• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing SPider-man 124

40 posts in this topic

It's the issue with the first Man-wolf (cgc 9.8 white pages). Comic link has it for $1950.00 - I wonder in what fantasy world they sell their comics in. I would love to purchase that comic but at that price I think I'll look at it and wait until they come to their senses. At best, I think it's worth about 600-750 range. What do you all think?

Whoever consigned it is probably promoting it as the highest cgc to date, so they want 15 x nm guide for the treasure.

15x?? Hah! Try 35.5 times the NM guide price of $55.

Somebody will probably try to justify the price on the grounds of rarity, but that just doesn't hold water with me. #124 is just not a key book (ooooh, the Man-Wolf...who gives a flying f***???) and does not have the inherent value to justify anywhere near $1950. What the "highest graded copy" crowd fails to realize is that the rarity argument can be used to justify almost any price, no matter how ludicrous. And make no mistake about it, $1950 is ludicrous and I'm calling you on it...!

Gene

Well, I guess in a world where a Giant Size Super-Stars #1 CGC 9.9 can sell for 31x the guide value of $35 (eBay Item #732299175), maybe 35x guide for an ASM #124 9.8 isn't so crazy after all...! confused.giftongue.gifcrazy.gif

Gene

The problem with this price is that 2 crazy bidders put in late bids for this book. Perhaps the guy who sniped at the end never really expected that book to go so high and bid up the current bidder. In a ComicLink situation where normally people can think it over, it may not fetch the crazy money! BTW, sign in! wink.gif

I actually recall this book selling pretty well for the past couple months..including recently..I couldn't tell you why though..It was either 124 or 125 that just closed in 9.4 for 150 dollars..now that's no 1950, but the book certainly is currently going for a multiple or two, I'd guess that maybe 600 or 700 would be a more realistic price on this book.

Brian

BTW, sign in!

Gaaaahhhh!! The post you were responding to was mine. I keep forgetting that the "Bronze" category allows you to reply to posts without being logged in...I always assume I'm already logged in when I see the "Reply" button hyperlinked.

However, I am NOT the "Anonymous" who started this thread.

Gene

Yes, unfortunately Arch has not totally eliminated the possibility of anonymous posters. I believe that the only forums that it is required to be logged in are the general, modern, and the marketplace. BTW, I did know that it was you responding! smirk.gif

The situation with Comic Link as most of you know, but not all....Josh doesn't set the prices on the books that aren't his, he just lists what the buyer wants. And the nice thing is that you can put in a bid and if it's accepted, than your all set....but it's not a given. Books will sell for more on Comic Link, (greggy wouldn't have gotten that price for his ASM 101 ) nor would it have sold that quick.

Mike

YES !! I have my NM copy of Detective 359 Boston Pedigree

Josh doesn't set the prices on the books that aren't his, he just lists what the buyer wants.

Does he? Let me tell you about my recent experience: I submitted a form around October 24 telling him to list my ASM #122 CGC 9.4 ow to w for $675. I never receive any confirmation from Josh. On October 29, an ASM #122 CGC 9.4 ow to w shows up for $760.

I send an e-mail to Josh asking is this my book? And if so, why did you mark up the price? I said $675 including the bidder's premium is fine with me, in fact, please confirm that the book is mine and lower the price to $650 if it is. Never hear back from him. Another couple of weeks pass and I tell him to remove the book if it's even mine. Still haven't heard back from him and the book is still listed.

I still do not know if this is even my book or not. The customer service at ComicLink is atrocious. And even though you can place bids on the books listed, I have done so in the past (and know others who have done so) and it never leads anywhere. It seems the only way books get sold is to pay the listed price (I have bought a few books from ComicLink so I speak from experience).

Gene

I can't really comment on the pricing of "your" Spidey 122 but based on my limited experience with selling through ComicLink, he has priced it according to my wishes. In addition, I did get 2 offers below my asking price so I can confirm that he does pass on offers. However, you are basically leaving it up to him to decide if the offer is reasonable enough to pass on to the seller. It's unfortunate as the seller is basically leaving it up to Josh to make the final call when it isn't even his book. Just for my information, did Josh actually inform you on a timely basis that your offer was declined or were you just left in the dark? confused.gif

Just for my information, did Josh actually inform you on a timely basis that your offer was declined or were you just left in the dark?

Just left in the dark! The only time I have had "good", responsive service from him was when I bought my ASM #121 9.6 wp for $1500 (at a time when $1500 was considered to be a big price for that book, pre-Movie Hype). I guess anything less than closing the deal on a 4-figure book is not going to get you any time from him, unfortunately. As bad as that is, I am much more disappointed that he is not returning my e-mails on this ASM #122 when I have commissioned him to be my seller! It's been more than 3 weeks since I submitted my sell form and I don't even know whether that is MY book posted on his site! How ridiculous is that?

I know a lot of people like Josh's service and that he has a great selection of books & contacts and performs the service for a very reasonable commission, etc. (I have even made some apologetic posts on his behalf in the past), but now I just have to call it like I see it. Bad customer service is bad customer service no matter how you slice it. It would only take 15 seconds to read my e-mails and another 15 seconds to type out "Yes that is your book and I will change the price to your specifications" or "No, sorry I never got your submission form - that is not your book" and respond.

Gene

Well, I must admit that sometimes, I had to double check with him with follow-up EMAILs when I told him to pull a book. But in all cases, he did respond to the second EMAIL. Don't understand why he hasn't responded to you yet. I guess that you have soured on using ComicLink again! mad.gif

He really needs to rework the bidding program. I've bid on numerous books and never heard anything back..there should at least be a set time frame for someone to expect an acceptance..and if it hasn't come by then it means it's declined..such as 3 days from time of offer.

Brian

ComicLink's policy on bid response time is accessible from the link to "For More Information On:

Placing buy orders and bidding on books"

towards the top of ComicLink's buy order form (http://www.comiclink.com/bof.html)

It is directly accessible at the following page: http://www.comiclink.com/buyorder.htm

It clearly states the following:

"Response Time

If your bid is accepted, ComicLink will usually respond within 24 hours. However, it may take up to 5 business days after your bid has been placed for ComicLink to retrieve and deliver to you the seller's response to your bid. If five days have passed and you have not been notified that your bid has been accepted, you can conclude that your offer has been declined. "

It's also a little strange that they wouldn't make counteroffers? A no response policy is kind of lame, but I imagine Josh gets bombed with so many lowball offers that it's his only choice.

It makes me think of the soup nazi episode from Seinfeld - "No comic for you!" (I've been to the actual Soup Nazi "kitchen" in NY, and he's just like that - he told my mother-in-law to "...move on..." or something to that affect).