• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-men reprints...

18 posts in this topic

I always thought that those uncanny x-men nº60's and something until the famous nº94 looked very nice, being a big format and including new covers (and sometimes a few extras inside).

What do you guys think?

Are these to go up in value in the next years? I've noticed that from the last 3 years to nowadays they have increased...

Regards, Pedro.

They seem to go up at a pretty steady rate.

Here are the issue numbers and what they reprint:

67 Reprints 12 & 13

68 Reprints 14 & 15

69 Reprints 16 & 19

70 Reprints 17 & 18

71 Reprints 20

72 Reprints 21 & 24

73 Reprints 25

74 Reprints 26

75 Reprints 27

76 Reprints 28

77 Reprints 29

78 Reprints 30

79 Reprints 31

80 Reprints 32

81 Reprints 33

82 Reprints 34

83 Reprints 35

84 Reprints 36

85 Reprints 37

86 Reprints 38

87 Reprints 39

88 Reprints 40

89 Reprints 41

90 Reprints 42

91 Reprints 43

92 Reprints 44

93 Reprints 45

thanks a lot for your help and info. it's always nice to have all these "instant" feedback on our thoughts/points of view.

regarding the price i think they almost doubled from 3 years ago to nowadays. Am i wrong?

regarding the price i think they almost doubled from 3 years ago to nowadays. Am i wrong?

This is another instance of the "OMFG these issues are ultra-rare in HG" hype catching ahold, and then dying off. I can remember these issues going for insane amounts in CGC 9.2 and up, but those days are long past.

Reprints have never been valued as high as the original material, no matter how hard the Rarity Hounds bark.

Two years ago I [/i]think[/i] they were $30 in NM (Overstreet Guide) and this year they are $45. I could be wrong.

They go for a lot more then that. Issues 67 to 72 are at $70 ( not including issue 71) and the remaiing reprints are going for $50. I have been concentrating on X-men for many years and the reprint issues are very difficult to find. These issues spent many years in $1 bins are getting harder and harder to find in high grade. I have been to many shows and they are non existent. Take a look at Blazing Bob's, Metropolis, Heritage, Yee - all have a sparingly stocked reprint issues. That is not due to lack of demand but lack of availability. With all due respect to joe_collector, he is way off. These issues have been consistingly selling for mutliples of guide and will continue to do so. There are only 216 graded issues in 9.4 or above for issues 67 to 93 - that is a very low ratio if you spread it out over all those issues. Issues 93 , 90 , 84, 83 , 79 , 73 , 71 , 68 are the hardest to find.

Joe Collector is right that reprints will usually not ever be worth as much as the originals ( there are exceptions) but these reprints are here to stay in the higher price ranges.

Tomega

I never said they were easy to find in HG, only that the Rarity Hounds have already barked them up the value tree, and back down.

Sure, they sell for a premium, but did you track the insane prices during the "OMFG these are impossible to find in HG" hype? Easily 1/2 or more of the high-end value has been lost since then.

Issues 93 , 90 , 84, 83 , 79 , 73 , 71 , 68 are the hardest to find.

I don't know how accurate this statement is. I don't even consider the reprints as part of my X-Men run. I only have four of them, that I picked up for a song, and they are 68 (VF), 77(VF+), 83(NM-) and 93 (NM). Three of those are on your list and I have them without even trying. Either they are not that hard to find or I am extremely lucky.

I agree, and I've got quite a few of these due to buying broken runs which included early New X-Men issues, and the fact that I pick up 20-cent Marvels if the price is right.

The problem with this whole "rare in high grade" is due to the CGC schema of cutting off the inexpensive grading at 1974. I wouldn't sell them NM raw because it would be highly unlikely I'd get a price I want, and grading them is simply too expensive.

We will never know how many NM or higher, non-uber-key 20-cent Marvels there are out there, until the CGC grading price comes down for these $250 and under books.

We will never know how many NM or higher, non-uber-key 20-cent Marvels there are out there, until the CGC grading price comes down for these $250 and under books.

Good point. That's an issue I never even considered. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Issues 93 , 90 , 84, 83 , 79 , 73 , 71 , 68 are the hardest to find.

I don't know how accurate this statement is. I don't even consider the reprints as part of my X-Men run. I only have four of them, that I picked up for a song, and they are 68 (VF), 77(VF+), 83(NM-) and 93 (NM). Three of those are on your list and I have them without even trying. Either they are not that hard to find or I am extremely lucky.

I would hope you picked them up for a song if they were not graded and met the grades you listed. But let me clarify my statement, they are hard to find in high grade 9.4 or above. I literally have multiple copies of each but not what I consider in the upper echelon of grading. Although this is not the end all or total indicator of availability, there are only 39 graded issues that are 9.4 or above. It is ironic that the issues you mentioned are the easier to find in the group that I listed. If I took out the issues you listed , there would be only 9 issues graded in 9.4 or above in the census. Again. I know that is not the end all of how many issues are out there in high grade but it a partial indicator. A while ago, someone posted a link to the print runs of those issues and some of them were pretty low. If anybody remembers the link, please let me know.

On another note, I will be listing about 70 issues of X-men prior to 67 in varying grades. If interested, I would be happy to PM you a list before I put it in the market place and eBay.

Tomega

Although this is not the end all or total indicator of availability, there are only 39 graded issues that are 9.4 or above.

Of course, and once CGC lowers the grading fee for these sub-$250, 1970-74 Marvels, expect that number to mushroom. Not that people are sitting on stacks like Hulk 181, but you'd have to think a X-Men reprint would have a pretty good shot at 9.6 to take the risk under the current pricing structure.

Since I really don't like the reprints, I'd definitely send a few in, but not at the current nosebleed rates for pre-75 books.

On another note, I will be listing about 70 issues of X-men prior to 67 in varying grades. If interested, I would be happy to PM you a list before I put it in the market place and eBay.

Tomega

Well now that you mention it.... grin.gif

My want list is short and I can't afford them all right now, but here it is:

1, 3, 4, 6, 11, 20, 52 and 58.

The closer to number one the more I'm willing to take lower grades. I'm more a completest then a perfectionist, but I like to buy the best grade I can afford so most of my run over #20 are VF or better.

Let me know what you've got that I need and what you want for them and maybe we can make a deal. Thanks.

But let me clarify my statement, they are hard to find in high grade 9.4 or above. I literally have multiple copies of each but not what I consider in the upper echelon of grading. Although this is not the end all or total indicator of availability, there are only 39 graded issues that are 9.4 or above.

THat is true not only because of the grading costs outlined above, but also because these were, for the most part, considered throw-away issues for a very long time and treated as such. Couple al lthat with the lower print runs, and there are going to be a lot less high grade copies out there.

While they will never likely be worth the issues they were re-printing, very high grade copies(9.4 and up) will likely fetch quite the premium for X-Men collectors.

Well now that you mention it.... grin.gif

My want list is short and I can't afford them all right now, but here it is:

1, 3, 4, 6, 11, 20, 52 and 58.

The closer to number one the more I'm willing to take lower grades. I'm more a completest then a perfectionist, but I like to buy the best grade I can afford so most of my run over #20 are VF or better.

Let me know what you've got that I need and what you want for them and maybe we can make a deal. Thanks.

From a cursory list , I will be putting up the following :

two issues of #1 -1.0 & 1.5

two issues of 11 -2.0 & 3.5

three issues of 20 -9.0, 3.5, & 1.0 .

one issue of #6 in 6.0

I am will be scanning all of them and psoting them on a web site before I sell them. I will let you know when it is done.

Tom