• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX vs CGC grading example -- My Love Annual #1

33 posts in this topic

Bears out what has been discussed in other threads re: 1 - 2 level grading deltas.

Purchased a copy of My Love Annual #1 PGX 8.5 off eBay, sent to CGC, came back 7.0.

I am actually delighted with it regardless as this book is so hard to find, period. But thought it might interest board members to see another example of comparative grading levels.

PGX

My-Love-Special-1-F.jpg

CGC

My-Love-Annual-1-F.jpg

Tan/Cream ... Not much difference there. The book looks better than a 7.0 from the small scan.... What is your honest grade of the book?? Looking at the scans.. It looks like the PGX grade is the more accurate of the two... 7.0 looks awfully low for this book IMHO.. I'll even say the CGC missed the mark on this book. Big Time!!! Again.. IMHO.

Personally I would put it at at least an 8.0, but I haven't flipped through it and it's entirely possible there's small things internally that knock it down. Also I think the back cover may be a bit dirty/worn, but nothing big. It is in fine shape overall.

You can zoom in and view higher-res pic of the book in CGC case by clicking the magnifying glass icon at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lemurware/ComicsMyLoveGraded#5251989362643289202

It's the deduction CGC gives for tan pages that hammers the grade. The 8.5 seems to be pretty much right on. The difference comes to the page quality. Had CGC also called them cream pages, I think you'd have gotten back what you were expecting.

If it is a page color difference. It is a very small difference of opinion. Tan or Cream... There isn't much difference really. I could be that PGX saw this was a very nice overall copy and decided to go with the Cream Pages because of the overall condition of the book. Possibly because they didn't want to hammer the grade on such a nice looking copy.. If that is the case. I think they were right in making that decision. I'd take this book all day long as a 7.0!! PGX got it right this time.. IMHO. Another thread here mentions a book being a 8.0. It was re subbed soon after it arrived at the owners house. It was re graded a 8.5. Why? The same book was out there graded a 8.0 with rusty staples, etc... The CGC made the right decision there. But made the wrong decision here.. IMHO. When you remit a book for grading your asking for an opinion. Both on restoration and grade. It is an opinion only.. I have un slabbed quite a few books from there CGC slabs. One that comes to mind is a Incredible Hulk 181 White Pages. It came back at a very under graded 8.0 White Pages. I was to say the least, miffed. I took the book out of the slab and sold it raw as a 9.2 White Pages book. The new owner had it sent to The CGC. It came back a 9.2 White Pages... Go figure out how that happened. I have not a clue. I told the owner it was once in a CGC 8.0 slab as well. He was as dumbfounded as I was at that grade. That's why he bought the book. We both new it was much nicer than a 8.0..

Yes, I sent it to CGC in the PGX slab. It would be an interesting experiment to remove it from CGC slab and send it back in and see what it gets, but I probably won't bother in this case.

I empathize a lot with CGC, grading at the volume they do seems hugely difficult and it is so easy to miss something one time, but not another time, or vice-versa. Everyone's only human after all.

Of course I also recognize I am doing this solely as a hobby, and I have avoided most high-value books thus far, and I can totally see how it would be a different story if my livelihood depended on or was otherwise dramatically impacted by their grading.

Bears out what has been discussed in other threads re: 1 - 2 level grading deltas.

Purchased a copy of My Love Annual #1 PGX 8.5 off eBay, sent to CGC, came back 7.0.

I am actually delighted with it regardless as this book is so hard to find, period. But thought it might interest board members to see another example of comparative grading levels.

PGX

My-Love-Special-1-F.jpg

CGC

My-Love-Annual-1-F.jpg

I had two PGX 8.5 books come back CGC 9.4's.

Hey, CGC hammered the book because of the Tan pages, that was all that was listed in the grader notes. Paul said all 3 outer edges were noted as VERY tan working towards OW as you moved to the interior. One grader pegged it as 7.5 , the others 7.0

Tan pages are one step from being brittle which we all know are the kiss of death.

So while structurally it might look to be an 8.5 type book, the paper quality of the outer edges sunk it. Now you can argue as to whether or not CGC or Daniel was more correct in their PQ assesment, human nature and all.

(:

oh man, I wish you had sent that to CGC without the competitor's slab, human nature being what it is.

FOR SCIENCE, MAN!

They were sent as raw books.

not you, Joey, the OP.

I didn't take the time to refernce the original post.

PGX

My-Love-Special-1-F.jpg

CGC

My-Love-Annual-1-F.jpg

How can that be the same book? Maybe one of you guys that understands scanner settings better than I can can explain it, but look at the colors on those two books. The heart and the handbag are orange on the one copy and deep reflective red on the other. The man's shirt, the water in the ocean even the green lettering are all totally different. I don't get it.

I noticed that as well, I think it is related to the tapered well in the PGX holder bending in downwards(giving a rounded appearence) as opposed to the CGC blunt wall holder.

(shrug)