• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New Favorite Slabbed Underground Comic

15 posts in this topic

Big fan of Rory Hayes, and look what I just got back from CGC:

Bogeyman-1-F.jpg

Bogeyman-1-B.jpg

Now if only I could find a upgrade for my San Francisco Comic Book #1 CGC 7.0. I submitted a raw attempt along with the Bogeyman, sadly the results were not as good:

SF-Comic-1-6_0-F.jpg

SF-Comic-1-6_0-B.jpg

Guess I'll keep trying. However I am beyond stoked on the Bogeyman. That rocks, dude.

There's a great book that just came out on Rory Hayes art called "Where Demented Wented" that you can get on Amazon for like $15. He worked on a lot of the early underground comic books with Crumb, Welz, and others.

Standard disclaimer re: a lot of hardcore crude adult-oriented humor, as is the case with much of the comix stuff.

And more on Hayes here:

http://lambiek.net/artists/h/hayes_rory.htm

shaper

that's a gem of a Bogeyman... did you purchase it from publisher Don Donahue?

i imagine you'd have to buy 20 NMs to get a 9.8 as white as that!

oh & nothing wrong with that SF #1! that is tough book to find in just about any condition...

i bought a nice copy once, but it had the last 3 pages ripped out (gave it to a friend).

the one i have now might pull around 5.0.

Some great books shaper - I picked up a bogeyman that looks like it might grade out a 9.6 or 9.8 from Don, but I'll likely keep it raw. Nice to see yours graded and get that kind of grade (thumbs u He had a few more left when I picked it up if anyone is interested.

I also have an All-Stars 2 CGC 9.2 which I believe has a Rory Hayes cover (or Rick Griffin, but I know it does contain Rory Hayes art - its at my other place so I can't confirm) - and contributions from a handful of the best artists of the UG era. It's a tough book in grade because of the square-bound spine, size (mag) and the manufactured tape on the spine. If you're interested let me know.

You should ping aardvark88 (Allan) of the boards - I'm certain he's got a bunch of cool Rory Hayes stuff. Also, that San Francisco Comics is probably one of the toughest UG books in grade, so don't be too hard on yourself. The fact that you've got two copies of the book is a quite an impressive feat on its own (thumbs u

shaper

that's a gem of a Bogeyman... did you purchase it from publisher Don Donahue?

i imagine you'd have to buy 20 NMs to get a 9.8 as white as that!

oh & nothing wrong with that SF #1! that is tough book to find in just about any condition...

i bought a nice copy once, but it had the last 3 pages ripped out (gave it to a friend).

the one i have now might pull around 5.0.

I bought it off eBay from a guy in Oakland and, crazily enough, he had it listed as NM and it actually was! I was blown away when I took delivery.

On the whiteness I cranked the brightness up on the scan a bit as they've all been coming out too dark but it is still pretty dang white.

Haven't bought anything from Donahue yet, I should see what he still has. How does he structure his pricing?

SF #1, agreed very hard to find, I overpaid for my raw 6.0 as I bought a CGC'd 7.0 for the same price. They come up maybe once every three months on eBay, and there are pretty much none to be found anywhere else. Fun to try to hunt them down.

don pretty much prices his books fairly, i would say.

the beauty is that his prices go down w/ condition in some cases,

so one might pay less for his VF (but still get a VFNM or better).

i find that he nails the grade at the top-end, grades spot on in mid-grade, & under grades for lower stuff.

it has been 2yrs since i ordered, but i recall his Bogeyman #1s being in the $80 range.

of course no SF#1s, but he has nice copies of #2.

did you guys ever notice how the IFC of SF#1 has a tendency to really suffer from acid transfer (tanning the IFC)?

i can't recall if i am phrasing that phenomenon correctly,

but it seems like the guts are particularly acidic w/ that book.

one funny thing about that book is that it is mis-priced at $3 in NM in the Fogel Guide...

but just about ANY condition copy garners >$100 on the Bay

shaper-- lets see a scan of the 7.0 SF#1... not often you see >2 nice SF#1s in the same thread. Eggs... throw up a picture of yours too.

:headbang:

oh & if ComicWiz has a 7.0... well that's a pretty good bar to reach i'd say!!

My SF #1 pics below, and full-view with zoomable at my Picasa Underground Graded album.

These scans didn't turn out as well as the 6.0, re: brightness and color. I haven't totally figured out wtf is up with my scanner/software. Sometimes they look great and sometimes they don't. These look washed out but you can still see the book is in great shape.

I agree these seem to have more acidic innards. And in particular also the printing on the front cover frequently rubs off on the edges which is weird, haven't seen that with many other books.

SF-Comic-1-7_0-F.jpg

SF-Comic-1-7_0-B.jpg