never been CGC graded. And as an offer for it has alreasy hit $2 million, I think it stands as the highest benchmark book. Why not CGC it? Is there a problem?

But really ask yourself, if you held the one AF#15 in 9.6, would you let it go for under $1 million? I just don't see it with the explosion this book has gone through.

So it may not beat the top Action #1's of even the TEC 27, but it may be in the top 5 books at auction. Spidey is iconic, and the best copy is one of a kind. At current top grades, the AF #15 will leave Superman #1, Batman #1 and All American #16 in the dust (I am only taking about the current highest graded books, not "in general"). Just watch the next 10 years.

I love Spidey... but there's no way AF 15 will ever, ever top Action 1 let alone Tec 27. When we're looking at those giants, being in 3rd place isn't so bad. :shrug:

All the top books are bought by investors/ speculators (though they may also be collectors and must usually be comic lovers at the least).

Interesting. The Mile High Action #1 is generally considered to be the best copy, but has never been CGC graded. And as an offer for it has alreasy hit $2 million, I think it stands as the highest benchmark book. Why not CGC it? Is there a problem?

But really ask yourself, if you held the one AF#15 in 9.6, would you let it go for under $1 million? I just don't see it with the explosion this book has gone through.

So it may not beat the top Action #1's of even the TEC 27, but it may be in the top 5 books at auction. Spidey is iconic, and the best copy is one of a kind. At current top grades, the AF #15 will leave Superman #1, Batman #1 and All American #16 in the dust (I am only taking about the current highest graded books, not "in general"). Just watch the next 10 years.

BUT..

What happens when a second copy shows up ? What if multiple 9.4's show up ? Too many HG's could easily drop numbers for the book. The GA books you have mentioned have no place to go, as this point in time I highly doubt higher copies will surface.

And in response to the Action 1 (Mile High Copy)

2Million, no sale. The guy is not trying to sell that copy, and some high profile buyers have tried.. And failed. And CGC the book ? What for ? What would be the point of taking the risk of SCS on that book?

IF I owned the MH Action 1 I'll be damned if I would even let someone else touch it. Let alone have 3 guys flip through it.

I really dont think the 9.6 would bring 1million. I think that is extremely optimistic. If it hit $600K I would fall off my chair.

And I would also be willing to go and help He11blazer eat his collection.

Did you fall off your chair when the 8.5 went for $118,000! I did. Looks like we have a long future of falling off our chairs over this book. Not too long ago dealers were laughing at AF #15 for $10,000 in VF....telling stories about selling multiple high grade copies all through the 1980's.

All the top books are bought by investors/ speculators (though they may also be collectors and must usually be comic lovers at the least).

I dont agree. There are plenty of people who just want to have really HG copies. Raw or slabbed. GA and SA are not that different, some people are just serious HG collectors.

You all are probably familiar with the famous offer a few years ago for $1 million for anyone that could produce a CGC 9.4 Action Comics #1. None has surfaced, but I think it is clear that the one existing CGC 8.5 would probably fetch $1 million in this market.

With the sale of a CGC 8.5 AF #15 for $118,000, it now looks as if the one exisiting CGC 9.6 could also hit $1 million. If you owned it, would you sell it for under that? I would not.

So what is the current most valuable known comic in the world? The Action #1 CGC 8.5, The Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.6? Another choice?

I voted "other" as the Dentist's Action #1 sprang to mind, immediately.............

I really dont think the 9.6 would bring 1million. I think that is extremely optimistic. If it hit $600K I would fall off my chair.

And I would also be willing to go and help He11blazer eat his collection.

Did you fall off your chair when the 8.5 went for $118,000! I did. Looks like we have a long future of falling off our chairs over this book. Not too long ago dealers were laughing at AF #15 for $10,000 in VF....telling stories about selling MULTIPLE HIGH GRADE copies all through the 1980's.

The BOLD is where the problem will arise. How many people are going to spend over 100K for a book. Be realistic, that is a very limited amount of buyers. Supply and Demand, copies will be sold and slabbed for record prices. But at some point in time there will be more copies then buyers. What happens then ?

BUT..

What happens when a second copy shows up ? What if multiple 9.4's show up ? Too many HG's could easily drop numbers for the book. The GA books you have mentioned have no place to go, as this point in time I highly doubt higher copies will surface.

And in response to the Action 1 (Mile High Copy)

2Million, no sale. The guy is not trying to sell that copy, and some high profile buyers have tried.. And failed. And CGC the book ? What for ? What would be the point of taking the risk of SCS on that book?

IF I owned the MH Action 1 I'll be damned if I would even let someone else touch it. Let alone have 3 guys flip through it.

An excellent point! Do you think the CGC guys would travel to the book and case it on site (at the vault). I bet they would, and would probably do it for a low cost just to get the publicity. But you are correct, the only reason to do it would be to sell it, and if he is holding it, why bother...he knows what he has already.

I highly doubt the CGC co. will ever be offered the option. Slabbing that book is just such a poor idea. Imagine buying it and cracking it out. Most expensive Whoops ever. IF it ever sells, it will be raw.

CGC validates the integrity of a book, and it's grade. Here's one book that does not require such affectation. (worship)(worship)

I highly doubt the CGC co. will ever be offered the option. Slabbing that book is just such a poor idea. Imagine buying it and cracking it out. Most expensive Whoops ever. IF it ever sells, it will be raw.

I quite agree. Which makes me wonder again, why did Verzyl have this done?:

aa16_book_lg.jpg