• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, when IS the 'new Conan movie' coming?

81 posts in this topic

2010 seems to be the release date, but I don't believe there is even a director attached to the project yet. For what it's worth Dirk Blackman, one of the writers, posted this comment regarding the -script on his blog a few weeks ago:

"H'mm -not too much in the way of hints or Lion's Gate will have me killed. Let's just say we are going for the feel of the original stories - dark, violent, mysterious. We want the Hyborian world to be its own distinctive place and time. There will be blood and magic but we are making sure at every turn that we do not stray into the camp situation. As for story, I can't tell you what we are using, but there are elements that have been taken from here and there."

Link

Thanks for the link. I approve of "dark, violent and mysterious" and avoiding the "camp situation"!

I'm also quietly hopeful about "They absolutely see this as a franchise..." hm

I'm gagging for some serious sword and sorcery. It's been too long. Much as I enjoyed watching LOTR, it was light and fluffy kids' stuff. I miss the fantasy movies of the 'video nasty' era!

Any word on who's lined up for the lead... Schwarzenegger dropped 50lbs for the original role, but I don't see anyone else lining up for the role with those kind credentials, unless again they go with an unknown. (shrug)

....and my phone has been surprisingly quiet :whistle:lol

Thanks for the link. I approve of "dark, violent and mysterious" and avoiding the "camp situation"!

I'm also quietly hopeful about "They absolutely see this as a franchise..." hm

I'm gagging for some serious sword and sorcery. It's been too long. Much as I enjoyed watching LOTR, it was light and fluffy kids' stuff. I miss the fantasy movies of the 'video nasty' era!

I disagree that LOTR was light and fluffy kids stuff, but this will still be a different kind of "dark, violent and mysterious" and I approve. (thumbs u

LOTR was, in part, a Christian allegory. Even though Tolkein denied it in his acknowledgements, it's all there. His faith defined his work, and I could point out the hundreds of ways that make it the work that it is. It is restrained to a degree that Conan is not.

Conan is more firmly entrenched in the "Sword and Sorcery" of say, Fritz Leiber.

Bring on the Barbarian!!!!

(would love to see Fafhred and Grey Mouser also, by the way)

I disagree that LOTR was light and fluffy kids stuff, but this will still be a different kind of "dark, violent and mysterious" and I approve. (thumbs u

LOTR was, in part, a Christian allegory. Even though Tolkein denied it in his acknowledgements, it's all there. His faith defined his work, and I could point out the hundreds of ways that make it the work that it is. It is restrained to a degree that Conan is not.

Conan is more firmly entrenched in the "Sword and Sorcery" of say, Fritz Leiber.

When I dismissed LOTR as 'light and fluffy' I was talking solely about the movie adaptation, not the novels.

Put it this way, I would have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about letting my children - at ANY age - watch any and all of the LOTR movie trilogy. It's safe, child-friendly entertainment.

Much as I enjoy kids' movies, I also like to wade in murkier waters from time to time :grin:

Remember I'm not comparing books here, just movies.

Any word on who's lined up for the lead... Schwarzenegger dropped 50lbs for the original role, but I don't see anyone else lining up for the role with those kind credentials, unless again they go with an unknown. (shrug)

I heard a completely unfounded and almost certainly 'plucked out of thin air' rumour (on some message board) the Javier Bardem was up for it.

If his musculature was up to it, I'd say he was spot on! Class actor too.

javier-bardem-in-no-country-for-old-men.jpg

When I dismissed LOTR as 'light and fluffy' I was talking solely about the movie adaptation, not the novels.

Put it this way, I would have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about letting my children - at ANY age - watch any and all of the LOTR movie trilogy. It's safe, child-friendly entertainment.

Much as I enjoy kids' movies, I also like to wade in murkier waters from time to time :grin:

Remember I'm not comparing books here, just movies.

well that's what's funny- the movies are a fair bit darker than the novel!

anyway, not trying to get sidetracked or argumentative- I just thought that was an odd comment.

I am excited about a new Conan movie and hope it is dark and violent.

rarghr

I heard a completely unfounded and almost certainly 'plucked out of thin air' rumour (on some message board) the Javier Bardem was up for it.

now see, this is thinking outside the box.

Find a brilliant actor and buff him up, versus finding an ox and teaching him how to act.

I could see that. it would be a lot of work, but I could see that.

now see, this is thinking outside the box.

Find a brilliant actor and buff him up, versus finding an ox and teaching him how to act.

I could see that. it would be a lot of work, but I could see that.

interesting hm