• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, when IS the 'new Conan movie' coming?

81 posts in this topic

I disagree that LOTR was light and fluffy kids stuff, but this will still be a different kind of "dark, violent and mysterious" and I approve. (thumbs u

LOTR was, in part, a Christian allegory. Even though Tolkein denied it in his acknowledgements, it's all there. His faith defined his work, and I could point out the hundreds of ways that make it the work that it is. It is restrained to a degree that Conan is not.

Conan is more firmly entrenched in the "Sword and Sorcery" of say, Fritz Leiber.

Bring on the Barbarian!!!!

(would love to see Fafhred and Grey Mouser also, by the way)

When I dismissed LOTR as 'light and fluffy' I was talking solely about the movie adaptation, not the novels.

Put it this way, I would have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about letting my children - at ANY age - watch any and all of the LOTR movie trilogy. It's safe, child-friendly entertainment.

Much as I enjoy kids' movies, I also like to wade in murkier waters from time to time :grin:

Remember I'm not comparing books here, just movies.

well that's what's funny- the movies are a fair bit darker than the novel!

anyway, not trying to get sidetracked or argumentative- I just thought that was an odd comment.

I am excited about a new Conan movie and hope it is dark and violent.

rarghr

No worries! I'm not defending some important point here or anything. Just talking off the top of my head :grin:

I haven't read LOTR since I was about 13. As I recall it was extremely long-winded, detailed, intricate and... dry. I might've been too young for it! The movies may have been 'darker', but they were still child-friendly. The orcs may have been hideous and cruel, but only in a halloween 'ooh scary monsters!' kind of way. They weren't so much frightening as thrilling.

Sanitary sword & sorcery is all too common. Good clean sword play, scary monsters melting into pools of black ooze, magic potions that heal any injury zzz

Just compare Conan the Barbarian with Red Sonja for a good example of how to do it right, and how to do it wrong! Red Sonja is genuinely painful and embarrassing to watch. What maniac thought that an obnoxious karate kicking kid and his obsequious club-wielding comedy caretaker would be welcome additions? doh!

This was more to my liking back in the day:

Sword_and_the_sorcererposter.jpg

(thumbs u

bardem would be a good pick --- conan totally needs to have some sort of accent -- not an american or aussie or british accent (I'm sure some of those actors from "300" have the pecs for the part..but I digress). dunno if he'd have any interest -- although $15-$20 million would probably make him very interested. he's a serious actor though...he may not want to be on board for so many movies.

he needs to put on about 30 pounds of muscle. he doesn't need to be a freak like arnold, just a big athletic looking guy. bardem is already half way there. that was sufficient for hundreds of issues of his comics. Will Smith did it for Ali and I'm sure there have been others too. we already know Bardem can play violent.

No worries! I'm not defending some important point here or anything. Just talking off the top of my head :grin:

I haven't read LOTR since I was about 13. As I recall it was extremely long-winded, detailed, intricate and... dry. I might've been too young for it! The movies may have been 'darker', but they were still child-friendly. The orcs may have been hideous and cruel, but only in a halloween 'ooh scary monsters!' kind of way. They weren't so much frightening as thrilling.

Sanitary sword & sorcery is all too common. Good clean sword play, scary monsters melting into pools of black ooze, magic potions that heal any injury zzz

Just compare Conan the Barbarian with Red Sonja for a good example of how to do it right, and how to do it wrong! Red Sonja is genuinely painful and embarrassing to watch. What maniac thought that an obnoxious karate kicking kid and his obsequious club-wielding comedy caretaker would be welcome additions? doh!

This was more to my liking back in the day:

Sword_and_the_sorcererposter.jpg

(thumbs u

now, we're more on the same page. Yes, as much as I love LOTR, it is as you say. Long, detailed and dry in places. Reading LOTR is a journey, not a destination.

and I agree, dark, and kid friendly. (not light and fluffy :baiting::) )

I am very excited about a "real" Conan movie, too!

