• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hulk 181 ripped on this board?

37 posts in this topic

a more recent time where Batman kicks Supes butt is in Red Son (but you guys might not include it because it was an Elseworlds story confused-smiley-013.gif) ;; Batman's uses Red Sun lamp radiation to bring Superman down to regular human strength levels and I love how he ties Wonder Woman up to bait Supes...

Wasn't picking on you...it was a humorously cynical oxymoron designed to be a snapshot of many people's feelings that Hulk 181, this otherwise wonderfully desirable comic, has been overdiscussed repeatedly in these forums to the point of it being a topic we're now sick of! makepoint.gifflowerred.gif

Wasn't picking on you...it was a humorously cynical oxymoron designed to be a snapshot of many people's feelings that Hulk 181, this otherwise wonderfully desirable comic, has been overdiscussed repeatedly in these forums to the point of it being a topic we're now sick of! makepoint.gifflowerred.gif

Get off the were as there is no were in me as I continue to like this book or love it to what ever way it must be addressed!

Davidking623

This thread that I started was the beginning of it as far as I can tell.

Link

I've never been a huge Wolverine fan(Or X-men fan for that matter), but Hulk 181 never used to bother me, and infact, being that I collect keys, I considered it an important book for me to buy. But it seems that a conversation about keys cannot take place on these boards without Hulk 181 being mentioned. And ever since that damned 9.8 sold on Ebay for 20K, people have not been able to shut up about it. In EVERY investment/market related discussion, that one friggin' sale has to come up. Sure, it was a record sale, but there have been many other key sales of much more significance. What about the FF #1 in 9.4 that sold for almost 120K? For that matter, you almost never hear about FF#1, TOS #39, or any other major keys that are genuinly tough to find and rarely come up for sale in high grade. Yet, even though there's a Hulk 181 in 9.4+ on Ebay every week, people still seem genuinly enthralled and mystified by this book. Personally, I'm much more impressed by a VF 8.0 FF #1, than a Hulk 181 in 9.8. sign-rantpost.gif

I found this in an old Metro Market report that Vincent wrote, and it sums up my opinion perfectly, not just on this Hulk 181 issue, but also on what seems to be an unhealthy mentality currently existing in the hobby:

At an auction last year, my friend Adam purchased a CGC 8.0 VF copy of Hulk #1. At the same auction, was a copy of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.8. After the auction, I was talking to Adam when another collector came over and asked what Adam had purchased that day. Envy came over this persons face when Adam told him he purchased the Hulk. That look was replaced with one of severe disappointment when Adam clarified his statement that he had not purchased the #181, but rather the #1. Adam went down several notches because he had made the mistake of buying the common as dirt Hulk #1 instead of the ultra rare Hulk #181. I would point to another example of a Metropolis customer who is looking to put together a complete Action Comics collection from number #1 on up. I called him several weeks ago to offer him 2 books –a copy of issue #52 in CGC 7.5 (classic black cover) and a CGC 9.6 copy of issue #365. He was delighted at the privilege of being offered the relatively common #365 but passed on the #52 because it was not in high grade. In my opinion, that collector made a mistake. Just to be clear, this collector really wants a #52 because it is one of his favorite covers. His mistake was using the grade as the only factor in whether or not to make a purchase. This collector is on the road to putting together an ultra high-grade collection of all the Action that can easily be found in high grade. He will pay anything for a Action 400 in 9.8 but will have a glassy-eyed look when offered a Fine Action #23 (first Luthor).

Get off the were as there is no were in me as I continue to like this book or love it to what ever way it must be addressed!

Davidking623

Were? I were sick of it as well. It were discussed here way to much. If I were a Hulk 181...... Can't were all just get along? To be or not to be, that were the question. insane.gifQuite the versatile word.....

a more recent time where Batman kicks Supes butt is in Red Son (but you guys might not include it because it was an Elseworlds story confused-smiley-013.gif) ;; Batman's uses Red Sun lamp radiation to bring Superman down to regular human strength levels and I love how he ties Wonder Woman up to bait Supes...

DKR wasn't exactly in the normal DC realm either. For me that book was my biggest disappointment I have ever read...

DKR wasn't exactly in the normal DC realm either. For me that book was my biggest disappointment I have ever read...

foreheadslap.gif

Not to harp on ya man, I seem to remember that you said something about only being a toddler when Lennon died. I was 13 when that book came out and can tell you gossip.gif that it turned the comic industry upside down and created geniune excitement the type of which has NOT been unartificially reproduced very often in the past decade or so. thumbsup2.gif

That's the problem it was too hyped by the time I read it. I heard oh Batman oh the Dark Knight is back. I thought that meant he would kill thugs like he did in his early days in Detective. I prefer the Batman that will kill but DC won't go for that anymore and it's against his morals. The other problems I had were it was so dated. 1986 as Sug said. I mean I if Frank was shooting for futuristic then why take everything that was around in 1986. The clothes and sun glasses scream 1980's and the "hip" language the younger crowd is using. I also was really really disppointed in the way the Joker was killed off. I read somewhere that Batman breaks his neck in #3 killing him. (might have been what Wizard used to note). Well...that's not exactly what happens. He breaks his neck and Joker moves a little severing his nerves so Batman would be blamed for his murder. I just thought that was kind of weak. I thought it would have been a lot would ahve worked out better if they tangled on the Roller Coaster and Joker made it looked like he was pushed or something. But after his neck breaks he talks about paralysis but can move enough to severe his nerves? 893whatthe.gif

I was also horrified by Miller's art work. And just to let you know I'm not trying to hate on Miller becuase his work on Daredevil 168-181 was perhaps my favorite run. After reading the Miller Visionaries Vol. 2 I was blown away and decided that old horn head was a pretty cool guy.

I was also horrified by Miller's art work. And just to let you know I'm not trying to hate on Miller becuase his work on Daredevil 168-181 was perhaps my favorite run. After reading the Miller Visionaries Vol. 2 I was blown away and decided that old horn head was a pretty cool guy.

I remember buying DD 158 as a teenager and hating Miller's work. I didn't get it back then. Today, I think it's great. And that pre-Miller stuff I loved back then, I hate now...

And Hulk 181 is still overrated.

And Batman can still kick Spiderman's arse.