• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Valuable Sigs

48 posts in this topic

Wow, this thread really got active. I know first-hand how addictive sig series can be, since I've blown every available cent I've had lately on Stan Lee. Another 100 or so books to go and I'm done, cause it's killing me financially, not that I really mind that so much. If we go into a great depression, I'll sell apples on the street before I sell my Stan Lee collection.

A great part two to the question that kicked off this thread would be how much does a sketch add to a signed book, especially blank covers with original art? Any thoughts?

Depends on who's sketched on the blank cover, and how badly one wants it. The one I sold didn't go for cheap.

As for cover remarks, that also depends on the artist. A cover remarked by Michael Turner, will fetch significantly more than a cover remarked by, say, Jimmy Palmiotti (No disrespect to Palmiotti. I really like the Painkiller Jane he did on one of my books... to bad that wasn't for SS).

Unlike signatures, the sketch would also depends on what the sketch or remark looks like.

We are also getting to the point where it is getting more and more expensive to get the arists to do the sketch covers. At Mid-Ohio I did:

Mike grell $50

Arvell Jones $40

Keith Pollard $40

Dave Mack $40 or $50 I can't remember

Alan Davis $10 :banana:

What about Stan Lees brother Larry Lieber??

He has written many key books including co-creating Iron Man. When I was at SDCC this year I got Stan Lee and Larry Lieber to sign a TOS 39(thanks to Chandler & Sharon). He also doesn't make many appearances and I have not heard of him doing private signings???

Very few people clamoring for Larry Leiber or Jeff Jones. They fall into the "wouldn't it be cool to get this" Silver and/or Bronze age creator on a book categories - along with the people previously mentioned but also including creators like Jim and Marie Severin, Ramona Fradon, Jim Starlin, Mike Friedrich, Mike Kaluta, Sal Buscema, etc. On a key book in the right grade, with or without another creator signature they are bound to do well.

Of course, it would be cool if someone wanted to set up a signing with any of these people. Chandler and Sharon, among others, have done a great service to collectors by tracking down and arranging private signings with older creators who don't normally go to cons any more.

Does anyone care about a Jim Warren signature series on Vampirella, Creepy or mags like those?

Yup, and I have mine. Not a high grade, but probably the only file copy, unless Jim has another, he has most of the file copies still.

creepyfile.jpg

i think there are fans out there that have some Jim Warren sigs, you don't see him everyday on the circuit.

I have a nice SS Jim Warren Creepy and an even nicer Eerie winging their way from South Dakota right now. :grin: