• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for advice on best mylar bag choice....

4 posts in this topic

I realize this has probably been covered before - feel free to point me to an existing topic if you know of one.....

I was just looking on bcemylar.com and was wondering what would be the best option for 'affordable protection' of my Uncanny X-Men's (Iss 119-145) and a few nice earlier issues I have like some DDs in the issue 50 to 60 range and a sweet ASM 140:

Arklites (1mil - 7 3/8 x 10 1/2) $39 for 100

Comic-Gards™4 mil thick Mylar® D with 3/4" rounded corner cut tab (AND BTW, WHAT IS A 'ROUNDED CORNER CUT TAB'?) (4mil - 7 1/4 x 10 1/2) $30 for 50

OR

Time-Loks® 4 mil thick Mylar D® with pre-folded flap (4mil - 7 1/4 x 10 3/4) $54 for 50

Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

I would suggest Ebay as a good source for mylars at better prices. Of course, mylites are also an option, but I like the full mylar stuff better. Arkelytes are WAY too thin for me; I like sturdier storage.

A rounded corner guard just means that the top corners where the comic is inserted have been cut into a rounded-off shape to prevent a corner from sratching the cover.

If you are on a budget the arklites are the way to go. They are also the way to go if you are gonna be bagging comics that are not worth too much. The Time-Loks are very nice and would be my personal favorite archival bag. The only thing though is that they are the most expensive. I would probably use those for your more valuable comics due to the cost.

I have only used Bill Cole's products and have not tried any of E. Gerbers. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on that brand.

I am gonna be buying some more bags sometime soon and will have to check ebay since somebody mentioned that.