The two movies I would wet myself for are the aforementioned Fritz Leiber duo, and I wish to sweet Thrall that someone would make the science fiction classic, "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester.

bardem would be a good pick --- conan totally needs to have some sort of accent -- not an american or aussie or british accent (I'm sure some of those actors from "300" have the pecs for the part..but I digress). dunno if he'd have any interest -- although $15-$20 million would probably make him very interested. he's a serious actor though...he may not want to be on board for so many movies.

he needs to put on about 30 pounds of muscle. he doesn't need to be a freak like arnold, just a big athletic looking guy. bardem is already half way there. that was sufficient for hundreds of issues of his comics. Will Smith did it for Ali and I'm sure there have been others too. we already know Bardem can play violent.

I support the tone of this message.

He doesn't have to be Arnold, as you say, and he already has a great build.

get on a low fat, high protein diet, drop 20, add 30, and tighten up the pecs and abs, and airbrush the rest!

Any word on who's lined up for the lead... Schwarzenegger dropped 50lbs for the original role, but I don't see anyone else lining up for the role with those kind credentials, unless again they go with an unknown. (shrug)

....and my phone has been surprisingly quiet :whistle:lol

I heard a completely unfounded and almost certainly 'plucked out of thin air' rumour (on some message board) the Javier Bardem was up for it.

If his musculature was up to it, I'd say he was spot on! Class actor too.

javier-bardem-in-no-country-for-old-men.jpg

Agreed. He is awesome. I would much rather have a non "star" play Conan, and sorry but no Rock. That guy does not remind me of Conan at all. If Basil Pouldaris is still around, I hope they get that guy involved because the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is the best movie soundtrack ever!

Whomever they pick I hope it will be someone at least 6 ft 6 inches tall.

Arnold was good in the original movies but for me his height was an annoyance.

Reading the original works by Howard I allways surmised he was quite tall as he was continually refered to as a head taller than the tallest man in the room. Marvel and Dark Horse have followed this example set By R.E.H.

Brooding... Quiet...Smoldering Personality!!! Explosive in action when neccesary!Grim in demeanor, Dark hair, electric Blue Eyes!! A huge man that was described as being strong as an OX but quick and Lightfooted as a Panther!! Extremly bright considering his Barbaric Background.This is a character you have to be a little bit frightened of! He didnt talk a lot he was very quiet and only became loud while Drinking in the taverns. This is going to be a really tuff Casting.

I dont think the huge build is as important as the Dark Demeanor and slightly scary aspect of his look. I dont know how tall that Javier guy is, but that look he has in that picture makes him seem to be an intriguing possibility!!!

They've been working on this for a long time:

http://www.conanrednails.com/

Interesting! Pity the site hasn't been updated in a looong time :(

Over a year! On the Conan official site's message board they've indicated as late as last week that they are in post-production and aiming for a 2009 release date. Probably direct-to-video.

They've been working on this for a long time:

http://www.conanrednails.com/

Interesting! Pity the site hasn't been updated in a looong time :(

Over a year! On the Conan official site's message board they've indicated as late as last week that they are in post-production and aiming for a 2009 release date. Probably direct-to-video.

:(

The lackluster Conan mmorpg hasn't helped any, I'm sure. Suits and ties crunching numbers and all that.

Any word on who's lined up for the lead... Schwarzenegger dropped 50lbs for the original role, but I don't see anyone else lining up for the role with those kind credentials, unless again they go with an unknown. (shrug)

....and my phone has been surprisingly quiet :whistle:lol

I heard a completely unfounded and almost certainly 'plucked out of thin air' rumour (on some message board) the Javier Bardem was up for it.

(thumbs u

hm I can almost see it. Hair would get darkened. Maybe if he scowled more.

just thinking outside of the box here, how about Vin Diesel?

Not a terrible actor, the Riddick character personality from Pitch Black works for me, and give him the costume, the sword and oh yes, a wig and he isnt bad...

vin-diesel.jpg

Me, I'm still waiting for the John Carter Warrior of Mars movie to come out. I've been hearing rumors for years. Animated, live-action, whatever - I don't care, so long as it's good.

And how about Elric? You could hire one of those wafer-thin actors to play him.

hm I can almost see it. Hair would get darkened. Maybe if he scowled more.

This is probably the best looking Conan you will ever find. His hair should fill out within a year or a year and a half or they can simply put extensions oh him. This is a great choice.

They guy does not have to be 280 lbs. This is my first choice. Dark hair, square jaw, grim stair.

:applause:

R.