• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hulk 181 ripped on this board?

37 posts in this topic

Is it the price a HG copy can demand, or is it the fact that it confused-smiley-013.gif is considered one of the top keys in the MU? It seems to be a sore spot with some-why? Behind Spider-Man this could be the most popular MU charecter, so his first full app. is going to be highly sought after. Thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

I've only been here a short time like you, but from what I've read here, it seems like one of the reasons it gets ripped is that it has been discussed ad nauseum, so whenever it's brought up again, people groan and roll their eyes. It also seems like this book has been bid up to ridiculous heights by some of the speculators out there. There's also been a lot of dicussion of whether this is indeed a hard to find book or not, and it seems the consensus is that there is a good number of copies out there. It has also been established pretty well here that this is probably the biggest key issue from the Marvel Bronze age.

But, this is just my take on this, from one newbie to the boards to another.... confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a great book and all, but people are tired of talking about it b/c it has been discussed at great lengths here for the last year and a half. Every possible angle and sidebar regarding this book has been hashed and re-hashed and served up as hash leftovers. Same thing with the crash discussions, and that's why you see so many comments about "Hulk 181" and "The Crash" that don't have anything to do with either...as in, "I'm sick of hearing about Hulk 181/The Crash."

That's all... confused-smiley-013.gif

If you like the book and want to discuss it go into a hulk 181 thread and talk away.Dont let anyone on this board dictate your feelings as I really love the book!

I agree wholeheartedly, except I would add that anyone who likes Hulk 181 stinks a lot and will never ever be loved by another human being. ooo.giffrown.gif

If you like the book and want to discuss it go into a hulk 181 thread and talk away.Dont let anyone on this board dictate your feelings as I really love the book!

I agree wholeheartedly, except I would add that anyone who likes Hulk 181 stinks a lot and will never ever be loved by another human being. ooo.giffrown.gif

You want to try explaining this one to my 7 children?

Maybe even my Wife?

Of course I did say love and not likes so I guess you were talking to others but why did you quote my quote with Love the Book?

Davidking623

Who's "we"? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I picked up a "NM" copy for $300 less than three years ago, slabbed it, it came back a 9.4, and I sold it. Like the overall market, this was not a $1,000+ book (even in true NM as graded by the big dealers) before CGC, so as late as 2000 you could pick up NM copies for a fraction of today's prices. Early on, even CGC 9.4's could be had for under $1,000.

I remember an article in CBM(?) that was published in the late 90's about what bronze age books had broken the $1k barrier. I believe the author was Doug Sulipa? In any event, he talked about NM copies of U$ 179, DC 100 Pager #5, HoS 92, and Hulk 181 breaking $1k, and that was about it. Guide values aside, prior to CGC there were very few $1k+ sales of bronze age books...

Well as you can see ppl even tonofbricks.gif on the thread as well as the book. To add a little to the other factors that have been mentioned with Hulk 181. I think that the book is really a comodity now moreso than any other book out there. IE it can be had, but it still costs a bit, and multiple graded and raw copies change hands every day on EBAY, which make you wonder about the price ceiling for this book, oops 893naughty-thumb.gif another topic that has been discussed ad naseam.

All I can say is Hulk 181 is Hulk 181 confused-smiley-013.gif but if you are seeking to purchase one be very wary as this book will require homework, as alot of the copies on Ebay are recirculated over and over 893naughty-thumb.gif another topic thats been beat to death. sleeping.gif anyway oh ya, well its just one of those things that makes comic collecting comic collecting. IH 181 represents the very best and the very worst that the hobby has to offer IMO

sign-offtopic.gif ----> I must take exception to this sig line:

SPIDEY CAN KICK BATMANS ARSE ANYDAY OF THE WEEK MONTH OR YEAR!!!!

Consider:

1. Superman could kick Spiderman's arse before breakfast.

2. Batman kicked Superman's arse at least twice: Once in Dark Knight Returns and once in Hush.

3. Thus, if Batman can kick the arse of someone who kicked Spiderman's arse, Batman could easily kick Spiderman's arse.

Now back to our regularly scheduled jabbering about Hulk 181. (Which is overpriced and overdiscussed on this board.)

sign-offtopic.gif ----> I must take exception to this sig line:

SPIDEY CAN KICK BATMANS ARSE ANYDAY OF THE WEEK MONTH OR YEAR!!!!

Consider:

1. Superman could kick Spiderman's arse before breakfast.

2. Batman kicked Superman's arse at least twice: Once in Dark Knight Returns and once in Hush.

3. Thus, if Batman can kick the arse of someone who kicked Spiderman's arse, Batman could easily kick Spiderman's arse.

Now back to our regularly scheduled jabbering about Hulk 181. (Which is overpriced and overdiscussed on this board.)

sign-offtopic.gifgreat circular logic by the way. but wrong.